• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abandoned wagons and rolling stock on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
There is two short wheelbase tanks amongst the undergrowth just south of Chesterfield Station on the right if travelling north
Is there still a load of 100te tank waggons lying at the bottom of an embankment in that area, on the left if heading north?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
There's an abandoned coach in a rather sorry state near what used to be Otterington station between Thirsk and Northallerton. I'll try to photograph it sometime.
TBH, I hardly think that the coach at Otterington can be described as being 'abandoned on the network'. It was deliberately moved there by road some years ago when the then new owners of the station house decided to create a small railway museum by restoring the station building and signal box. IIRC, the mark 2 coach was purchased as a café-cum-exhibition space adjoining the Museum and is located on private property. For many years the museum was open to the public, by appointment, on certain days of the week....but sadly, as I don't drive and the nearest bus stop is a couple of miles away, I never had the chance to visit. Does anyone here know if it's still open?

mikeg

Established Member
Ah I never knew that.,. Having lived in the area for most of my life id never heard of this.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Understand that the former Otterington railway station building is now a Grade II listed building. Not aware of it currently being possible to tour same though, unless of course it's one of those places that's obliged / expected / required to open its doors to Joe Public a few times a year.

MadMac

There was a parcels van in the former Wolverhampton Low Level station for many years after it was no longer rail connected.

Trainlog

There was an old wagon on the bay platform at Maidstone for years, I don't know if it is still there.
Yes that wagon is still at the Maidstone West Bay platform on the Southbound side. I believe its a BR tube wagon. It was supposed to be a planter but has backfired as there is mainly weeds, building waste, and is marooned there as the track leading up to the wagon is removed.

Established Member
There was a box wagon in the TMD at Buxton after it closed until it was demolished.

Attachments

• 24548461983_0fd551d93b_b.jpg
    24548461983_0fd551d93b_b.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 128

pharrc20

Watching a couple of Don Coffey's excellent cab rides, there is a wagon which is abandoned on sidings just prior to Northwich Station. IIRC it came through the Channel Tunnel but was out of gauge and was left there, not sure how long ago though.

I've attached a Google Map view and circled it.

Historically, I can remember the white tanks that were abandoned by Wrawby Junction Box for many years until they eventually went.
Have you spotted the long abandoned Grampus ballast wagon in the trees on the other side of the line. You should be able to see it a lot easier this time of the year when heading from Northwich towards Altrincham.

Cheers Paul

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
There used to be a quantity of container-carrying wagons stored on the lines in Leith, Edinburgh. I saw them referred to as 'spines' at some point. It looks like they have recently been dragged into the area controlled by Forth Ports.

There is a crane vehicle of some sort just to the east of Polmadie depot that looks like it hasn't turned a wheel in a very long time. I have vague memories of other poorly looking track machines and on-track equipment in the same general area between Polmadie and the junction at Rutherglen.

There is a PCV stored at Millerhill as well.

AVK17

There is a crane vehicle of some sort just to the east of Polmadie depot that looks like it hasn't turned a wheel in a very long time.
That’s DRB78123, a non self propelled heavy duty crane built at Derby in 1975 and allocated to the Scottish Region in 1985. It has been stored in the same spot in the Polmadie down sidings since 1992.

Alanko

That’s DRB78123, a non self propelled heavy duty crane built at Derby in 1975 and allocated to the Scottish Region in 1985. It has been stored in the same spot in the Polmadie down sidings since 1992.

Thanks! My Googling got me nowhere.

According to a comment on Flickr it was shunted through the wheel lathe building at Polmadie and then it was discovered to that the axle weight was far too high to traverse over the wheel lathe equipment, so it has been stuck there since.

Carbean

Fascinating subject. In the mid 80s, at Ipswich station, in a bay platform, was a GUV or CCT obviously used as storage for the station. It was complete with buffers and wheels but seemed to have been there for ages. It was obviously moved when Ipswich station was revamped for electrification. I suppose it is not worth moving these wagons as probably the wheels are rusted to the track and brakes are stuck on. You will have to get a locomotive to go and collect it. If you do get it moving you will need to travel very slowly as wagon/carriage has not been serviced for years Must have been difficult getting rakes of wagons moving again if they had not moved for a year or so, the noise as rusted parts moving again would have been worth hearing!

Bikeman78

Established Member
There was an old wagon on the bay platform at Maidstone for years, I don't know if it is still there.
As soon as I found this thread, I thought of the Maidstone West Grampus wagon. Dad and I saw it there in 1995 whilst riding on 3CEP units. It was still there in August 2018, so at least 23 years. Some of the comments suggest it has been there for 40 years.

Alanko

As soon as I found this thread, I thought of the Maidstone West Grampus wagon. Dad and I saw it there in 1995 whilst riding on 3CEP units. It was still there in August 2018, so at least 23 years. Some of the comments suggest it has been there for 40 years.

They could grow vegetables in it!

E27007

So far the only thing growing in the old wagon is weeds unfortunately. Would look nice if they put flowers in it, but it hasn't seen much attention in well over a decade.
I think the baseplate has collapsed and the spoil has piled up underneath the wagon,

Towers

Established Member
Bit of a thread resurrection, but just to note that the car wagons at Micheldever have been scrapped on site with JCBs, as of this evening the remains consist of just the last three chassis.

Oxfordblues

Thank goodness for that. They'd been taken there some years ago to make room at Eastleigh, but had become a complete embarrassment. Let's hope DB Cargo next tackle the woebegone WIAs at Didcot, Hinksey and AD Junc.

Malaxa

An exciting development in the saga of the long dumped EWS MHA at Romford Engineers' sidings: very recently it has been dumped upside down next to the line, no doubt on top of the spoil or ballast it had retained for many years, perhaps resulting from the visit of a Network Rail crane.

Established Member
An exciting development in the saga of the long dumped EWS MHA at Romford Engineers' sidings: very recently it has been dumped upside down next to the line, no doubt on top of the spoil or ballast it had retained for many years, perhaps resulting from the visit of a Network Rail crane.
Haha, I'd totally forgotten about that. I was there the day of the incident and watched it getting shunted into the siding!

Status
Not open for further replies.