• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A few questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
Hi guys!

I'm in the process of planning my fourth All Line Rover for March of next year. As always, I will be doing 2 weeks First Class.

So, can somebody tell me what units operate on the following routes, and whether or not they have first class (even if its just a small seating section with no free food....)

NXEA Southend Victoria services (also, how far is the walk from Southend Central to Victoria?)
NXEA services from Shenfield to Ipswich
NXEA Ipswich to Cambridge
NXEA Cambridge to Liverpool Street
ScotRail services to Stranraer
Scotrail services to Largs
Scotrail to Wemyss Bay
SCotrail to Mallaig
Scotrail to Oban
Southeastern services to Sheerness-on-Sea
Merseyrail services from Liverpool to Southport
Northern services to/from Southport
C2C services

All help much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

ScotRail to Mallaig and Oban is entirely run by 156s, all standard class. The nearest you can get to first class is by using the seated sleeper between Edinburgh and Fort William.

Ipswich to Cambridge is often run by 153s, not aware of any first class on this route but check the timetables for any 1 symbols.

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of planning my fourth All Line Rover for March of next year. As always, I will be doing 2 weeks First Class.

So, can somebody tell me what units operate on the following routes, and whether or not they have first class (even if its just a small seating section with no free food....)

Southeastern services to Sheerness-on-Sea
C2C services

All help much appreciated!

Trains from Sittingbourne to Sheerness-on-Sea are usually formed of a single Class 466, but at times there have been 465/2, 465/9, a pair of 466s or a 375/3. All have no First Class except the rare occasions when a 465/9 is on the line, and then it's declassified as there aren't any FC fares on the system for the branch!

C2C services are all formed of Class 357 Electrostar units which do not have First Class accommodation.

Last edited:

d1015fan

C2C use the 357 electrostars First Class
Services to ipswich can be 90+DVT, 321 units and 313's First Class (90 will get you food)
Cambridge to liverpool street also 313's if i remember correctly (first class)
Southeastern can kick out a 375,465 or 468 usually a 375 to sheerness if I remember (first class)
Mersey rail will be a 507/508 (pretty sure no first class)
Northern use 142, 156 to southport usually (no first class)

Hope that helps

MCR247

Established Member
C2C use the 357 electrostars First Class
Services to ipswich can be 90+DVT, 321 units and 313's First Class (90 will get you food)
Cambridge to liverpool street also 313's if i remember correctly (first class)
Southeastern can kick out a 375,465 or 468 usually a 375 to sheerness if I remember (first class)
Mersey rail will be a 507/508 (pretty sure no first class)
Northern use 142, 156 to southport usually (no first class)

Hope that helps

Rubbish.

c2c is standard class only
NXEA don't run 313s. You will get a MK3 set 321 or 360 to Ipswich (all have 1st class). Cambridge to Liverpool St will be 317s with first class.
468s don't exist.
The Sheerness line is usually a 466
Merseyrail and Northern don't do first class

mrcheek

Established Member
Thanks for all the help so far guys!

so that just leaves:
NXEA Southend Victoria to Shenfield
ScotRail services to Stranraer
Scotrail services to Largs
Scotrail to Wemyss Bay

MCR247

Established Member
none of those SR ones will have FC but the NXEA will

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Ipswich-Cambridge is now supposed to be almost-all two-car 170s since the timetable change I'm pretty sure- one of the results of 170s not running to Liverpool Street. However, as the service was previously 153s or 156s, and still can be, I'd guss FC is declassified on the route?

Cambridge-Liverpool Street uses the full range of 317s (including Stansted Express units) that NXEA have. This means First Class varies from being 2+2 with no tables, in an open saloon in the middle of non-driving trailer, to big 2+1 seats with tables in a driving car, with doors to the vestibules.

The services to Oban and Mallaig are exclusively 156s, which have no 1st class. Wemyss Bay is on the Glasgow electric network, which has no first class throughout all classes- not sure what class runs on those service and whether or not this changes with the 380 introduction.

lemonic

Ipswich-Cambridge is now supposed to be almost-all two-car 170s since the timetable change I'm pretty sure- one of the results of 170s not running to Liverpool Street. However, as the service was previously 153s or 156s, and still can be, I'd guss FC is declassified on the route?

Yes, 2 carriage 170s are booked for almost all Ipswich-Cambridge services now, but the trains are marked as First Class in the timetable so I would say it is extremely unlikely to be declassified.

Also, just to clarify, there is no free food on Norwich-London services (operated by Class 90+Mk3 sets) and these services no longer (or very rarely)call at Shenfield.

And finally, almost every single train from Southend Victoria to Shenfield is a Class 321 EMU which has First Class but it is pretty basic.

Fred26

If you've never been on the route between Shenfield and Southend Vic, don't get your hopes up. It's very dull. The only thing to see of note is The River Crouch from Rayeigh... and you can't really see that.

mrcheek

Established Member
If you've never been on the route between Shenfield and Southend Vic, don't get your hopes up. It's very dull. The only thing to see of note is The River Crouch from Rayeigh... and you can't really see that.

Its just a way to get off the C2C route without doubling back

Fred26

Ok then. It's a ten minute walk between the two main Southend stations, but don't follow Google Maps. Walk straight down the High Street. You'll have to go through the shopping centre next to Southend Vic to save time. Easy to navigate though.

junglejames

Established Member
Snap. Im also doing a 2 week first class in March. However after working it all out, realised i couldnt fit everything in, so this will be followed by a 1 week standard class, where i concentrate on Northern Services. Doesnt help that im doing the Wag express twice, and spending all day going up and down the GEML!!
I think about the only thing you asked about, which has not been answered, is the Stranraer branch. This has always been a 156 whenever I have done it. Some services start from Glasgow, sometimes you have to change at Ayr. There is no 1st class.

mrcheek

Established Member
On a related note, does anybody know if any of the East Midlands services have 1st class (apart from trains to and from St Pancras, which obviously do)

junglejames

Established Member
On a related note, does anybody know if any of the East Midlands services have 1st class (apart from trains to and from St Pancras, which obviously do)

I dont know about all of them, but most of them dont. Liverpool to Norwich doesnt, and the services to Skeggie and Lincoln etc dont have either.

You doing the Wag Express and WSMR? You get free food with them apparently.

mrcheek

Established Member
I dont know about all of them, but most of them dont. Liverpool to Norwich doesnt, and the services to Skeggie and Lincoln etc dont have either.

You doing the Wag Express and WSMR? You get free food with them apparently.

I did WSMR two years ago.
And the WAG express doesnt run at very convenient times. Anyway, Ive been to Holyhead before.

Another one: What type of units are used on Northern services between Bradford Interchange and Preston? I assume its pacers...

junglejames

Established Member
I did WSMR two years ago.
And the WAG express doesnt run at very convenient times. Anyway, Ive been to Holyhead before.

Another one: What type of units are used on Northern services between Bradford Interchange and Preston? I assume its pacers...

Im guessing 158s. But could be wrong

mrcheek

Established Member
I keep remembering more things:
How long does i take to walk from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen Street?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure I've done the walk in 10 minutes, although it has taken me longer when I;ve stopped off at MacColl's!

tbtc

Veteran Member
What type of units are used on Northern services between Bradford Interchange and Preston? I assume its pacers...

The York - Blackpool service is 158s, usually the "three car" ones (though some have recently been filling in on Doncaster - Leeds duties, due to 321 reliability issues)

mrcheek

Established Member
OK, last question now. Until I think of another:
FCC services to Brighton. What units? And is there 1st class?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Sorry to be a nuisance, only the careful planning of an ALR, working out lots of convoluted routes to cover as much track as possible, is the most fun part of it!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
FCC to Brighton is 319s and 377s. All the latter have 1st class- not sure about the former, as there were some didn't.

Northern, Chiltern, Merseyrail and c2c have no 1st class on any services whatsoever

MCR247

Established Member
FCC TL uses 319s and 377s which both have 1st class IIRC. Although there is absolutely no difference at all between 377 Standard class and 377 first class as I don't think FCC even use those Antimacassars that SN use

Status
Not open for further replies.