• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

hooverboy

On Moderation
According to Marsdens Rolling Stock Review (2018 edition) the 755/3's are rated @960 kW on diesel, v a 3-car 170 rated at 945 kW. Not so sure re. the respective power to weight ratios but the the Voith T211r transmissions might be less efficient than the Stadler gen-set drives.
probably more to do with 170's being hydraulic transmission. Not so efficient going from a standing start.
a lot of juice lost through torque convertors until the gear switches info the last stage of final drive.

same with sprinters t.b.h..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

probably more to do with 170's being hydraulic transmission. Not so efficient going from a standing start.
a lot of juice lost through torque convertors until the gear switches info the last stage of final drive.

same with sprinters t.b.h..

The differences in transmission systems will be comparatively small in terms of performance. Both the Stadler 3 car and the Turbostar have roughly the same power to weight ratio (former on diesel) so performance should be much the same. In contrast, the 4 car Stadler has twice the power on diesel and can therefore accelerate faster. On electric power they have some 2.5MW of power. That will be useful at the higher speeds, but for initial acceleration the tractive effort will usually be limited by the available adhesion for the four motored axles.

Rick1984

Second go on one. In an airline seat this time and generally speaking it's excellent. However the window seat does suffer with the side curving in combined with the cantilever. The aisle seat is great though and no problems with leg room. Not the best but far better than a 153 or GWR 158
I think the power changeover was Ely bit you couldn't tell when running

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Second go on one. In an airline seat this time and generally speaking it's excellent. However the window seat does suffer with the side curving in combined with the cantilever. The aisle seat is great though and no problems with leg room. Not the best but far better than a 153 or GWR 158
I think the power changeover was Ely bit you couldn't tell when running

Personally I find the only seats that are acceptable to me as the table seats and the ones with additional leg-room, some of the airline seats in the middle of carriages are dreadful (some worse than others) for a tall person because of the high density seating layout that is used. My legs feel claustrophobic and trapped in the niche, left leg hard against the left of the niche, right leg hard against the niche, front of both knees hard against niche.

Becomes clear why they used the seat they did, the original seats they planned would be amputee seats (like a football terrace converted to seating) with same layout without the niche.

Rick1984

Think the PA still having some teething. Just announced on Cambridge to Norwich that the next stop is Audley end, swiftly corrected by driver/guard

dk1

Veteran Member
Think the PA still having some teething. Just announced on Cambridge to Norwich that the next stop is Audley end, swiftly corrected by driver/guard
The PIS is rubbish. Very difficult to correct as ends up a station behind. I & many others reset it to destination only & manually announce intermediates.

Rick1984

Personally I find the only seats that are acceptable to me as the table seats and the ones with additional leg-room, some of the airline seats in the middle of carriages are dreadful (some worse than others) for a tall person because of the high density seating layout that is used. My legs feel claustrophobic and trapped in the niche, left leg hard against the left of the niche, right leg hard against the niche, front of both knees hard against niche.

Becomes clear why they used the seat they did, the original seats they planned would be amputee seats (like a football terrace converted to seating) with same layout without the niche.

I really don't find this. While if I sit in certain way bits do get in the way I've found the journey from Cambridge fine so far and I've moved back to window seat. Bit of intrusion but wouldn't be uncomfortable somone else sat beside me.Each to their own I guess. And I am somone that values their legroom

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I really don't find this. While if I sit in certain way bits do get in the way I've found the journey from Cambridge fine so far and I've moved back to window seat. Bit of intrusion but wouldn't be uncomfortable somone else sat beside me.Each to their own I guess. And I am somone that values their legroom

How tall are you?

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm 6'0 & have found all seats very accommodating indeed. Then again I have no issues with both 700 & 800 series units either.

chubs

The PIS is rubbish. Very difficult to correct as ends up a station behind. I & many others reset it to destination only & manually announce intermediates.

Is this going to be fixed? Would seem stupid if not!

170TurboFan

It also has issues on the Sheringham line messing up at Cromer announcing next stop West Runton before we arrive at Cromer and announcing Roughton Road and Gunton early, normally resets itself by West Runton or Gunton to run as it should.

Tug

I'm 6'0 & have found all seats very accommodating indeed. Then again I have no issues with both 700 & 800 series units either.

I am 6ft 3in & I find the terrible which isn't helped by the dents in the back of the seat in front not being useless. It isn't just about how tall you are but also about individual bone length & how much padding you carry around.

I look for disabled seats with more leg room because in terms of using the train I am.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
8.24 Ipswich to Cambridge cancelled this morning about 15 minutes before departure due to a fault on the new train. Screens useless making no note of bus and only showed as cancelled almost five minutes after everything else. Than as usual the tack was changed to signalling fault for this train and return working.

Was replaced by a 20 year old coach that the driver struggled to unfreeze the windscreen of that was freezing cold having to drive with side window open to see his mirrors better.

Good of Greeter Anglia to really splash out on the quality of rail replacement vehicles. Even staff looked embarrassed by the whole affair with the staff repeating it was train fault and advising to claim delay repay for the bus no matter what anyone told them.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Not making excuses but rail replacement buses require a local bus or coach company to have someone available and willing. Bus and coach companies very rarely have spares on the depot.

Railperf

Established Member
755 330 noted on test through Bishops Stortford going north..in diesel mode. Mileage accumulation / driver training?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
8.24 Ipswich to Cambridge cancelled this morning about 15 minutes before departure due to a fault on the new train. Screens useless making no note of bus and only showed as cancelled almost five minutes after everything else. Than as usual the tack was changed to signalling fault for this train and return working.

Was replaced by a 20 year old coach that the driver struggled to unfreeze the windscreen of that was freezing cold having to drive with side window open to see his mirrors better.

Good of Greeter Anglia to really splash out on the quality of rail replacement vehicles. Even staff looked embarrassed by the whole affair with the staff repeating it was train fault and advising to claim delay repay for the bus no matter what anyone told them.

The whiteboard from the other thread is gone so no doubt they were told to take it down.hopefully nobody got in trouble.
At least you got a replacement bus... try living at one of the local stations between Huddersfield and Leeds, if the train is cancelled (which it often is) you're on your own.

samuelmorris

Established Member

The whiteboard from the other thread is gone so no doubt they were told to take it down.hopefully nobody got in trouble.
Has anybody actually taken GA to task over this? I'm no fan of local press banging on about public transport but I do wonder if stories got out that the TOC have been lying for weeks about the actual cause of delay to cover their own backs, maybe that might prompt a change of opinion at management, given how image-conscious they are.

Railperf

Established Member
They are astonishing on electric. Opening them up once you pass the 85 board leaving Ipswich you can hit 100 as you pass over Europa Junction.
A 755/4 driven gently out of Ipswich P4 is doi g 96mph over Europa Junction.
The issue i am finding is drivers having enough confidence in the brakes to achieve 100mph and then a measly 5%g braking into Needham Mkt from Stowmarket, even when running late. Should easily be achievable in under 3.5 min.

delticdave

The differences in transmission systems will be comparatively small in terms of performance. Both the Stadler 3 car and the Turbostar have roughly the same power to weight ratio (former on diesel) so performance should be much the same. In contrast, the 4 car Stadler has twice the power on diesel and can therefore accelerate faster. On electric power they have some 2.5MW of power. That will be useful at the higher speeds, but for initial acceleration the tractive effort will usually be limited by the available adhesion for the four motored axles.

Interesting........ If the 170's had the same 6-speed ZF Ecomat tranny, as used in the 172's I might agree with you but the 2-speed Voiths waste much fuel & time churning the torque-convert in low range, especially when compared with the 755/3's pair of gen-sets. As for the 755/4's, they probably have the highest power-to-weight ratio of any UK DMU, so yes, they are quite nippy..........

trebor79

Established Member
The issue i am finding is drivers having enough confidence in the brakes to achieve 100mph and then a measly 5%g braking into Needham Mkt from Stowmarket, even when running late. Should easily be achievable in under 3.5 min.
Nothing wrong with the brakes. A few weeks ago I and a few others awaiting our train at Attleborough assumed the 755 that hit the end of the platform at at least 50mph was an empty stock movement just ahead of our train.
It did stop within the platform, a little way further down than usual. Astonishing, and it was on a wet rail.

Railperf

Established Member
Just had my first 98mph maximum Stowmarket to Needham Market...but an excruciatingly long and slow crawl along the platform. 3min 45 sec!

Railperf

Established Member
Nothing wrong with the brakes. A few weeks ago I and a few others awaiting our train at Attleborough assumed the 755 that hit the end of the platform at at least 50mph was an empty stock movement just ahead of our train.
It did stop within the platform, a little way further down than usual. Astonishing, and it was on a wet rail.
I did not claim there was any issue with the brakes..more an observation that drivers are still to gain confidence in using these units braking abilities.

Railperf

Established Member
Interesting........ If the 170's had the same 6-speed ZF Ecomat tranny, as used in the 172's I might agree with you but the 2-speed Voiths waste much fuel & time churning the torque-convert in low range, especially when compared with the 755/3's pair of gen-sets. As for the 755/4's, they probably have the highest power-to-weight ratio of any UK DMU, so yes, they are quite nippy..........
Yes the 755/4s do 0 to 60 in 46 to 50 seconds from most stations and 100 mph in under 2.5 minutes in diesel mode.

Now you can average 63mph Kennet to Bury St Edmunds without exceeding 75mph!