• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A shift in the needs of the business

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl998yr

Im an on hold candidate for a trainee driver role at sheffield and have been since the summer of last year

I recently emailed HR to see if there had been any developments

The response included the following

Unfortunately there has not been any movement in regards to this vacancy, due to a shift in needs of the business. Unfortunately we can't guarantee when somebody has gone on hold, that there will be an available role, again this is due to needs of the business.

Is this Northerns polite way of saying at the time of applying there were projected vacancies for Sheffield but there arent anymore?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Im an on hold candidate for a trainee driver role at sheffield and have been since the summer of last year

I recently emailed HR to see if there had been any developments

The response included the following

Unfortunately there has not been any movement in regards to this vacancy, due to a shift in needs of the business. Unfortunately we can't guarantee when somebody has gone on hold, that there will be an available role, again this is due to needs of the business.

Is this Northerns polite way of saying at the time of applying there were projected vacancies for Sheffield but there arent anymore?

A very similar thing was sent out after ATW advertised trainees for Crewe recently. Yes, business needs shift, and I think the large number of freight driver redundancies in the midlands and north has a large part to play in resourcing policy at the moment, but it could equally be due to changes in franchise commitments.

MadeinWigan

I wouldn't give up, just carry on with life and it may come good in the future.

I was on hold for over two years and was given a variety of reason as to why no positions were available. Eventually, I asked if I could be considered for a Manchester vacancy, had the interview and I'm coming to the end of training.

karl998yr

I wouldn't give up, just carry on with life and it may come good in the future.

I was on hold for over two years and was given a variety of reason as to why no positions were available. Eventually, I asked if I could be considered for a Manchester vacancy, had the interview and I'm coming to the end of training.

Thats comforting to know. Ive seen vacancies for leeds advertised since ive been on hold but thought well im already there. Its just a case of waiting for the call.
Where did you originally apply for??

MadeinWigan

Speak with HR and see if you can be considered for Leeds or any other depot within the time limits. I kept in touch with HR without pestering them.

I was originally down for Wigan, Manchester was within the 45 min time and I'm happy here, it's a busy depot and always something going on.

Starman

I too am in a similar position. I've been on hold with London Midland since summer last year. When I asked them if the redundant freight drivers they were taking on would affect my chances of securing a position I was told not necessarily as there is still a requirement for trainees. The last email I received stated that no courses were anticipated before June and with this in mind 12 months would have elapsed since my managers interview therefore I would be required to sit another interview. I also asked if a new TOC was announced to be running the franchise in June then where would this leave me? Their reply was that if this was the case they would still have the franchise until October. I'm slightly confused by 2 things. 1. When I passed the process last year this included the medical. I was under the impression that this would be the last hurdle so why the need for reinterview? 2. If London Midland do lose the franchise is it really likely that trainees will be took on with only 4 months left of running the franchise?

karl998yr

I too am in a similar position. I've been on hold with London Midland since summer last year. When I asked them if the redundant freight drivers they were taking on would affect my chances of securing a position I was told not necessarily as there is still a requirement for trainees. The last email I received stated that no courses were anticipated before June and with this in mind 12 months would have elapsed since my managers interview therefore I would be required to sit another interview. I also asked if a new TOC was announced to be running the franchise in June then where would this leave me? Their reply was that if this was the case they would still have the franchise until October. I'm slightly confused by 2 things. 1. When I passed the process last year this included the medical. I was under the impression that this would be the last hurdle so why the need for reinterview? 2. If London Midland do lose the franchise is it really likely that trainees will be took on with only 4 months left of running the franchise?

I havent had a medical yet for Northern. Thats usually one of the last things so for you to have had yours you must have been really optimistic at the time.
I think my depot managers interview was around May time last year so its now beyond tbe 9 months that Northern work towards. Its likely i will have to be re-interviewed assuming anything materialises now.
Its all very frustrating and difficult not to plan your life without this being on your mind. Ive been offered voluntary redundancy at work & the payout is reasonably attractive but ive nothing else lined up to go to! If i knew it was a case of when and not if i might well go for it but now it seems its if and not when

Starman

I empathise I too have made adjustments on the basis that I was told at interview I would be starting on an October 2016 course. With that in mind I cancelled a holiday and stopped paying contributions to my firefighters pension scheme which after 15 years service was a huge decision to make. Frustrating to say the least!

karl998yr

I empathise I too have made adjustments on the basis that I was told at interview I would be starting on an October 2016 course. With that in mind I cancelled a holiday and stopped paying contributions to my firefighters pension scheme which after 15 years service was a huge decision to make. Frustrating to say the least!

Ive been a cop for nearly 16 years. Seeing as our pension is now pay more in for longer for less return i think i might opt out and have a few extra quid in my pocket each month. The benefits of the old scheme are frozen and protected.
Makes sense seeing as i plan to move on regardless. The big issue for me is do i take voluntary redundancy? The payment id receive would pay off my mortgage but Seeing as ive just had an email from bloody royal mail saying ive been unsuccessful applying for a damn postal worker role i might not risk it.
Not as easy as it seems this job hunting malarky

Starman

I see your predicament and as for the postal worker role that's shocking! I've reached the same conclusion in that whatever happens I won't be staying in the fire service for the next 19 years however I won't be seeking alternative employment until I've exhausted all avenues with regard to gaining a position as trainee train driver. When I decided to pursue this career I was well aware of the time frames involved and the patience required it's just frustrating as I mentioned earlier that I was given the impression that I would have started by now. In fairness when I was told this the redundant freight drivers were not part of the bigger picture so I'm not really blaming anybody just venting some frustration I suppose lol.

Twice blue

12yrs in police and also applied in May last year for Darlington. Now out of 9mth period and a bit gutted to not have got a start. HR have been great and still hoping to get a start this year.

craigybagel

Established Member
The shift in the needs is most likely that they don't need trainees any more, because there is a pool of freight drivers desperate to avoid redundancy that they can use instead.

karl998yr

The shift in the needs is most likely that they don't need trainees any more, because there is a pool of freight drivers desperate to avoid redundancy that they can use instead.

That appears to be the case here. Bad timing is the story of my life. Different people are speaking to different people in HR and getting different answers though so you can never tell.

I will probably get a call in about 3 years time when i least expect it

theironroad

Established Member
That appears to be the case here. Bad timing is the story of my life. Different people are speaking to different people in HR and getting different answers though so you can never tell.

I will probably get a call in about 3 years time when i least expect it

About sums it up.

A few years back I recall a guy who had forgotten about his trainee application until out of the blue he got a call asking if he was still interested .... about seven years after he'd applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.