• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Railperf

Established Member
East Suffolk Line hopefully next week followed closely by Ipswich-Cambridge. Still ASDO issues surrounding Kennett & Elmswell and I think Manea is proving troublesome thus preventing Peterborough joining in just yet.
I'm hearing Colchester training has slipped back and only a handful of Ipswich drivers signed for 755s. So question marks over how soon Ipswich to Cambridge can become 755 operated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

smsm1

I'm hearing Colchester training has slipped back and only a handful of Ipswich drivers signed for 755s. So question marks over how soon Ipswich to Cambridge can become 755 operated.
I've heard 1 diagram from Monday on the Ipswich to Cambridge could be 755. A much bigger proportion of drivers have started the training, thus more will be completing it soon.

samuelmorris

Established Member
even with the delays, at this rate the 755s will complete introduction before the 745s carry a paying passenger. Which in turn will be at 100% introduction before the 720s enter service.
Re: All 745s before any 720s, very likely. Re: All 755s before any 745s, I'm not sure about that. I suspect there may still be some 3-car units that haven't entered service by the time the first 745s are up and running.

There are plenty of South Essex commuters who feel their season tickets pay for the rural lines and are even more disgruntled that they are riding around on clapped out slow draughty and uncomfortable 321's while Suffolk and Norfolk rural users enjoy shiny new trains.
Having travelled alongside them for many years and being one of them myself, there will be no pleasing them. People that send abusive tweets when their service is delayed by 4 minutes due to something entirely out of the TOC's control like a passenger passing out, will never be satisfied. Their opinions to some degree are irrelevant and especially so when we all know full well new stock is indeed on the way for them too. That they might have forgotten would simply be due to Abellio's not unjustified decision to remove the stickers about 'new trains' given how late they are being delivered.

That's a bit harsh, IMVHO. If I'm going into London, I have 2 choices, 357's from Upminster or 321's from one of the local stations.
I always choose the 357 option even though it entails a longer drive from home, because the 321's are sooo noisy & uncomfortable.
I've also returned home from Norwich on the 1930 to Liv. St, changing to a 360 at Colchester & I know which emu is "nicer!" at 100 mph.
I've had one ride in a Renatus 321 on the last evg. through train to Southminster, much quieter except in the motor car, but still the 'orrible seats. It's like sitting on the floor!
FWIW, the most comfortable seat of the day is in my trusty Skoda......
The 357 option is also less than half the price per-mile, more punctual and was once upon a time less crowded (now the reverse after a lot of Southend area people jumped ship), the problem is, there is no parking at Upminster beyond about 7am :P If there were, that's the way I would commute.
I wouldn't describe the 321s as uncomfortable when it isn't hot outside, but will certainly be glad when they are replaced, put it that way.

Anyone know what the issue is with the 755/3s? Are they out and about doing fault free running yet? Any best guesses as to when we will see first one in passenger service?

delticdave

Re: All 745s before any 720s, very likely. Re: All 755s before any 745s, I'm not sure about that. I suspect there may still be some 3-car units that haven't entered service by the time the first 745s are up and running.

Having travelled alongside them for many years and being one of them myself, there will be no pleasing them. People that send abusive tweets when their service is delayed by 4 minutes due to something entirely out of the TOC's control like a passenger passing out, will never be satisfied. Their opinions to some degree are irrelevant and especially so when we all know full well new stock is indeed on the way for them too. That they might have forgotten would simply be due to Abellio's not unjustified decision to remove the stickers about 'new trains' given how late they are being delivered.

The 357 option is also less than half the price per-mile, more punctual and was once upon a time less crowded (now the reverse after a lot of Southend area people jumped ship), the problem is, there is no parking at Upminster beyond about 7am :P If there were, that's the way I would commute.
I wouldn't describe the 321s as uncomfortable when it isn't hot outside, but will certainly be glad when they are replaced, put it that way.

I'm not travelling in the AM peak, so street parking near Cranham & catching the (free 'cos I'm old...) bus to Upminster works for me.
I do like the c2c weekend service to Stratford & Liv. St, very useful. Pity it's weekends only..........

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm not travelling in the AM peak, so street parking near Cranham & catching the (free 'cos I'm old...) bus to Upminster works for me.
I do like the c2c weekend service to Stratford & Liv. St, very useful. Pity it's weekends only..........
Ah, fair - discussing this further would be off-topic, but yes, if you used the line from Liverpool Street at peak time on weekdays you'd see why they don't squeeze any c2c services in there as well :)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
even with the delays, at this rate the 755s will complete introduction before the 745s carry a paying passenger. Which in turn will be at 100% introduction before the 720s enter service.
SWR are being bullish about there 701's coming in 2020 so that should read across to the 720's

samuelmorris

Established Member
SWR are being bullish about there 701's coming in 2020 so that should read across to the 720's
Some 701s will be coming in 2020, yes, but certainly not all of them. The same will likely apply to the 720s - the first of which will probably enter service in late Spring / early Summer, based on current progress (or lack thereof). The first 701s will probably enter service later in the summer. Both fleets should be fully introduced by late 2021 / early 2022.

smsm1

Anyone know what the issue is with the 755/3s? Are they out and about doing fault free running yet? Any best guesses as to when we will see first one in passenger service?
I've seen the 3 cars out in testing, including passing Cambridge station yesterday.

I've heard they are trying to get a 3 car approved for passenger service ASAP for the Ipswich-Cambridge line to minimise the short platform issues. Possibly in the next week or so, maybe even Monday if everything goes swimmingly well.

Icky Qualms

E
I've seen the 3 cars out in testing, including passing Cambridge station yesterday.

I've heard they are trying to get a 3 car approved for passenger service ASAP for the Ipswich-Cambridge line to minimise the short platform issues. Possibly in the next week or so, maybe even Monday if everything goes swimmingly well.
Well 4 cars is what's really needed on this route due to the high loadings between Cambridge and Newmarket / Bury and Stowmarket. Hope the door issues are resolved quickly.

eastdyke

Established Member
Well 4 cars is what's really needed on this route due to the high loadings between Cambridge and Newmarket / Bury and Stowmarket. Hope the door issues are resolved quickly.
And 4 cars is what will eventually be used when any further teething issues are resolved.
In the meantime 3 cars will do quite nicely vice a 156, a 153 or even no train at all :)

GarethC

Does anyone know if the 755 ran on the Felixstowe branch again today? The first 755 run was cancelled and now JourneyCheck saying services formed of "1 coach instead of 2".

Looking at yesterday's timings it seemed to hold up well but appears to take longer to swap ends as the sprinters could often do it in a couple of minutes, so late running couldn't be caught up as fast, though the delays could be due to infrastructure?

Gareth

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Mainly the latter two today!

17:20 Ipswich to Cambridge
17:41 Ipswich to Peterborough
17:58 Ipswich to Felixstowe

All 153s on another grim day on the Ipswich locals.

For those who were hoping to get the following train to Cambridge, rather than be on a scud, tough luck, that's cancelled.

Apparently a 153 has been withdrawn this week and is being returned off lease, which is ridiculous when there are so many short forms and the service out of Ipswich is becoming like sardines at peak time. Ought to be kept on to double up a service.

Looking at yesterday's timings it seemed to hold up well but appears to take longer to swap ends as the sprinters could often do it in a couple of minutes, so late running couldn't be caught up as fast, though the delays could be due to infrastructure?

Gareth

The Felixstowe branch won't be 4 cars when everything has settled down, it'll be a 3 car so a little quicker to swap than a 4 car.

dk1

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if the 755 ran on the Felixstowe branch again today? The first 755 run was cancelled and now JourneyCheck saying services formed of "1 coach instead of 2".

Gareth
Yes it ran all the rest of the day today. Just an issue on Crown Point causing the first trip to be binned.

TheEdge

Established Member
There are about 5-6 170s left am I right? If so, are they being stored and prepped for the journey to Wales or are they on diagrams?

Three I think, two 3 cars and a 2.

I saw at least one out and about today so they are still "in use" as it were.

smsm1

Yes it ran all the rest of the day today. Just an issue on Crown Point causing the first trip to be binned.
So was there an issue with Journey Check, as it's been suggesting a shorter train for most of the day?

smsm1

Was supposed to be just the 06:04. I've seen the Stadler on the branch twice today.
This is what Journey Check is showing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 20.53.15.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 20.53.15.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 49

gingerheid

Established Member
A Flirt left for Felixstowe just after 5, looking and sounding beautiful...

... amongst the chaos.

Carlgoss

No idea then. Maybe they swapped over for fuel.
One of those rumors we all love/hate mentioned that Stadler had offered to fit a second diesel tank to the 755 but it was thought too expensive. If it was true, I wonder if doing a whole diesel working day is going to be that easy. On another note Crown Point has been looking a lot less clogged with Bi-modes in recent days. Oh and for what it's worth a rubbish snap of Victoria sidings.

Attachments

• Sidings.jpg
    Sidings.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 124

samuelmorris

Established Member
One of those rumors we all love/hate mentioned that Stadler had offered to fit a second diesel tank to the 755 but it was thought too expensive. If it was true, I wonder if doing a whole diesel working day is going to be that easy. On another note Crown Point has been looking a lot less clogged with Bi-modes in recent days. Oh and for what it's worth a rubbish snap of Victoria sidings.
I thought it was to do with unit weight and thus axle loading?

ashkeba

Established Member
I thought it was to do with unit weight and thus axle loading?
Are track access charges based on axle loading? Could be the same concern by a different name. Maybe an extra tank can be fitted later if the calculators have got this wrong.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes stunning amount of work done at Victoria sidings with points in place, track laid and overhead masts raised on adjacent main line too.

Diesel tanks where reduced as weight issues would have prevented 755s running on Sprinter speeds.

Established Member
Are track access charges based on axle loading? Could be the same concern by a different name. Maybe an extra tank can be fitted later if the calculators have got this wrong.
The calculations were based on all diagrams being 50/50 diesel electric mileage by the bid team.