• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Railperf

Established Member
Oh my goodness me....755/3 on electric out of Stowmarket 0 to 60mph in 27 seconds and 100mph in under 70 seconds. That is mad!!!!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Oh my goodness me....755/3 on electric out of Stowmarket 0 to 60mph in 27 seconds and 100mph in under 70 seconds. That is mad!!!!!!!
That is faster than the accessible loo door takes to close!!

F Great Eastern

Established Member
If some people can stand in the power car corridor, it is a coach! :D
To be serious, I've seen 5 and 11 coaches listed on those new boards which are clearly wrong.

There was what I thought was a troll on here a few weeks back who kept calling out the train lengths including non passenger carrying vehicles as a carriage, but actually much of what looked like obvious trolling has actually happened in recent GA statements and now we're seeing the coach thing too!

Probably just a co-incidence and another bug in those screens though in all honesty!

trebor79

Established Member
Oh my goodness me....755/3 on electric out of Stowmarket 0 to 60mph in 27 seconds
Crikey! Sometimes my car takes longer to get to 60! Watch at 755/4 set off like a rocket out of Ely yesterday morning on electric. Must have been doing 40mph by the time it reached the sound the end of the platform.

Railperf

Established Member
There was what I thought was a troll on here a few weeks back who kept calling out the train lengths including non passenger carrying vehicles as a carriage, but actually much of what looked like obvious trolling has actually happened in recent GA statements and now we're seeing the coach thing too!

Probably just a co-incidence and another bug in those screens though in all honesty!
The screens at Ely were stating 4 coaches for a 3-car 755. And 5 coaches for a 4-car.

dk1

Veteran Member
Crikey! Sometimes my car takes longer to get to 60! Watch at 755/4 set off like a rocket out of Ely yesterday morning on electric. Must have been doing 40mph by the time it reached the sound the end of the platform.
Good job we can set the speed selector else we'd be doing 75mph before the end of the 50. Terrific pieces of kit.

Railperf

Established Member
Good job we can set the speed selector else we'd be doing 75mph before the end of the 50. Terrific pieces of kit.
In contrast..the 3-car on diesel does feel pedestrian immediately after experiencing the acceleration on electric - in spite of being quicker than the legacy diesels to 75mph.

Railperf

Established Member
The speed selector is great! Seems to prevent any kind of speed limit overshoot even on hard acceleration. - much as i like the the odd 2 or 3mph over the limit!
It also keeps the trains running more tightly to the line apeed limit - and that contributes to time saving en route.
What is the device you use that alerts you when the rear of the train is clear of low speed restrictions?You hear a double beep when the driver arms it..and then a second audible warning to confirm the rear of the train is clear.

dk1

Veteran Member
The speed selector is great! Seems to prevent any kind of speed limit overshoot even on hard acceleration. - much as i like the the odd 2 or 3mph over the limit!
It also keeps the trains running more tightly to the line apeed limit - and that contributes to time saving en route.
What is the device you use that alerts you when the rear of the train is clear of low speed restrictions?You hear a double beep when the driver arms it..and then a second audible warning to confirm the rear of the train is clear.
It's just a double tap on the DSD pedal. They should swap that sound with the AWS warning which is far to soft & quiet.

axlecounter

Do you have the kind of speed selector where you can pre-select a speed and then confirm it by tapping on the thing or the "straight-away" version?

LAX54

Established Member
The screens at Ely were stating 4 coaches for a 3-car 755. And 5 coaches for a 4-car.

Is that because it i(info) s taken on GEMINI or TRUST, which will give you 4 numbers for a 3 car, and 5 for a 4 ?

samuelmorris

Established Member
A train is now officially faster 0-60 than an original VW Beetle or a Tata Nano with the foot to the floor :D

Granted those aren't particularly impressive vehicles but even so, this is over a hundred tons of train with metal wheels on metal track.

ashkeba

Established Member
Someone in GA PR is probably plotting some speed record runs right now...

Railperf

Established Member
I note that after braking...there is a new sound coming from.under the leading bogie for several seconds. Is that some sort of wheel scrubber being activated and then rettacted?

physics34

Established Member
The door chimes are indeed ridiculously loud, I usually let someone else open the doors and stand well away because I find it painful to stand underneath the sounder waiting for the door to open. I'm sure in an industrial environment you'd have to wear hearing protection.
Not good if u want a nice relaxing journey after a long day at work. There is obviously a minimum volume but i guess not a maximum. Time to get out the decibel reader.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The only thing wrong with the toilets is that it's almost impossible to wash your hands properly as the sensor that turn the tap on is positioned so that it only activates if your hands aren't under the actual spout. It switches off immediately that you move your hands. After about 6 attempts to rinse the soap off your hands there's a loud clunk from behind the mirror and the tap won't activate after that. Just needs a few seconds delay before it turns the tap off and all would be well.

I've not been on a 755 but the taps and sinks sound similar to the 800s. I've been trying to work out why so much water ends up on the floor. The sinks are quite narrow. Also there quite a big vertical gap between tap and sink and the tap is close to the outer edge of the sink. Why aren't the taps set further back and lower down?

Railperf

Established Member
Someone in GA PR is probably plotting some speed record runs right now...
Well i was hoping for a fast time from Stowmarket to Ipswich but 9min35sec for a 755/3 into P2 was slower than the best Class 90 time of 9:04 and a Class 86 timing of 8:54!!

Railperf

Established Member
Nope. Who said that?
I'm sure a Virgin WC driver told me that sometime ago...when they were being used on the west coast.
Nice to see the issues with DVTs having over-reading speedos seems to have been fixed for some time now.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm sure a Virgin WC driver told me that sometime ago...when they were being used on the west coast.
Nice to see the issues with DVTs having over-reading speedos seems to have been fixed for some time now.
I'd never heard of such a problem. DBSOs used to back in the early 1990s as only had a speedometer that went upto 100mph. They never had ASL though.

trebor79

Established Member
I note that after braking...there is a new sound coming from.under the leading bogie for several seconds. Is that some sort of wheel scrubber being activated and then rettacted?
A sort of intermittent rubbing/scuffing noise? That's been there since day 1.

trebor79

Established Member
I've not been on a 755 but the taps and sinks sound similar to the 800s. I've been trying to work out why so much water ends up on the floor. The sinks are quite narrow. Also there quite a big vertical gap between tap and sink and the tap is close to the outer edge of the sink. Why aren't the taps set further back and lower down?
No, different to an 800. On an 800 you can wash your hands but the floor gets wet. On a 755 it's difficult to wash your hands but the water doesn't go on the floor (much).

delticdave

I'd never heard of such a problem. DBSOs used to back in the early 1990s as only had a speedometer that went up to 100 mph. They never had ASL though.

A long-time retired (Stratford) driver friend finished on the 86's + DBSO sets, he preferred to drive the train from the loco, but the DBSO was warmer (lack of draughts)........ He wasn't impressed with the 4-notch EMU controller at all.

Railperf

Established Member
No, different to an 800. On an 800 you can wash your hands but the floor gets wet. On a 755 it's difficult to wash your hands but the water doesn't go on the floor (much).
The non-prm loo is way too small. You can barely move in there. There is hardly room to shut the door behind you.