• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question about Class 800s/801s/802s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
Again, it varies by driver. A few will drive in boost mode all the time but I personally just leave it on the default setting which is eco mode. You can change to boost mode using the TMS. Even in eco mode, there is usually enough time/padding to be on time if not a few minutes early assuming obviously you don’t encounter any delays or cautionary aspects.

The only time usually I’ll have boost mode on is either when there is a traction motor isolated or locked (in which case boost mode is put on by default) or when relieving a driver at Preston, if it’s already put in boost mode I probably won’t bother changing it back to eco mode. Also, I might put it on when train is delayed by more than a few minutes.

On top of my head, there is no difference up to 50mph and then beyond 50mph, in eco mode only 85% of the traction power is used.

Reminds me actually, I want to try timing 0-125mph with and without boost mode and 221s.
Does use of boost mode show up in OTMR downloads?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Does use of boost mode show up in OTMR downloads?

*I think* there is only one thing that the OTDR/OTMR can’t show and *I think* it is whether the train is in eco mode or boost mode. Now that you’ve mentioned it, I seem to recall having a conversation about this with a manager but I’m not sure if I’m imagining it.

Regardless, there is nothing wrong with having boost mode on all the time as some have the philosophy of “why are we slowing down a high speed train”. Safety first, punctuality second and then eco driving is the order of priorities.

My last post should have said traction pack not motor.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
I’m really confused then. A lot of my colleagues have notice a number of them being faster, I’ve posted about it here and other drivers at other depots have posted the same on the wnxx forum. I absolutely guarantee that the unit numbers I posted above are producing high 80% power as opposed to low 70% power on each GU, with the exception of the GU with no APS output which is producing on average around 93%, through the entire acceleration range, not up to around 30mph and tailing off as they were before. We are hitting Saltford Tunnel at 100 now on departure from Bristol, it used to be a struggle to reach 100 before braking for Bath. And still was yesterday when I had 800031 and 800008, neither of which were producing higher engine performance.

Either that or we are all having a mass delusion. Only yesterday another driver walked into the messroom and said ‘wow, those uprated 800s really fly don’t they?’
800312 seems to be uprated to Class 802 levels of power in diesel mode but no more than that. Comparing the data on an up run starting from Tiverton up to Whiteball, it was equal to - but no faster than the best Class 802 runs we have recorded. 3 mins 45 seconds to MP104. Derated Voyagers get there in just over 3 mins!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This seems like the thread to ask this:

When in diesel mode do the IETs engines run at constant revs regardless of power demand or do they rev up in stages depending on the postion of the power controller and power demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.