• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
They have 'scrubbers' which are like a block that should clean the surface of the wheel. Sadly they are not performing as well as intended.
Is that the intermittent "rubbing" noise you can hear when sat above the front or rear bogies? Can't hear it above the intermediate bogies and I think it was mentioned the scrubbers are only on the outermost bogies.

How come this problem hasn't been an issue in other countries than run FLIRTS?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Is that the intermittent "rubbing" noise you can hear when sat above the front or rear bogies? Can't hear it above the intermediate bogies and I think it was mentioned the scrubbers are only on the outermost bogies.

How come this problem hasn't been a en in other countries than run FLIRTS?
Not sure on either question I'm afraid.

AlexNL

Established Member
How come this problem hasn't been an issue in other countries than run FLIRTS?
That's because the infrastructure in each country is different. The track gauge may usually be 1435mm but that's where the similarities end.

In the Netherlands we've also seen detection issues on lines where new lighter rolling stock was about to be introduced. They fixed that by replacing the track circuits with a stronger version ("prikspanningspoorstroomlopen") and by imposing limitations when the trains have to run beyond their normal area (e.g. no solo running).

Failed Unit

Established Member
They can maybe pull the wool over the majority publics eyes, but the truth will always come out as GTR and the May 2018 timetable fiasco proved.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
That's because the infrastructure in each country is different. The track gauge may usually be 1435mm but that's where the similarities end.

Isn't that why there's facilities like Wildenrath? Did Stadler use such a faculty for testing before delivery?

trebor79

Established Member
might be because Europe doesn't have as many safety features on their trains as we do

But track circuiting is pretty standard isn't it? If it's a rail/wheel contact issue causing lack of track circuit detection you'd expect that to manifest itself elsewhere too.
The level crossing incident is odd. If the train "disappeared" before passing the crossing, but after the barriers had come down, surely the fail safe design is for the barriers to stay down?

AlexNL

Established Member
Isn't that why there's facilities like Wildenrath? Did Stadler use such a faculty for testing before delivery?
That is indeed why such facilities exist. I think the 755s have gone to Velim for their initial tests?

Either way, the situation that's now seen with the 755s clearly hasn't occured during testing. Perhaps it only manifests itself under very specific circumstances?

But track circuiting is pretty standard isn't it? If it's a rail/wheel contact issue causing lack of track circuit detection you'd expect that to manifest itself elsewhere too.
The principle is the same but the way it's implemented in countries can be slightly different. Different voltages / frequencies for example. That's why local testing happens next to test tracks.
The level crossing incident is odd. If the train "disappeared" before passing the crossing, but after the barriers had come down, surely the fail safe design is for the barriers to stay down?
If the level crossing is activated only by a track circuit becoming occupied, then it's not unexpected for the crossing to consider the track free when the TC no longer detects the train.

The fail-safe design in a track circuit is to show the block as occupied when a failure occurs, which would lower the barriers. In this case obviously something went wrong causing the TC to incorrectly think the block is free.

D6700

We need to get some hybrid 156/755 combo's, like happened when there was a similar issue with 158's when new!

(No, I don't need to be told it can't be done)

gingerheid

Established Member
Facebook just reminded me that a year ago today I was getting sarcastic about the free Google Cardboard VR googles they were handing out. Little did I realise how wrong I was. I don't need them to see a new train. I need them to see any train...

Pete_uk

Established Member
Just found out what almost happened. Shocking to say the least. If the train had hit the car the brown stuff would have hit the fan. Lucky car driver.

LAX54

Established Member
In the short term pending rectification, maybe treat them as *Z09 trains (cannot be guaranteed to activate TC's) and keep them away from non-treadled AHB's maybe ? least they could keep some resemblance of a service :)

GB

Established Member
In the short term pending rectification, maybe treat them as *Z09 trains (cannot be guaranteed to activate TC's) and keep them away from non-treadled AHB's maybe ? least they could keep some resemblance of a service :)

Nah, the Felixstowe branch has been running great with no passenger services :)

Tug

It sounds like we are very lucky on the Wherry (Gt Yamouth & Lowestoft) Line that the full upgrade with automatic crossings and remote signalling has not been finished. I cannot see it being switched on until the 755 issues are sorted.

Does anybody know what the solution to the apparently superficially similar 158 problem was?

Grumbler

Just found out what almost happened. Shocking to say the least. If the train had hit the car the brown stuff would have hit the fan. Lucky car driver.
There's an interesting and informative discussion on the "Near miss at level crossing" thread on uk.railway on Usenet.

Rick1984

One thing I noticed they make some interesting noises before pulling away. A bit like the squeal of wheels round curves.

dk1

Veteran Member
That sounds like a ready made excuse to me although the local forecast is not that bad.
Didn't sound good for rail head conditions when watching Look East yesterday. We will have to just wait and see.

chubs

Definitely unusual weather here, trees full of leaves last weekend now totally bare and the wind was pounding the house last night.

I know it happens from time to time but rare to be that severe.

GarethC

Can anyone confirm where the Class 755s are operating today (Sunday)? Are they doing Norwich-Sheringham[Cromer] and Norwich-Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft? Leaving Norwich-Cambridge and Ipswich-Lowestoft with the Class 156s+170?

Are they still cleaning the wheels manually after every trip?

Thanks,
Gareth