• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

abc Traction Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot119

Established Member
Does anyone have this book. Is it similar to Rail Guide 2011? I can't really tell from the description I can find online.

Thanks Karl

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dubscottie

Have both books ..

The Traction book has everything by class, as opposed to train company.

Word or warning though, I have found that books by Colin J Marsden are full of errors, most just bad proof reading.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Word or warning though, I have found that books by Colin J Marsden are full of errors, most just bad proof reading.

I've found that as-well. Although to give credit where due, brilliant books none the less!

Established Member
The Traction Recognition book has more detail about the classes, but doesn't have fleet lists. Whereas Rail Guide 2011 has slightly less detail, but includes fleet lists.

headshot119

Established Member
So the big question is, if I own rail guide is it worth buying traction recognition?

HawkeyeTheNoo

Absolutely, I actually prefer "Recognition" because it gives some interesting detail as regards each class still running on the network as opposed to lists of numbers (which of course is great for spotters) I also own both (New Recognition and 2010 Guide)

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
I own both of these books and both are supeb. Traction recognition is for people who wish to learn about the trains as lots of information and pictures are given. It has a few errors (Class 150/0 isn't really 23m per driving car, Class 165/1 doesn't have a top speed of 75mph etc.) but is a superb book and one of my all time favourite rail books. Rail Guide has less information but gives a full list of class numbers which is useful and is a good book in it's own right, but Traction Recognition is slightly better in my opinion (I own both).

Status
Not open for further replies.