• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
You would hope so. All these things are being reported but I doubt PIS is a priority right now.

Some of the messages are very badly designed as well with serious spacing issues like someone has an OCD at making each line almost the same length as the other line rather than using the whole width of the screen which means stuff needlessly rolls into two or three pages.

with you.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
Not making excuses but rail replacement buses require a local bus or coach company to have someone available and willing. Bus and coach companies very rarely have spares on the depot.
Sounds like excuses. Why are UK TOCs not required to retain companies to deliver X replacement buses/coaches within Y hours? Or to do ticket acceptance on existing or modified routes where appropriate. I realise this is easier where the railways own buses too, like First Group RRBs in certain areas seem to come from their bus arm when possible.

Shunter_69

Sounds like excuses. Why are UK TOCs not required to retain companies to deliver X replacement buses/coaches within Y hours? Or to do ticket acceptance on existing or modified routes where appropriate. I realise this is easier where the railways own buses too, like First Group RRBs in certain areas seem to come from their bus arm when possible.

It’s a fact not an excuse.

Are you seriously suggesting you have a fleet of busses and drivers on standby at every station on the off chance something goes wrong?

dk1

Veteran Member

Are you seriously suggesting you have a fleet of busses and drivers on standby at every station on the off chance something goes wrong?
Just like the numpty tweeters who within minutes of disruption demand to know where their RR coach is or why it isn't enroute. Not sure whether we should all laugh or pity their intelligence.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The Coaches that often operate Ipswich rail replacements for the last year or so are by Angies from Lowestoft who sometimes have a modern coach like a King Long on such services, but more often than not it's a H, P or T reg vehicle which at best is 20 years old. Goodness knows how someone with limited mobility could cope.

Most days I see an Angie's coach parked up at Ipswich station for the last few months at various times of the day which gives me the impression that they are standby vehicles to be drafted in when a trai...sorry, I mean a fault with the signalling system occurs. This indicates to me it is indeed a booked standby coach.

The thing is, there's a bus company around the corner that is perfectly willing to supply rail replacement vehicles (Ipswich Buses) and this is the company that Greater Anglia always turn to if they need extra standby coaches because they need to cover more than the one train and the Angie's coach has already been used on something else or there is major events.

Probably getting someone to supply a 20-25 year old plus coach that probably only does school runs and little else is a far cheaper option, even if passengers deserve something better. When there has been both Angie's and Ipswich buses vehicles parked up before at the front of the station it's been pretty plain to see that they only use the Ipswich ones if Angie's can't cope with demand or they need to sub for another train cancelled due to a 'signalling fault'

Nobody expects a rail replacement coach to be a luxury, however they do expect something that was built this century, to be a sufficient temperature. If Greater Anglia have to stump up a few quid more to ensure that, then that is what they should do. It's totally wrong to keep putting their excellent front line staff in awkward positions with lots of unhappy passengers time and time again. Honestly some of them looked totally embarrassed this morning.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Has anybody actually taken GA to task over this? I'm no fan of local press banging on about public transport but I do wonder if stories got out that the TOC have been lying for weeks about the actual cause of delay to cover their own backs, maybe that might prompt a change of opinion at management, given how image-conscious they are.

I've just checked on RTT and it seems the reason was later changed again?

The 08:24 Ipswich to Cambridge is now showing as being cancelled due to an issue with the train crew (Code TG)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F27693/2019-12-30/detailed

The 09:47 Cambridge to Ipswich is showing the same (Code TG)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F11273/2019-12-30/detailed

Not sure why the first one is showing as only being cancelled between Ipswich and Cambridge when it didn't run at all according to what I saw this morning and the timings on RTT? Pretty weird.

Last edited:

gingerheid

Established Member
Greater Anglia said:
Disruption has been reported to services between Cambridge and Ipswich.

The 06:42 will have 2 instead of 4 coaches due to earlier signalling problems.
The 07:47 will have 2 instead of 4 coaches due to earlier signalling problems.

This is getting a bit boring and silly now. They'll be blaming Maggie Thatcher next.

ashkeba

Established Member

Are you seriously saying that you misread having retainer contracts with bus companies as having a fleet sat at every station?

pompeyfan

Established Member
No, they’re suggesting TOCs only use bus companies that have hot spares on depot. I can see the logic behind it but it’s unrealistic and then would lead to further questions, how ‘hot’ is this spare, half hour away? One hour away? Does each TOC pay for a permanent bus spare in the budget in the same way there’s usually a few cover guards and drivers.

Tug

Are you seriously saying that you misread having retainer contracts with bus companies as having a fleet sat at every station?

I am not sure what a retainer would achieve. A bus company has the number of vehicles it needs for its operations. If you hit a quite period (like the Christmas holidays / evenings they will have lots of spare buses (but quite possibly not drivers available at zero notice) whilst if you need a coach at school / work run times you will be very lucky. A retainer does not change that position.

If you want coaches with drivers available immediately ( say 10 coaches for a main line problem) it is essentially a zero mileage hire for which I would need to have buses and 20hr a day immediately available drivers for which I would charge you accordingly. It is nor practically possible.

Shunter_69

It’s the same thing. You are still paying to have them sitting around doing nothing until something goes wrong. The cost would be enormous and would have to be covered by the tax payer or in fares.

ashkeba

Established Member
If you want coaches with drivers available immediately
I didnot say immediately. I stop this because it is off topic here.

How are the 755s today? Is Peterborough-Ely-Ipswich back?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The 08:24 Ipswich to Cambridge is now showing as being cancelled due to an issue with the train crew (Code TG)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F27693/2019-12-30/detailed

The 09:47 Cambridge to Ipswich is showing the same (Code TG)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F11273/2019-12-30/detailed

Another batch of trains cancelled today out of Ipswich due to unspecified issues with train crew with delay attribution code TG.

Normally I'd guess that this is probably a shortage of crews, but yesterday the 08.24 was cancelled originally due to train fault and the return 09:47 working cancelled due to signalling issues, later changed to due to a train crew issue.

I wonder if we will see this more over the coming days and less signalling faults?

Last edited:

Jim Jehosofat

Wasn't this the case same years ago when a lot of TOCs had an agreement with one company to supply buses and taxis? I believe the name of the company was Fraser Eagle.

gingerheid

Established Member
Did Fraser Eagle actually have any buses? Weren't they just a (failed) management company?

it seems they are all cancelled today

As per yesterday and a number of other days, the final service to and from Peterborough is due to run. Although they need to cancel the 20:20 Ipswich - Cambridge and 21:47 return to make that happen.

LAX54

Established Member
As per yesterday and a number of other days, the final service to and from Peterborough is due to run. Although they need to cancel the 20:20 Ipswich - Cambridge and 21:47 return to make that happen.

Which itself tells a story, far from the signalling problems, which maybe GA are now thinking they have milked as much as they can, points towards not enough units that work, and lack of trained crews.

Railperf

Established Member
Which itself tells a story, far from the signalling problems, which maybe GA are now thinking they have milked as much as they can, points towards not enough units that work, and lack of trained crews.
An Ipswich driver tells me only 3 trained for 755s so far...

F Great Eastern

Established Member
An Ipswich driver tells me only 3 trained for 755s so far...

Would explain the recent trend towards giving train crew as reason for cancellations instead of signalling faults. Been told the delay attribution code they are using in reporting is related to drivers.

So basically 'an issue with the train crew' is the new 'fault with the signalling system' New year. New tack.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
Would explain the recent trend towards giving train crew as reason for cancellations instead of signalling faults. Been told the delay attribution code they are using in reporting is related to drivers.

So basically an issue with the train crew is the new fault with the signalling system. New year. New tack.

We have heard that used !

WroxhamTroll

Seems the focus on getting the rural services back to normal may have slipped. Bittern line trains still routinely up to 30 mins late or cancelled.

There was rumour that some work was carried out in good faith on the level crossings even if the root cause is still debatable. Does anyone know if there is still work ongoing to improve or is the service permanently degraded?

WT

PG

Established Member
Run on Windows 2000 we've been told hence the problems.
Can envisage the conversation during the build process going something like this... So these shiny new trains we're building for you - you want a legacy PIS fitted which might be vulnerable to attack ??

I thought the NHS were bad still using Windows XP...