• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A new BVE in development called "openBVE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just been looking around other railway forums and at the Trainsimcentral and BVE4.net Forum I found in the Announcements section a program in development called "openBVE" it looks very good and it works on Vista, so go ahead and check out this forum.

David R Coleman
JLE Creator (old)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LondonBVE

It was announced very back then in Mid April and its existence was to fix the problem with BVE on Vista and new graphics card that supports Shader 4.0 and above only.

Here is the thread in TSC's forum where it started and the author is reschanger.

I have not try it but hope to try it in the future, looks promising.

reschanger

It was announced very back then in Mid April and its existence was to fix the problem with BVE on Vista and new graphics card that supports Shader 4.0 and above only.
Nice try, but wrong. My main intent was to write a new train simulator that I could expand with new features as mackoy does not seem to develop any more for BVE. Also, open sourcing the game ensures that should I lose interest in the project one day, others can make whatever they want with it. However, I did not start working on the game to fulfill the needs of Vista gamers, nor does openBVE use Shader 4.0.

class 313

Established Member
Nice try, but wrong. My main intent was to write a new train simulator that I could expand with new features as mackoy does not seem to develop any more for BVE. Also, open sourcing the game ensures that should I lose interest in the project one day, others can make whatever they want with it. However, I did not start working on the game to fulfill the needs of Vista gamers, nor does openBVE use Shader 4.0.

I know openBVE will be as great as your resolution changer, I can't wait till openBVE fully supports BVE4! But there's one question, will there be a way to have a menu like BVE Route Randomiser so you can select the different trains/routes from where the trains/routes are located, instead of editing the settings as you do now?

reschanger

This is an alpha version (currently 0.4 by the way), so there are some restrictions in usability. For a final release, do you really think that editing an external text file is the way it is intended to be? Well, to say the actual words: No. Of course there will be a menu, and yes, you can select route and train separately. Even more, as openBVE will feature a completely different model of storing trains and individual cars, you might even be able to select the consist you want to drive by picking individual cars. Please see the homepage, especially the Features section, for more information.

Dennis

Established Member
Downloaded the latest version last night and I must say I'm impressed; I shall certainly be considering the opportunities OpenBVE provides in my future route building.

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a vid here ;not great (I had a 5 minute play at modifying the stock) but it does show the external views available and the much smoother display than I normally get from 'classic' BVE.

Bill EWS

I am finding the progress on OpenBVE very interesting and hope that it will succeed. I haven't been able to get the programme downloads to work as yet but perhaps it's best to wait until the programme has more BVE add-ons going. I just hope that the frame rates will remain high.

However, thought that I would add my little bit of 'wants', if it's possible. While BVE tells you when the train is overspeeding on a line speed or temporary check, it doesn't appear to be able to tell you when you are overspeeding with the loco or unit. If the maximum speed of a lthe Line is 100mph or more but the loco is, say, 95mph or even 60mph, I feel that you should get a warning when you go over the loco/Unit speed. Just a thought!

Personally, I am not all that fussed about the outside views but what I have seen of OpenBVE (On YouTube) I am impressed with the smoothness of the screen image at speed and hope that it will keep this up as the programme progresses.

Cheers.

Bill EWS.

class 313

Established Member
I am finding the progress on OpenBVE very interesting and hope that it will succeed. I haven't been able to get the programme downloads to work as yet but perhaps it's best to wait until the programme has more BVE add-ons going. I just hope that the frame rates will remain high.

However, thought that I would add my little bit of 'wants', if it's possible. While BVE tells you when the train is overspeeding on a line speed or temporary check, it doesn't appear to be able to tell you when you are overspeeding with the loco or unit. If the maximum speed of a lthe Line is 100mph or more but the loco is, say, 95mph or even 60mph, I feel that you should get a warning when you go over the loco/Unit speed. Just a thought!

Personally, I am not all that fussed about the outside views but what I have seen of OpenBVE (On YouTube) I am impressed with the smoothness of the screen image at speed and hope that it will keep this up as the programme progresses.

Cheers.

Bill EWS.

I swear it does on a few routes, especially with the 66. But I'm not sure.

Bill EWS

Class 313, You are thinking of the latest loco's such as the Class 66, which shut the engine down to idling when you go over the maximum speed for the loco and you can't regain power until speed drops by at least 5 mph. But in most cases we are talking about 'Classic' locos, where that technology wasn't available or considered necessary at that time.

When you run a train you run to the slowest vehicle within it's load. That could be the loco or just one wagon in the consist. Therefore you drive your train accordingly. In this case, in BVE, apart from what I have already mentioned, there is nothing to stop a driver going as fast at they like. In reality you could well be in trouble, such as the loco or a wagon derailing on the run. Just because you got from one end to the other at a rediculous speed in BVE doesn't mean you have driven the train as it should. I feel that an indication reminding the BVE driver that he/she is going too fast for the Loco or train on a highier speed line would at least let them know that while it's fun it certainly isn't correct driving practice and in relaity they probably would not have got away with it and even if they did the wires would be red hot from signalbox timing records to management looking for your blood and job.

However, this was just a thought and if it isn't considered necessary building into OpenBVE then that's OK with me.

class 313

Established Member
Class 313, You are thinking of the latest loco's such as the Class 66, which shut the engine down to idling when you go over the maximum speed for the loco and you can't regain power until speed drops by at least 5 mph. But in most cases we are talking about 'Classic' locos, where that technology wasn't available or considered necessary at that time.

When you run a train you run to the slowest vehicle within it's load. That could be the loco or just one wagon in the consist. Therefore you drive your train accordingly. In this case, in BVE, apart from what I have already mentioned, there is nothing to stop a driver going as fast at they like. In reality you could well be in trouble, such as the loco or a wagon derailing on the run. Just because you got from one end to the other at a rediculous speed in BVE doesn't mean you have driven the train as it should. I feel that an indication reminding the BVE driver that he/she is going too fast for the Loco or train on a highier speed line would at least let them know that while it's fun it certainly isn't correct driving practice and in relaity they probably would not have got away with it and even if they did the wires would be red hot from signalbox timing records to management looking for your blood and job.

However, this was just a thought and if it isn't considered necessary building into OpenBVE then that's OK with me.

Indeed, I noticed this with the 66. But thanks for explaining!

I have currently been playing around with openBVE and I have made up some trains for outside views, I have made a 1992 central line stock and a 1995 Northern Line stock currently testing them on the BVE Northern Line route with openBVE, I will post some screenshot shortly.

David R Coleman
JLE Creator (old)

I'm Insane

sorry if this is slightly off-topic but neither winzip or 7zip versions seem to open on my computer, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to open them just so i know whether i'm doing it wrong or that my computers just too useless to do the task.

P156KWJ

Established Member
sorry if this is slightly off-topic but neither winzip or 7zip versions seem to open on my computer, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to open them just so i know whether i'm doing it wrong or that my computers just too useless to do the task.

are you extracting the contents in to the correct directory?

I'm Insane

thanks, the problem is that it won't download properly, i've tried about 10 times and it downloads about 50kb and then stops

Bill EWS

I have been having similar trouble too and have tried redownloading numerous times. I have 7zip. I also have Winzip but it isn't registered but normally lets me open zipped files but it refuses to unzip OpenBVE file stating that it isn't a 32 Fat file. However, according to 7zip the file is on my computer but I just can't find it. Not even with a full hard drive search using the correct file name. yet 7zip keeps asking if I want to over write the file. Strange indeed! I just gave up on it.

Is there a reason why the download couldn't be done in the same way as when you download Routes or Trains, which is very straight forward?

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Last edited:

I'm Insane

it's annoying isn't it.
I managed to download it using the getright download manager( i got it from cnet rather than the getright website) but now when i try to run openbve it crashes cos its looking for the wrong file name.

reschanger

:arrow: Version 0.5.0.0 is available now.

This version introduces a lot of things:
  • Motor, flange, rub, run and some other sounds
  • ATS-SN, ATS-P and ATC security systems, including the lamps
  • EB (or deadman's device)
  • Fullscreen mode
  • Support for fog (via Track.Fog command)
  • Route selection dialog
  • Preliminary interface translation support
As all BVE 2 material should be playable with only minor incompatibilities, this version is the first to be considered a beta version, and thus a playable version of the game.

Greetings, Michelle

Last edited:

class 313

Established Member
:arrow: Version 0.5.0.0 is available now.

This version introduces a lot of things:
  • Motor, flange, rub, run and some other sounds
  • ATS-SN, ATS-P and ATC security systems, including the lamps
  • EB (or deadman's device)
  • Fullscreen mode
  • Support for fog (via Track.Fog command)
  • Route selection dialog
  • Preliminary interface translation support
As all BVE 2 material should be playable with only minor incompatibilities, this version is the first to be considered a beta version, and thus a playable version of the game.

Greetings, Michelle

Glad to see this steaming along at a great rate! So is this just for BVE2 at the moment or 4 as well?

Dennis

Established Member
Glad to see this steaming along at a great rate! So is this just for BVE2 at the moment or 4 as well?

AFAIK, OpenBVE does not yet support object files in .x format, which are used quite extensively in BVE4 routes. Apart from that, I have not had any problems running BVE 4 routes (although being WIP, full functionality is still being added).

Off to download the latest version now....thanks Michelle.

I have got some problems with some routes, like the Northern Line route and routes that involve tunnels that are used in underground routes, they are very transparent, any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.