• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A rather unusual vending machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishdunster

There is a pub in Poole Dorset with a vibrator vending machine in the gents, £5 inc batteries, I jest not !:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hartington

Back in the 1950s I can remember vending machines selling milk - they used pyramid/triangular boxes and you just ripped one corner off (often with teeth) to get at the milk.

Around the same time, probably a little later, into the 60s there was an orange drink in a similar container called Jubbly which my school put in the freezer and sold as a form of ice lolly.

But if you want full on vending machines go to Japan. If you look closely enough you can find almost anything in a vending machine on a major station there.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
There is a pub in Poole Dorset with a vibrator vending machine in the gents, £5 inc batteries, I jest not !:oops:

There used to be a vibrator machine on Platform 4 (now 6) at Crewe. It had a different meaning in those days. Insert your coin, step on a metal plate and it gave your weary feet a reviving, vibrating massage.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The strangest vending machine I have seen was in Hamburg airport. It sold iPads.

One of the few places it would be safe I guess

and if it's like most vending machines on stations someone will have left their change in it not realising that they give change. (I've got 50p out of the vending machines at leicester on more than one occasion ;))

Thanks for the tip :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think the dispensing of condoms is a great idea.

I remember a machine in Oxford, someone wrote on it in black marker "my dad said these dont work" lol

6Gman

Established Member
Rather off-topic, but the warm air hand dryer in the Gents at Sheffield Midland station in the mid-80s carried the following graffiti:

Press here for a speech by Arthur Scargill.

JakeGrey

I remember at one point, Cambridge station had a chip vending machine - yes, chips as in french fries, not crisps. I don't think it really took off as it was gone after a year or so.
Northampton General Hospital had one of those as well. The chips were those dire McCains microwavable ones, and about three quid a portion to boot. Small wonder they never caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.