• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

eastdyke

Established Member
It is around 06.20, disappointingly 3 diagrams on the 'rural' routes have already (not) kicked off with cancellations 'due to a train fault'. I suspect 2 of those diagrams may be 755s. :frown:
This is in addition to signalling issues (assumed of the traditional variety) affecting speeds on the Breckland line and is currently leading to GA services from Norwich being turned at Ely.
Hope that full services can be restored soonest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There is a news item on the GA website trumpeting full Ipswich - Peterborough service restored. So inevitably one of those cancellations is the first train of the day, the 05.40 Colchester to Peterborough.

The 3 car 755 allocated to this service on Saturday worked OK to Peterborough and back to Ipswich, but didn’t like running in electric mode on the next working to Peterborough so ran diesel throughout. 5 minutes late start but had made that up by Ely.

Last edited:

eastdyke

Established Member
There is a news item on the GA website trumpeting full Ipswich - Peterborough service restored. So inevitably one of those cancellations is the first train of the day, the 05.40 Colchester to Peterborough.
The Law of Sod!
GA are working hard though, the return working is due to start back from Ely so I guess that a unit has been sent from Norwich (and may be the reason for initial cancellation of 1 of the diagrams I referred to up-thread).

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Latest Greater Anglia PR about the Peterborough line

The two-hourly service was severely disrupted by signalling issues on Greater Anglia’s regional branch lines from early December onwards, when Network Rail asked Greater Anglia to run fewer trains while a signalling problem was investigated.

The investigation looked into the impact of extreme autumn conditions on the track, the signalling equipment itself and the interaction between trains and the track.

As a result of the signalling issues, Greater Anglia’s programme of introducing new trains, including training drivers and testing new trains, was set back which led to further cancellations on the line.

superjohn

The 0727 Lowestoft to Ipswich is cancelled throughout again. Only a 1hr39mn wait for the next one at all the stations along the line!

eastdyke

Established Member
The Law of Sod!
GA are working hard though, the return working is due to start back from Ely so I guess that a unit has been sent from Norwich (and may be the reason for initial cancellation of 1 of the diagrams I referred to up-thread).
The service never did start back from Ely :(
According to RTT, the second diagram from Ipswich seems to be en-route. 2E72 was RT through March at 09.18.
Hoping for good luck for the remains of the day.

superjohn

I have to agree with an earlier post regarding the manual announcements on these units. They seem clipped at the beginning and end of each sentence. It sounds very much as though the system is only transmitting when it detects speech, in the same manner as mobile phones.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This is a 745 issue not 755, but it's currently a 5 hour cycle - running the 2tph between Liverpool St and Norwich requires all 10 units - there are no spares, the redundancy is provided via one of the 745/1 Stansted units and the 720 fleet deputising as necessary.
An 11th set is required in the peaks and a 12th for the 90 minute extras. Of course, for some time two turns have been covered by 321s, one planned and one ad hoc. The latter involves some tight step ups at Norwich. Once all the hauled sets have gone, there will still need to be two pairs of 321s until the timetable is rewritten.

Grumbler

An 11th set is required in the peaks and a 12th for the 90 minute extras. Of course, for some time two turns have been covered by 321s, one planned and one ad hoc. The latter involves some tight step ups at Norwich. Once all the hauled sets have gone, there will still need to be two pairs of 321s until the timetable is rewritten.
The NINs are advertised as standard class only with no refreshment facilties, so ideal for a pair of 755s or an Aventra.

Icky Qualms

The service never did start back from Ely :(
According to RTT, the second diagram from Ipswich seems to be en-route. 2E72 was RT through March at 09.18.
Hoping for good luck for the remains of the day.

The 11:50 Peterborough to Ipswich is a 156

MikePJ

The ROG 37 is at Cambridge again today, and about to take 2 x 755/4s away, presumably to Norwich Crown Point. I couldn't get the unit numbers, but my assumption is that these are two units that are not yet commissioned and have been stored at Cambridge in the mean time.

dk1

Veteran Member
The ROG 37 is at Cambridge again today, and about to take 2 x 755/4s away, presumably to Norwich Crown Point. I couldn't get the unit numbers, but my assumption is that these are two units that are not yet commissioned and have been stored at Cambridge in the mean time.
That move was supposed to take place Saturday but there was a cock up in planning between the two.

superjohn

37800+755419+755406
Still there at 1300
419 looking weathered, 406 spotless

Icky Qualms

Im sure 419 has been previously in service but i stand to be corrected
Last time i passed coldhams lane depot 406 and 408 were stored there but it was a few weeks ago

dk1

Veteran Member
Im sure 419 has been previously in service but i stand to be corrected
Last time i passed coldhams lane depot 406 and 408 were stored there but it was a few weeks ago
419 has been I service for a good while. Jinxed unit always having problems.

eastdyke

Established Member
Sudbury 755 service should be starting tomorrow
Cracking on :cake:
So does that only leave Manningtree-Harwich International (as part of the small number of the rural services from/to Lowestoft and Cambridge) to get passenger route clearance and introduction?
Cheers!

Tim Regester

Sudbury 755 service should be starting tomorrow
I will check this and provide photographic evidence, I live less than half a mile from Sudbury station and work from home so should be an easy jaunt, will have to wait to try service as have meetings tmw.

LAX54

Established Member
That move was supposed to take place Saturday but there was a cock up in planning between the two.

Loco called out on Saturday, as 0Q51, but no schedule, Driver did ask for one when we said it can't go, but it was never done, afeter qbout 4 hrs we knocked the HC out of the berth, assuming it was not going !

LAX54

Established Member
So does that only leave Manningtree-Harwich International (as part of the small number of the rural services from/to Lowestoft and Cambridge) to get passenger route clearance and introduction?
Cheers!
Driver knowledge ? the 755s have been up and down the line most days recently

dk1

Veteran Member
Loco called out on Saturday, as 0Q51, but no schedule, Driver did ask for one when we said it can't go, but it was never done, afeter qbout 4 hrs we knocked the HC out of the berth, assuming it was not going !
Yeah GA driver booked much later than the ROG and by time it was finally ready to go they refused.

Shunter_69

Cheers!

not sure what’s happening with the Ipswich to Harwich trains. There has been a lot of testing there recently and would imagine an introduction is imminent as they are just part of existing jobs and are covered by Ipswich drivers.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
not sure what’s happening with the Ipswich to Harwich trains. There has been a lot of testing there recently and would imagine an introduction is imminent as they are just part of existing jobs and are covered by Ipswich drivers.

Today’s 0750 Harwich International to Cambridge was (as usual) cancelled between Harwich Int’l and Ipswich, but this time “for an unknown reason” according to RTT. Makes a difference from “due a problem at the depot.” I will be on it in three weeks, I wonder if they’ll have finally restored that service from Harwich by then.

Shunter_69

Today’s 0750 Harwich International to Cambridge was (as usual) cancelled between Harwich Int’l and Ipswich, but this time “for an unknown reason” according to RTT. Makes a difference from “due a problem at the depot.” I will be on it in three weeks, I wonder if they’ll have finally restored that service from Harwich by then.

hopefully so although the morning one was cancelled between Ipswich and Harwich quite often before the 755’s came along.