• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Good website for mechanical boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Good find mate! I suppose this kind of site is of interest to you even more now ;)

Went inside Basingstoke during work experience. A very interesting place although unfortunately I forgot my camera :( Got caught out by Freightliners when entering and exiting the place on the walkway from platform 5 to the box where you have to cross the track that leads from the Reading line onto the mainline. It aint half different when you are just feet away from a 66 and it's load of containers moving at about 30mph, standing on the ground compared to when on a platform!

nutter

Unfortunatly the bravo (phonetic to avoid trouble ;)) at NR have decided to replace the semaphores at codsall, cosford and the remaining at Madley Jun. with those new 2 'bulb' LED lights. I'd love to work with semaphores but i think my chance has past :cry: :cry: :cry:. Still, in theroy i'll get plenty of box visits.

http://tillyweb.biz/gallery/mm/madeleyjuncwestcad2.jpg

Cool, simsig at wellington, i could have a hotel ;) of a lot of fun with that

devon_metro

Established Member
Me thinks i need to apply to be a signaller at Buckfastleigh, when i'm older that is! Is there an age limit to signalling?

Tomnick

Established Member
18's the minimum age for signalling, at least on preserved railways. It's quite achievable too! I was passed out and had worked my first turn within a couple of weeks of my 18th birthday :).

Coxster

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
4 years... :sigh:
There are plenty of other things you could do on a preserved railway. Many railways have 'youth groups'.

Nick

Yea as Damon said you can be taken onto a preserved line under supervision at 14. You'll be able to work as Platform staff, possibly a trainee ticket inspector or maybe able to work 'down shed (kettle or diesel depending on your pref). Theres plenty you can do for them 4 years your waiting and trust me the time will fly...so why not get involved down SDR?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Age limits for different roles can vary from railway to railway, usually depending on things like insurance cover and HSE approval. The absolute minimum allowed by law for safety critical jobs to be carried out unsupervised is 18 though IIRC.

Tomnick

Established Member
Remember that railway experience in other, non safety-critical roles is essential first. Do some platform work or ticket inspecting!

devon_metro

Established Member
Nick said:
Yea as Damon said you can be taken onto a preserved line under supervision at 14. You'll be able to work as Platform staff, possibly a trainee ticket inspector or maybe able to work 'down shed (kettle or diesel depending on your pref). Theres plenty you can do for them 4 years your waiting and trust me the time will fly...so why not get involved down SDR?

I plan to, just need to fugure out how to volunteer, the form states a membership of some kind so i am guessing it requires membership!

Coxster

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
I plan to, just need to fugure out how to volunteer, the form states a membership of some kind so i am guessing it requires membership!
Well yes. This is normally an annual amount, although some railways do 3/5/life time memberships, aswell as cheaper membership offers for under 16s.

Guinness

Established Member
Excellent site although it could be layout slightly better just very good nether the less. :(

I personally wouldn't mind getting into signalling it's has always fascinated me. :)

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't need to pay for membership of the supporting society of either railway I volunteer on - the M&GNJRS supports the NNR, and doesn't really necessarily involve voluntary staff, and GCR volunteers automatically become 'working Friends of the GCR'.

Chaz is right though...it's a fascinating little system ;).

Nick W

Established Member
Fascinating indeed.

It's amazing that the relatively actions by one person in one place indirectly affects the movement of a great big engine.

nutter

Nick W said:
Fascinating indeed.

It's amazing that the relatively actions by one person in one place indirectly affects the movement of a great big engine.

Yep, thats called the driver, we're on about signallers ;)

The reason why it's indirect, well the driver SUGGESTS for the train to move but IME it never does.

Whats the saying, there is no point in signallers without drivers and there ain't no point in drivers without signallers.

Glad everyone likes the find.

and as for chaz, if you want it, go and get it. Most heritage railways have youth teams which means you can do all sorts of work, including working in the S&T department

Tomnick

Established Member
nutter said:
Whats the saying, there is no point in signallers without drivers and there ain't no point in drivers without signallers.
No, the saying is that the driver's just driving the guard's train on the signalman's railway ;).

Only joking...if there's any drivers here!

Guinness

Established Member
nutter said:
and as for chaz, if you want it, go and get it. Most heritage railways have youth teams which means you can do all sorts of work, including working in the S&T department

Not a bad idea actually. :)

Tomnick

Established Member
Not a bad 'box, that one! I like your ETB instruments too - can offer trains much quicker, without '3-1' sounding more like two bells and two clicks at the other end! Don't envy you for having a level crossing though ;).

The 158 Man

The LC gives you more to do, but it's awkward because without walking fully outside on to the steps, you can't really see if there's traffic approaching.

Two kids we're messing about on quad bikes the other day, and were trying to beat the gates as they were opening etc. Little sods! :thebirdm: :knob:

lol.

Tomnick

Established Member
That's why I'm quite happy that I don't have to deal with level crossings! That, and numpty pedestrians, is a problem I'd rather like to avoid!

Just got the traincrews to deal with now...;).

Signalman

I have just found this website, I am a signaller on London Underground.

The law states that you have to be 18 years old to carry out safety critical roles unsupervised. However, LU does run an apprenticeship scheme and you could be working a signal box at 16 (supervised). The apprenticeship scheme also allows you to chose to be a Train Operator or a Station Supervisor.

Anyway, I have a few pictures of the signal cabins I work in, http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Signalman

I am not a photographer so I do apologise!

Guinness

Established Member
Signalman said:
I have just found this website, I am a signaller on London Underground.

The law states that you have to be 18 years old to carry out safety critical roles unsupervised. However, LU does run an apprenticeship scheme and you could be working a signal box at 16 (supervised). The apprenticeship scheme also allows you to chose to be a Train Operator or a Station Supervisor.

Anyway, I have a few pictures of the signal cabins I work in, http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Signalman

I am not a photographer so I do apologise!

Interesting :) Where on the LU Network are you based?

No need to apologise, I find all your pictures quite interesting. :) Keep up the good work.

Tomnick

Established Member
Interesting photos! Still can't get used to this idea of track circuits lighting up when there's nothing there though - we usually shout for S&T when that happens ;).

Signalman

Its a fail-safe design. If a bulb blows we have to assume a train is there. What do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.