• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

RailWonderer

Established Member
Agree, the 745/1 are horrible, cheap and nasty trains. I was quite pleased to get 755328 on the 0628 this week - I could actually get some proper work done and have a coffee at the same time unlike a 745/1.
What? They are easily the highest quality new train delivered in recent years, besides the lack of tables on the 745/1s (which was intended for airport passengers' luggage). You must have never travelled on a Hitachi IET, a new CAF Civity or many other trains if you think a Stadler product is cheap and nasty. God help you.

In an ideal world I would add first class & tables to all 745/1s (no cafe bar as too expensive) concentrate them all on the GEML then modify a sub-fleet of 720s & dedicate them to Stansted Express. I suppose around 20 or so would be required. Looks like the DfT/GA/Stansted have met & a return to an all day 15min frequency could be on the cards sooner rather than later.
I agreed with this proposal a while back, but the DfT won't fund a 720 refit for Stansted nor a 745 refit. The GE wouldn't need bay tables or first class anyway, as the current 720s don't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In an ideal world I would add first class & tables to all 745/1s (no cafe bar as too expensive) concentrate them all on the GEML then modify a sub-fleet of 720s & dedicate them to Stansted Express. I suppose around 20 or so would be required. Looks like the DfT/GA/Stansted have met & a return to an all day 15min frequency could be on the cards sooner rather than later.
I agree. 720s or even the 379s which were great for the job with the added flexibility of 8 or 12 car formations (5 is too short, so needs to be 10 all the time)

dk1

Veteran Member
What? They are easily the highest quality new train delivered in recent years, besides the lack of tables on the 745/1s (which was intended for airport passengers' luggage). You must have never travelled on a Hitachi IET, a new CAF Civity or many other trains if you think a Stadler product is cheap and nasty. God help you.

I agreed with this proposal a while back, but the DfT won't fund a 720 refit for Stansted nor a 745 refit. The GE wouldn't need bay tables or first class anyway, as the current 720s don't.
Only upgrading 3-4 would guarantee 1st class on all Intercity services & keep everyone happy. The other 6-7 would then be confined to GE & a daily extension to/from Norwich (could always be ECS) for maintenance cycling. As you state though, currently nobody wants to put their hands in their pockets. Hopefully common sense will prevail eventually.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes it was a long forgotten franchise commitment. Four per-day was I think the plan.

Not forgotten.

Deliberately removed, as a “popular with stakeholders, but would lose a load of money” service.

StephenHunter

Established Member
No and no, the rock hard seats, narrow aisles and lack of any luggage space makes them not appropriate for the Norwich IC at all.
The 15:30, 16:00 and 18:00 ex-Liverpool St are all 745/1s today with no first but at least they have luggage space and bays free of tables for luggage as well, and a trolley. The narow aisles on the 720s and small vestibules would not allow for any catering either. Keep them on short hop GE services and the WA to bust commuting crowds, that is what they were designed for.
745/1s do Norwich services because that's where the depot is for the Flirt fleet and its more profitable than a full ECS run.

gingerheid

Established Member
The franchise committments :'( The earlier train to Ipswich and / or the increased service from Ely to Ipswich would have made a big difference to me :(

About time - Stansted as as busy as it ever was (or very close). The only difference is that it's much harder to get to (in all directions, and by all modes of public transport).

Agree, the 745/1 are horrible, cheap and nasty trains. I was quite pleased to get 755328 on the 0628 this week - I could actually get some proper work done and have a coffee at the same time unlike a 745/1.
I would rather do England > Scotland in either a 455 or a 745 than anything that currently does the journey during daytime! In fact, I would be very happy with a world in which all daytime services in the UK were Stadlers!

Established Member
Yep, this was suggested way back, as soon as the GA planners were gifted the bid. But getting everyone to see the benefit seems to be a step too far.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
That they might be but if I'm honest I haven't found Stadler products worthy of the praise heaped on them. Afraid no trains delivered recently have made me feel they were worth the effort.

chubs

That they might be but if I'm honest I haven't found Stadler products worthy of the praise heaped on them. Afraid no trains delivered recently have made me feel they were worth the effort.

Personally I've found them amazing, the travelling experience in GA land has been thoroughly transformed both on the local lines and Intercity. Bright, spacious, comfortable and airy. No rattling (or squalling, screeching, and all the other sounds the life expired mk3's made).

Stansted returning to a proper timetable for the summer would make far too much sense considering how busy it is.

It does sound like someone needs to make a decision on the Intercity and Stansted Express fleet, cant keep mixing and matching the two types of 745 and 755's forever.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Stansted returning to a proper timetable for the summer would make far too much sense considering how busy it is.
Are 745s on the Stansted route genuinely full and standing for significant parts of the day? You would imagine that with 12 coaches, there should be plenty of capacity at most times without the need for a train every fifteen minutes.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Are 745s on the Stansted route genuinely full and standing for significant parts of the day? You would imagine that with 12 coaches, there should be plenty of capacity at most times without the need for a train every fifteen minutes.

The Stansted Express train from both terminuses, is probably one of the worst if not the worst route in the UK in terms of uneven load distribution.

What is a 'full and standing like sardines' train at the back, gets progressively less populated as you get to the front to the point where I've barely had double figures in my carriage.

Always amusing to see the loading graphic on the displays though where the front half of the train is always orange FULL and much more space being in the front.

Class15

On Moderation
Personally I've found them amazing, the travelling experience in GA land has been thoroughly transformed both on the local lines and Intercity. Bright, spacious, comfortable and airy. No rattling (or squalling, screeching, and all the other sounds the life expired mk3's made).

It does sound like someone needs to make a decision on the Intercity and Stansted Express fleet, cant keep mixing and matching the two types of 745 and 755's forever.
The Mk3 sets had more facilities and were more comfortable than any 745s. Maybe just my opinion but that’s what I thought.

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like a pair of 755/4's on the 08.00 ex Norwich on the 'stopping' diagram and booked for 10.30 back. That's going to be cosy.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like a pair of 755/4's on the 08.00 ex Norwich on the 'stopping' diagram and booked for 10.30 back. That's going to be cosy.

It was only one in the end. Some passengers and the carering trolley unable to board at Norwich.

Railperf

Established Member
The Mk3 sets had more facilities and were more comfortable than any 745s. Maybe just my opinion but that’s what I thought.
If GA mk 3's had been refurbished to LNER standards, then they may have been missed. Class 90's performed terribly in the wet, slipping and losing time. The 745's are superior for passengers - more seats - better performance.

It was only one in the end. Some passengers and the carering trolley unable to board at Norwich.
Will it stay in diagram for the 13.00 ex Norwich? Or will another unit be added? EDIT: Hearing it is two 755/4 units. Where did the second unit attach?

GA Journey check stating 16.30 ex Norwich to be 7 coaches instead of 10. Suggests this is booked to be a 755/4 plus two 755/3's. But will only be a 755/3 with a single 755/4 today.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Will it stay in diagram for the 13.00 ex Norwich? Or will another unit be added?

GA Journey check stating 16.30 ex Norwich to be 7 coaches instead of 10. Suggests this is booked to be a 755/4 plus two 755/3's. But will only be a 755/3 with a single 755/4 today.

Only know what happened this morning I’m afraid. I’m sure they’ll do their best to strengthen or swap out but depends what’s available.

Really should be able to find a Stansted 745 to cover Norwich service, Stansted service is half hourly all day Saturday

dk1

Veteran Member
Typo of the week!

or is it usually rushed down the aisles with abandon…

Haha I never noticed that. Must’ve been in as much of a hurry typing as the trolley host was at getting out of the station and down to the beach.

apinnard

Yes, that was the plan. I remember the days when a 3-car 170 ran under the wires - packed to the rafters!! That was a waste

I’m old enough to remember the occasional 47 subbing for an 86/2 on the Intercity run. With the sole remaining MK1 restaurant car they used to sandwich into the MK2E/F rakes.

dk1

Veteran Member
I’m old enough to remember the occasional 47 subbing for an 86/2 on the Intercity run. With the sole remaining MK1 restaurant car they used to sandwich into the MK2E/F rakes.
Was usually the 08:05 up. We used to hire in the RES 47 off the postal vans.

southern442

Established Member
If GA mk 3's had been refurbished to LNER standards, then they may have been missed. Class 90's performed terribly in the wet, slipping and losing time. The 745's are superior for passengers - more seats - better performance.
Agreed, plus the somewhat unique layout allows for easy boarding with the double doors but still the intercity experience of having sealed-off vestibules. This plus the different height seating and corridor connections inbetween make them feel quite cosy to me, in a weird way. I'm not a huge fan of the seats as they aren't really suited to my posture but I accept that this is just my opinion and others quite like them.

TheBigD

Established Member
I see that one of the 755s lost it's pantograph north of Ely North Jn on Sunday evening. For whatever reason, it seems that the pantograph wasn't lowered before it took the Norwich Line

Is there any reason why they seem to stop a lot further back from the buffers at Liverpool Street compared to a 720 which normally stop about 6ft from them?

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why they seem to stop a lot further back from the buffers at Liverpool Street compared to a 720 which normally stop about 6ft from them?

It’s 745s that do that mate but only in platforms 9/10. It’s due to the TPWS grids at the country end.

Railperf

Established Member
2 sets of 755's seemingly out on Liverpool St to Norwich diagrams and V.v in 10 and 11 vehicle formations