ABC Rail Guides

Discussion in 'Memorabilia, Media & Publications' started by stevetay3, 2 May 2019.

1. stevetay3

stevetay3 Member

Hi. The 2019 edition of the ABC Rail Guide has been split into two volumes.
    One covers main line systems, the second light rail and heritage railways. I received my heritage volume today, I was most disappointed, the info in the second volume had just been left out of the main volume. The only thing that had been expanded was the London Underground section with numbers added, the preservation section was just addresses and basic numbers, no details on all the preserved railways. Despite this it is a good little addition, but over priced at £12.95.
    Total cost of both volumes is £35, last year this all priced at £22.50, a massive price hike for little extra. What do others make of this.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. trainmania100

trainmania100 Established Member

They're probably running out of money like most companies. Everyone can get their information online nowadays.

4. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

I’m not sure that’s strictly true. Accurate comprehensive info like you get in these books and the Platform 5 books is hard to find on the internet

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    If you are not happy dont buy the book again. Not really sure what the point of these kind of books actually is.

The info is out of date as soon as it is printed!

6. stevetay3

stevetay3 Member

Most likely won’t.

7. stevetay3

stevetay3 Member

News papers are out of date as soon as there printed, and full of lies, should we stop buying them to

8. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Surely you know the answer if you are asking yourself the question?

9. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

I did, many years ago - fed up with reading about "how good" Mrs T was for the country.

10. stevetay3

stevetay3 Member

Now you can read how well Mrs M is finishing the job.

11. andyc20050

andyc20050 Member

Wordery currently selling the main line edition for 14.48 and the light rail edition for 8.88. Total 23.36.

12. stevetay3

stevetay3 Member

Thanks for that, had not herd of Wordery before, excellent value

13. 433N

433N Member

On looking it up, it does say there is a code for 10% off your second book - I'm not sure if they'd let the 14.48 be the second book but should be able to get 88p off with code 10MAY19

14. Condor7

Condor7 Member

I have always used the ABC guides. I know they start going out of date almost immediately but are often in areas that don’t affect me. Those that do are easily noted in the margins and adjusted next time.
    What I like is physically being able to pick up a book and see at a glance which locos/units I haven’t seen rather than a list of those I have seen which in my experience is all I can find with online apps.

15. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

What you do get with these annual guides is a potted history of rolling stock. They make a good piece of reference work.

Personally always preferred the Platform 5 ones, better laid out and more concise.

16. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

One thing they never update are the TOC maps, they publish the same 2013 ones year after year even when the operations have changed.

The Northern and TPE one’s don’t reflect the changes in the North West, they never bothered to create a GTR Map, just publish the Thameslink and Southern one’s next to each other.

17. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Must admit I've not studied the ABC guide for a few years, but I remember looking at it a few years back and it had a good number of glaring errors in the rolling stock lists which I was able to spot within a few minutes. In my view, the Platform 5 books tend to be more accurate.