ABC Rail Guides

stevetay3

Hi. The 2019 edition of the ABC Rail Guide has been split into two volumes.
One covers main line systems, the second light rail and heritage railways. I received my heritage volume today, I was most disappointed, the info in the second volume had just been left out of the main volume. The only thing that had been expanded was the London Underground section with numbers added, the preservation section was just addresses and basic numbers, no details on all the preserved railways. Despite this it is a good little addition, but over priced at £12.95.
Total cost of both volumes is £35, last year this all priced at £22.50, a massive price hike for little extra. What do others make of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
They're probably running out of money like most companies. Everyone can get their information online nowadays.
I’m not sure that’s strictly true. Accurate comprehensive info like you get in these books and the Platform 5 books is hard to find on the internet

433N

Wordery currently selling the main line edition for 14.48 and the light rail edition for 8.88. Total 23.36.
On looking it up, it does say there is a code for 10% off your second book - I'm not sure if they'd let the 14.48 be the second book but should be able to get 88p off with code 10MAY19

Condor7

I have always used the ABC guides. I know they start going out of date almost immediately but are often in areas that don’t affect me. Those that do are easily noted in the margins and adjusted next time.
What I like is physically being able to pick up a book and see at a glance which locos/units I haven’t seen rather than a list of those I have seen which in my experience is all I can find with online apps.

Wivenswold

Established Member
What you do get with these annual guides is a potted history of rolling stock. They make a good piece of reference work.

Personally always preferred the Platform 5 ones, better laid out and more concise.

Andyh82

Established Member
One thing they never update are the TOC maps, they publish the same 2013 ones year after year even when the operations have changed.

The Northern and TPE one’s don’t reflect the changes in the North West, they never bothered to create a GTR Map, just publish the Thameslink and Southern one’s next to each other.

theblackwatch

Emeritus Moderator
Must admit I've not studied the ABC guide for a few years, but I remember looking at it a few years back and it had a good number of glaring errors in the rolling stock lists which I was able to spot within a few minutes. In my view, the Platform 5 books tend to be more accurate.

Andyh82

Established Member
Spliting it into two volumes last year was obviously unpopular, as the 2020 guide is out now, and it’s back as one single volume.

Not as many pages as the two from last year combined, but more pages than the 2018 version.

Spliting what was supposed to be a ‘one stop shop’ into two never quite made sense.

Andyh82

Established Member
Something has gone wrong with the liveries on many fleets as they are vastly wrong (I’m pretty sure most EMR trains aren’t in EMR livery, the 315s are certainly not in Crossrail livery)

Also many of the maps are still wrong, and many of the operator names are wrong.

He seems to insist on naming GWR, TPE & Hull Trains with a First prefix, and refers to TFL Rail as Elizabeth Line

hexagon789

Established Member
Something has gone wrong with the liveries on many fleets as they are vastly wrong (I’m pretty sure most EMR trains aren’t in EMR livery, the 315s are certainly not in Crossrail livery)

Also many of the maps are still wrong, and many of the operator names are wrong.

He seems to insist on naming GWR, TPE & Hull Trains with a First prefix, and refers to TFL Rail as Elizabeth Line
Many of the stock details are wrong in the ABC guides and never updated to correct them.