Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by swt class 450, 15 Jun 2017.

1. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

Does delay repay apply to overcrowding to the point you cannot board on Greater Anglia?

I recently claimed back for this on South Western Railway and they were even advising us to do this and had area on form just for these situations but Greater Anglia don't say anything about this.

GA tend to use different reasons for cancellations than other operators for stock issues. For example more trains needing repair at same time than usual is used by GWR and SWR but with Greater Anglia it's always a train fault even if it's due to lack of stock.

I've also seen reasons get changed later on. For example a train fault delay delay being attributed to a freight train that I guess it got stuck behind as it missed it's path.

2. Tug

Tug Member

Last edited: 9 Dec 2019
  3. eastdyke

eastdyke Established Member

The link to the BBC story that I posted upthread remains unchanged.
    [repeated] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-50710360
    The content has changed and now includes reference to a joint GA/NR statement:
    Myself, and no doubt others, will be saying 'and not before time'.

4. F Great Eastern

Jamie Burles has finally spoken and Greater Anglia have today issued a press release, not about the current problems, but hailing the further roll out of these great new trains.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/abo...art-passenger-service-ipswich-lowestoft-route
    What with this and the banner on the Greater Anglia website claiming that the operator is now running a good service, it's almost like Greater Anglia management are on another planet. The relentless PR drive continues, as if nothing is wrong.

5. Paulie558

Paulie558 Member

6. eastdyke

My observation is that the 9 routes included in the 'Service' dropdown are just the routes to/from Liverpool St., IC, suburban and outer suburban.
    Right now there shoud be a section directed at the 'Marsh Dwellers' of rural Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk along the lines of:
    'To enable you to complete your journey, please bring own {folded} punt' ;)

7. F Great Eastern

Rumour has it that the local press have had enough and are going to demand answers and have been speaking to sources to reveal things.

8. GarethC

GarethC Member

A new article has appeared on the East Anglian website with a list of 10 quite clear questions, will be interesting to see if GA answer them!
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-train-problems-1-6416164

9. Tug

Tug Member

10. swills

swills Established Member

Anglia say its a NR Signalling problem, however it is fact that it is ONLY the 755's that have the issue, ALL other types of traction have had no problems, so does it not point to the 755s not working, rather than the NR signals ? Also they say due to Major Signalling problems there are no trains on the Sudbury or Felixstowe ??

11. hwl

hwl Established Member

What they mean is that the NR have problems with their signalling systems because they aren't detecting Anglia 755 but omit the second bit!

12. hwl

hwl Established Member

On item 2. flange lube do they mean the track side lubricators or on train stick lube?
    If the later are they using the traditional UK made Morgan / Foster stuff or something from the continent?

13. F Great Eastern

Problems on Norwich/Ipswich to Lowestoft services now.

Apparently due to slippery rails caused by rail head adhesion problems - is this specific to the 755s again?

Might have to go to Saxmundham tomorrow afternoon, wish me luck that I'll get home before midnight and without an expensive taxi ride!

14. CHAPS2034

CHAPS2034 Member

The way GA are reacting to this is very reminiscent of the way Northern handled (and are still doing to some extent) the timetable meltdown last year and the current rubbish service. For the first few weeks after the May 2018 debacle, Northern's MD hid in his bunker and refused to speak to the press. The Manchester Evening News (no match for the EDP IMHO) publicised the fact that he had refused to talk to them and eventually he had to break cover and was also on local TV. Most of it was "not my fault gov", it's all NR's fault as promised infrastructure hadn't been delivered in time. Partly true, but only half of the picture, conveniently forgetting Northern's lack of trained staff, complex diagramming etc etc.

At the same time GTR were constantly at the top of the news agenda, followed by Northern. At least some senior GTR managers fell on their sword. TPE had a similarly rubbish service but their problems were masked because of the enormity of the Northern cock-up.

Northern and TPE's service is still rubbish, but their PR holds to the line that things are getting better as new trains are coming in and never answers the justifiable criticisms. Most savvy punters can see this puffery is just a smoke-screen and if they think they are preserving the brand with all this stuff, they are sorely mistaken.

Their relations with some of the local press are heavily strained as a result of this but then again many journos nowadays only have time to cut and paste press releases word for word instead of asking penetrating questions. So its good to see the EDP putting all these questions to GA and I hope they will keep pressing to get their questions answered.

15. WroxhamTroll

WroxhamTroll Member

My first post after months of just reading what has proven to be a very valuable resource as our local services have crumbled.

In recent weeks I had taken to sending the EDP various links and even YouTube videos of the 170's and now the 153's leaving the region.

Email back today says there is now a dedicated journalist on the story, which the set of questions seems to verify.

We so want the 755's working and we cut GA some slack if they just stopped the spin.

Anyway a belated hello and thanks to all the forum posters for giving me info where GA did not.

WT

16. Aureol Colin

Aureol Colin Member

the EADT questions seem quite sensible, although I think the flange lubricators may be a red herring

17. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

I have just been having a look at the Mid Norfolk Railway on Google Earth and noticed this in the sidings at Kimberley Park. A look in the opposite direction shows a couple of blokes in orange hi-vis, one of whom looks to be photographing the train parked up. Postcode, for anyone interested, is NR18 9HB.

Image Date: 07/2019.
    755_epmnr.jpg
    HTIOI,
    Dave

18. Abbo

Abbo Member

Like Wroxham Troll I have been reading this thread for some time with great interest since any information as to what's happening, let alone accurate information is non existant at Sheringham.

There is a new timetable due next week with a Norwich - Stansted service...........................no comment on that.

19. Abbo

Abbo Member

Perhaps they are using Red Herring Oil instead of the correct lubricant.

20. swills

The Lubricators have been removed from all the 755s as far as I know, in an attempt to cure the problem, and WHEN will the press STOP saying ...it's a Network Rail Signalling problem ? Staff are getting a little jarred off right now !

21. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

Probably after GA stop telling the press that! They still have a front page link to a page calling it a "major signalling problem".

22. 168001

168001 Member

They now have a new name, no longer “Basil’s” but now “Casper’s”.

23. Carlgoss

Carlgoss Member

24. Aureol Colin

Aureol Colin Member

Are there any 755s actually in service today?

25. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Yes quite a few.

26. Abbo

Abbo Member

The Bittern Line was by some distance the last route out Norwich to be FLIRTED. Why ? Were there concerns that were being addressed but not published into the public domain and then AGA were 'forced' to put them into service on the Bittern Line when it dawned on AGA that with the legacy units going away they would be left without any trains for this service. One can only be thankful that the Norwich Road crossing incident was only a ( very ) near miss.

27. dk1

dk1 Established Member

No conspiracy. Simply awaiting Sheringham stations rebuild & getting ASDO passed for traffic so as to stop at Worstead, Gunton & Roughton Road.

28. bahnause

bahnause Member

It is not very unusual to find problems when it comes to the interaction of the infrastructure und the rolling stock. Both might be up to spec, but still things can go wrong.

There was a derailment in Lucerne in 2017. Both the train and the infrastructure were up to spec, but the derailment still happened:
    https://www.sust.admin.ch/inhalte/BS/2017032201_SB_Luzern.pdf

29. swills

And as they can;t be guaranteed to work any track circuit, they are being dealt with under 3.5 working, that is, "Train out of Section" before another can follow, the signals have to be controlled signals and not "autos", the downside is this affects the 153's and 170 by deafult, and increases the workload of the Signaller too

30. eastdyke

Close, according to reports by the local media (EDP) citrus oil is being used to decontaminate the wheels.
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/greater-anglia-new-trains-problems-citrus-oil-1-6417275
    Any unusual noises would be the pips squeaking?