• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

ashkeba

Established Member
For once it seems like DfT have reached a good compromise with that decision. Makes the scheduling more critical though, cue a future journey check entry - this service has been cancelled due to the train needing fuel...
Is that likely to be attribution code MC (Diesel loco defect) or the seemingly catch-all MU (Depot operational problem)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
For once it seems like DfT have reached a good compromise with that decision. Makes the scheduling more critical though, cue a future journey check entry - this service has been cancelled due to the train needing fuel...

It means they can of course run as fast as the units they replace everywhere, plus gain the benefits of improved acceleration. The only downside is they need fuelled during the day on some diagrams apparently. Hopefully they sign off on fuelling at Ipswich and Colchester soon

eastdyke

Established Member
On another forum it was stated that Ipswich Plat. 1 and Colchester Plat. 6 would be used for re-fuelling once risk assessments had been made.
Thanks. Are there any precedents for refuelling at a station platform (albeit from the non-platform side)?
Perhaps someone can think of some?

delticdave

, post: 4386453, member: 5689"]Thanks. Are there any precedents for refuelling at a station platform (albeit from the non-platform side)?
Perhaps someone can think of some?[/QUOTE]

Not in the UK, but there's video evidence of Diesel railcars being refueled at the passenger platform in Palma(Mallorca) & on the RTM system in the Rotterdam Delta.

GO Transit stable their Diesel loco hauled trains at the suburban termini overnight, & some of the platforms have electric power cables & air-supply pipes, they may also have fuelling points too.

Railperf

Established Member
Oh it's hard to say a distance. That is in electric mode and bloody quick acceleration I tell thee.
I have measured 0 to 100mph in 69 seconds and 1.3 miles. Slightly downhill start though.

gingerheid

Established Member
Braving the train again :)

755 instead of a 153 on the 0642 from Cambridge to Ipswich is the life :)

Strangely dreadful sound quality on the intercom though; announcements are always broken up and hard to hear.

eastdyke

Established Member
It belongs to Freightliner & they plan (although all gone quiet) to the upper yard.
I know that a planning application went in, will try to check on progress later and on what fuel arrangements were included.
Plans are to fuel units in platform 1 at Ipswich overnight.
Do you know if a bunded storage tank was included or just direct delivery from a road tanker?
Cheers!

It might seem perverse to 'the authorities' that 'the railway' cannot manage a single fuel point for a relatively small number of locos and units at Ipswich :|

LAX54

Established Member
I know that a planning application went in, will try to check on progress later and on what fuel arrangements were included.

Do you know if a bunded storage tank was included or just direct delivery from a road tanker?
Cheers!

It might seem perverse to 'the authorities' that 'the railway' cannot manage a single fuel point for a relatively small number of locos and units at Ipswich :|

Of course the fuel road / table road is not only used for fuelling :)

As from last week, there is no access to the Upper Yard from the rest of the Network, it is all fenced off, we can now only Signal trains to the Reception Roads ( 1 to 4)

dk1

Veteran Member

Cheers!

Just a road tanker on the old fish dock was what was mentioned.

eastdyke

Established Member
Of course the fuel road / table road is not only used for fuelling :)
As from last week, there is no access to the Upper Yard from the rest of the Network, it is all fenced off, we can now only Signal trains to the Reception Roads ( 1 to 4)
I remember the table .... :(
Looks then as if Freightliner are progessing the depot proposal, will still check the planning to see if I can tell how the new fuel point will work.

LAX54

Established Member
I remember the table .... :(
Looks then as if Freightliner are progessing the depot proposal, will still check the planning to see if I can tell how the new fuel point will work.

Yard Supervisor says building work starts today (16th)

eastdyke

Established Member
Yard Supervisor says building work starts today (16th)
Excellent news, thank you :cake:
Will remove LE occupation of platform ends and all those moves at the western throat. Bring it on!
And then of course P5/6 LOL ........ ££££££ ..........

eastdyke

Established Member
Have now checked the PA for the Freightliner facility.
https://ppc.ipswich.gov.uk/appndetails.asp?iAppID=19/00071/FUL&sType=APP&search_params=pageNumber=1&txtStreetName=Ranelagh+Road&hdnStreetID=!0000MG00SD000!&txtValStartDate=01%2F12%2F2018&txtValEndDate=31%2F01%2F2019&pnlAdvancedOpen=1&&prev_search_params=&det_search_params=
The new facility includes:
Reinforced concrete fueling (sic) pad two locomotives long with steel framed canopy over; 48.00 x 3.20m; reinforced concrete bunded locomotive stands full length.
Two 100,000 Litres fuel tanks with reinforced concrete tanker stand at one end.
Bunded length would seem to exclude use by GA
The planning approval and conditions may give 'the railway' a further problem:
This permission is also subject to the following condition(s): -
23. On commencement of the hereby-approved use, the applicant shall cease maintenance or fuelling at the existing facility adjacent to Ipswich Train Station.

The reasons for the above condition(s) are as follows: -
23. In the interests of amenity and to avoid fuelling and maintenance activities being carried out by the applicant at two locations in close proximity to each other.

mawallace

Interesting to see GA admit they need to improve the new trains to the press

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-pledge-after-rail-chaos-1-6467986

Greater Anglia has now said it is working with train makers Stadler to try to identify the problems that have developed - and to ensure the trains are able to provide a reliable service.

A spokeswoman for Greater Anglia said: "We are very sorry for the disruption and cancellations customers on our local lines in Suffolk have experienced in recent days. We are implementing a number of actions to improve train service performance. These include :

"■ Additional work to overcome teething issues with the new trains as quickly as possible

"■ Work to speed up the completion of all the testing, commissioning and training associated with the introduction of the new trains

"■ Action to help enable smooth overnight operations at Norwich Crown Point depot.

"■ Work to review and revise contingency plans for when problems do occur."We believe these initiatives will result in a progressively improving service in the weeks ahead, so we can then consistently provide the high quality service customers rightly expect and we intend to deliver.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Curiously, a friend of my wife claims to have boarded this train at Shelford earlier, travelling south: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F45860/2020-01-16/detailed

Her words to my wife (passed on to me) were "It's a new train and it was terminating at Bishop's Stortford", and the time she gave corresponded.

Are these 5Qxx paths carrying passengers?

Edit: Turns out she didn't get on it, but was a little confused by the trains's destination being shown as Bishop's Stortford in spite of not being in service.

Last edited: