• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question about splitting tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searle

Established Member
So I need to get a return to Guildford next Saturday, from Hertford North. I could get a return for £13.80, but I also worked out I could get a Travelcard into London for £8.60, and then a return from Surbiton (the closest station in zone 6 to Guildford), for £4.35, equaling a total cost of £12.95, and the freedom of a Travelcard.

However, the train from Waterloo to Guildford stops at Clapham Junction, and then Woking, passing by Surbiton. Will this mean that I'm unable to use my combinations of tickets, as it'd be impossible for me to get on at Surbiton, as the ticket says, or will this not matter. Thanks! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

benk1342

Instead of a return from Surbiton you should get a return from Boundary Zone 6 to Guildford which is the same price as the ticket from Surbiton. Then the train is not required to stop at any particular station.

Note though that it is £6.10 (with railcard) for a return from either Surbiton or BZ6 --- the £4.35 fare is a single.

IanD

Established Member
Looks like the £4.35 is a railcard single. The return is £6.10 - whether you get from Surbiton or Boundary Zone 6. The total with the £6.10 is £14.70 so dearer than the through ticket.

Amended after comments from 34D and Benk1342 below:

Your train would need to stop at Surbiton if you bought a ticket to Surbiton!

Last edited:

benk1342

A travelcard is (i believe) a zonal ticket so ther is no need to stop at Surbiton.

Zonal tickets are only exempt from the stopping requirement if both tickets are zonal, see NRCoC 19.

Boundary Zone tickets are a separate issue --- as there are no stations on the boundary of zone six there is necessarily no need for the train to stop there.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Looks like the £4.35 is a railcard single. The return is £6.10 - whether you get from Surbiton or Boundary Zone 6. A travelcard is (I believe) a zonal ticket so there is no need to stop at Surbiton. The total with the £6.10 is £14.70 so dearer than the through ticket.

With the boundary zone ticket the train does not need to stop at Surbiton as this is an excess/extension to the travelcard. A ticket from Surbiton would require the train to stop unless one of the tickets is a season ticket (as defined in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage).

Searle

Established Member
oh yes, for some reason I forgot to add returns to my tickets, sorry, just me being stupid.

This Boundary zone ticket sounds good, although I've never heard of one, how would I go about getting one?

benk1342

oh yes, for some reason I forgot to add returns to my tickets, sorry, just me being stupid.

This Boundary zone ticket sounds good, although I've never heard of one, how would I go about getting one?

You have to get them from a ticket office. They will want to see your travelcard.

Searle

Established Member
You have to get them from a ticket office. They will want to see your travelcard.

ok, thanks

On a similar note, is there anywhere on the internet that gives more details about these boundary zone tickets? Can't seem to find anywhere that does

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
So I need to get a return to Guildford next Saturday, from Hertford North. I could get a return for £13.80, but I also worked out I could get a Travelcard into London for £8.60, and then a return from Surbiton (the closest station in zone 6 to Guildford), for £4.35, equaling a total cost of £12.95, and the freedom of a Travelcard.

However, the train from Waterloo to Guildford stops at Clapham Junction, and then Woking, passing by Surbiton. Will this mean that I'm unable to use my combinations of tickets, as it'd be impossible for me to get on at Surbiton, as the ticket says, or will this not matter. Thanks! :)

In answer to the original question you could get a slow train that stops a t Surbiton to Woking then change, but for the saving I wouldn't have thought that would be worth it.

Anyway that is rather irrelevant now as the boundary zone 6 ticket is a better option.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They *should* ask to see the Travelcard, so unless it is being bought at the same time, it is good advice to take it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.