• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Definatley no through Sudbury to Colchester (or Town) except maybe the first on/last off the branch. East Suffolk through London services still on the cards. I must say that I am fully in favour of the yellow fronts. Does look an incredibly smart Flirt.

Domh245

Established Member
Looking back, it turns out my powers of prediction were rather good!

That said, I can't help but feel that the neatest looking one (which I didn't mock up at the time) would have been to have the yellow band finish in line with the bottom of the lights - I feel that it is slightly more sympathetic to the design of the train like this.

UvkRicU.png

dp21

Looking back, it turns out my powers of prediction were rather good!

That said, I can't help but feel that the neatest looking one (which I didn't mock up at the time) would have been to have the yellow band finish in line with the bottom of the lights - I feel that it is slightly more sympathetic to the design of the train like this.

UvkRicU.png

This is what the original yellow-fronted mock ups looked like so I was disappointed when I saw it was to the bottom of the panel.

I agree with you though, this looks much better.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/rail-uk/20160924/282144995825340

Curious, why the different UK companies did not just standardize intercity equipment around the Hitachi 800? Buying in bulk would yield savings.

Competition in the market yields bigger savings.

What advantages would a FLIRT have over a 800 DMU?

The *massive* one is that because of there being no engines under the floor level boarding can be provided, so passengers need not step up to the train and wheelchair users need not have someone assist them to board.

Domh245

Established Member

In addition to what @Bletchleyite has said, the real difference at the moment is time. Transpennine Express ordered a bunch of Hitachi 802s at the start of their franchise in early 2016, and they aren't going to be entering service in summer 2019. By contrast Greater Anglia will have ordered their FLIRTs in late 2016, and will be entering service from April/May 2019 - had they gone for 80xs, they would be waiting even longer (and running into issues with PRM-TSI compliance with the old sets come 2020)

longhorn

Is this train the same as the MTR FLIRT 200 but with a different nose and power unit?

MikePJ

Here's a half-baked idea: is it worth installing very limited OLE at certain terminus stations (Lowestoft and Felixstowe spring to mind) to supply "hotel power" to theses units while they sit between runs? Unlike the units they're replacing they have air conditioning, so it'll be good to have the unit on power whilst sitting for 20 minutes, and it'll save the noise and pollution from idling the engines (and fuel, of course). If the drivers were instructed to always "pan down" and pull away on diesel, the OLE installation could be very limited in both length and power capacity, which would reduce the cost of the transformers, switchgear and feed.

I'm assuming this is unlikely, but just wondered if anyone knew differently?

Z12XE

Hearing Marks Tey - Sudbury still triggers me immensely following my days browsing the comments section of RTM...

To be fair he wasn't far wrong

They offer their shed on rails to GA (for free exc diesel etc) but the situation wasn't workable as there was no sensible suggestion re stabling and servicing or contingency for if it failed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Unlike the units they're replacing they have air conditioning, so it'll be good to have the unit on power whilst sitting for 20 minutes, and it'll save the noise and pollution from idling the engines (and fuel, of course).

The twelve 170s have air conditioning. We still shut them down & the air-con stops

jopsuk

Veteran Member
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/rail-uk/20160924/282144995825340

Curious, why the different UK companies did not just standardize intercity equipment around the Hitachi 800? Buying in bulk would yield savings.

For the rural routes, an 800 is nothing close to what is needed. The 800 is an express intercity train, fairly heavy, with lengthy non-passenger sections on each driving car. It's capable of 140mph (if signalling/infrastructure is right).

The rural anglian routes need light weight regional trains, reasonably quick to accelerate but absolute top speed 100mph (and even that won't get much use). The FLIRT offers that- and has advantages mentioned such as the low floor section.

The "economy of scale" thing doesn't really work like that. Anglia would have needed it's own Hitachi depot (it'll get a Stadler depot. Where that's going to be is now an urgent issue) and Stadler will have been aware of what a competitive bid was. Furthermore, there's the issue of an offer that was able to deliver in time- it's likely that the team that bid for the Anglia franchise looked to see if a single manufacturer had both suitable products and the ability to deliver it all on a tight timeframe, but they've ended up with a split Bombardier/Stadler fleet due to factory capacity, suitability and pricing. Eg I'm sure Bombardier could have offered an Aventra variant (as they only needed a 100mph train) with an "intercity" or "airport" interior to run the Norwich and Airport services, but may not have been able to fit that into the production schedule. We don't know the exact details, but it's pretty clear that the only services the 800s would be remotely suitable (and it would be 801s- no need for diesel) for would be the Norwich express.

Flywaver

Perhaps these Bi-Mode units may well be suitable replacement on XC Turbostar routes. Ely-Stansted is a 70 mile round trip under the Wires and i am guessing Severn Tunnel Junction is a 50mile round trip under the wires? Would be quite a saving and a 80 metre Bi Mode will fit in Platform 2 bay at Stansted ok.

dp21

To the extent that all FLIRTs are the same, yes, they are a modular design.

It is however to UK loading gauge.

Yup this has been one of the most challenging parts of the design for the Stadler guys; repackaging the FLIRT technology into a much smaller envelope. We'll see how it performs.

In response to another message above, a Stadler depot is going in regardless of Brantham and it's called Norwich Crown Point. It's being rebuilt from the inside out whilst still operating on a day to day basis. 14 - 17 road should, however, be completely unrecognisable and actually up to modern standards.

LAX54

Established Member
Just because it is possible doesn't mean that it'll be allowed. It also doesn't preclude them from switching to Diesel from Electric whilst on the move I'd have thought, just the other way around.

Electric to Diesel on the move...fine, until the Driver overlooks the switch... then it's an ADD activation, followed by unit out of service.

dk1

Veteran Member
Electric to Diesel on the move...fine, until the Driver overlooks the switch... then it's an ADD activation, followed by unit out of service.

It may happen automatically without driver involvement. Who knows yet?

LAX54

Established Member
It may happen automatically without driver involvement. Who knows yet?

That would need possible resignalling, or lineside equipment linked into, and working with, the signalling system and route set, cannot see any of that happening for many years yet !

dk1

Veteran Member
That would need possible resignalling, or lineside equipment linked into, and working with, the signalling system and route set, cannot see any of that happening for many years yet !

Me neither mate but worth a thought. We are still getting told very little about the operational side of things with these new toys.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yup this has been one of the most challenging parts of the design for the Stadler guys; repackaging the FLIRT technology into a much smaller envelope. We'll see how it performs.

That's quite surprising, as the Swiss narrow gauge loading gauge is near identical in size to the UK one, and that's basically where the FLIRT (in its previous incarnation as the simpler GTW) was conceived.

LAX54

Established Member
Me neither mate but worth a thought. We are still getting told very little about the operational side of things with these new toys.

snap ! we are little mushrooms too ! although I think the SPZ testing will be Diss - Cow Green overnight (too much traffic (ohl) elsewhere)

James James

That's quite surprising, as the Swiss narrow gauge loading gauge is near identical in size to the UK one, and that's basically where the FLIRT (in its previous incarnation as the simpler GTW) was conceived.
The first GTW's were standard guage, and electric though. There's never been a narrow-gauge flirt - but more significantly, all the diesel and bi-mode trains they've built are full European standard-gauge. I imagine the difficulty is around fitting the diesel engines into British gauge (whereas there's probably less difficulty in moving electric parts around).

Even then, the Flirt has some significant differences to the GTW (e.g. electric packages being spread throughout the train), and there's never been a narrow-gauge Flirt. Stadler's narrow gauge trains are still being built with a GTW-like design (there's no traction module anymore, but the center carriage is a high-floor carriage that is essentially like an elongated traction module with seating on top).

This is also the first time they're using Jacob's bogies outside of full European standard gauge.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
snap ! we are little mushrooms too ! although I think the SPZ testing will be Diss - Cow Green overnight (too much traffic (ohl) elsewhere)

That's a shame. Won't be me involved if it's overnight Zzzz

Established Member
The first GTW's were standard guage, and electric though. There's never been a narrow-gauge flirt - but more significantly, all the diesel and bi-mode trains they've built are full European standard-gauge. I imagine the difficulty is around fitting the diesel engines into British gauge (whereas there's probably less difficulty in moving electric parts around).

Even then, the Flirt has some significant differences to the GTW (e.g. electric packages being spread throughout the train), and there's never been a narrow-gauge Flirt. Stadler's narrow gauge trains are still being built with a GTW-like design (there's no traction module anymore, but the center carriage is a high-floor carriage that is essentially like an elongated traction module with seating on top).

This is also the first time they're using Jacob's bogies outside of full European standard gauge.

Which suggests quite a bit of work then and if they hadn't of got the IC units as well would have probably made the Bi-modes more costly. Of course the bonus is they now have a ready made design for the UK, although of the franchises potentially now looking for new stock I[m not sure a Bi-mode will be of great benefit

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which suggests quite a bit of work then and if they hadn't of got the IC units as well would have probably made the Bi-modes more costly. Of course the bonus is they now have a ready made design for the UK, although of the franchises potentially now looking for new stock I[m not sure a Bi-mode will be of great benefit

It would be pretty much made for XC or EMT.