• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Slightly better off the mark but the lack of seating is causing overcrowding and severely to the point of passengers turned away on the busiest trains.
Interesting, a 755/4 plus 755/4 plus 755/3 offers the same amount of standard class seats but obviously no first class - loss of 80 seats. The 2 x 755/3 plus a 755/4 combo is appx 100 standard class seats short and no first class. Both seem to offer more seats than the old loco hauled sets.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Interesting, a 755/4 plus 755/4 plus 755/3 offers the same amount of standard class seats but obviously no first class - loss of 80 seats. The 2 x 755/3 plus a 755/4 combo is appx standard class seats short and no first class. Both seem to offer more seats than the old loco hauled sets.

Just goes to show how busy things have got again. The 06:28 Norwich-Liv St is a particular problem as is the 19:02 return. Not helped by the still missing 06:48 up & 19:00 Ni90 down.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Just goes to show how busy things have got again. The 06:28 Norwich-Liv St is a particular problem as is the 19:02 return. Not helped by the still missing 06:48 up & 19:00 Ni90 down.
Is the problem a lack of services south of Colchester that could be dealt with using 720s, or further north? If passengers are choosing to travel from Colchester or Chelmsford on 745s, there is a fairly obvious fix of restricting boarding.

There are, after all surplus 720s, although I note that squeezing more trains in doesn't help with punctuality.

RailWonderer

Established Member
A solution would be to have a fast Ipswich calling at Chelmsford, Colchester, Maningtree and have all Norwich IC run non stop between Ipswich and London, which I think they should do on weekends.

Railperf

Established Member
Is 3 x 755/4 too long a consist?

dk1

Veteran Member
Is 3 x 755/4 too long a consist?
Yes, the current 3/3/4 show up as 11-cars.

Is the problem a lack of services south of Colchester that could be dealt with using 720s, or further north? If passengers are choosing to travel from Colchester or Chelmsford on 745s, there is a fairly obvious fix of restricting boarding.

There are, after all surplus 720s, although I note that squeezing more trains in doesn't help with punctuality.

The 06:28 runs full & standing from Manningtree. There are I hear plans to start another GE service back from Ipswich but what’s really needed is the 06:48 & 19:00 returned to the timetable.

The 07:26 which is now formed by x2 755s calls at Colchester (officially) to set down only.

Jturner98

Might of been covered elsewhere but with the 720s still to enter service is it possible that these will eventually sub for a 745 instead of using a 755?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Might of been covered elsewhere but with the 720s still to enter service is it possible that these will eventually sub for a 745 instead of using a 755?
I think the problem previously noted is that Norwich, Ipswich and ex-Anglia at Liverpool Street traincrew don't sign 720s, so any 720 service would need to be crewed by staff from Colchester.

dk1

Veteran Member
Most Anglia drivers don’t sign 720s & apart from test trips, have not operated north of Stowmarket (possibly Ipswich) in traffic. Any plans to work to Norwich were abolished in 2020/21.

I think the problem previously noted is that Norwich and Ipswich traincrew don't sign 720s, so any 720 service would need to be crewed by staff from Colchester.

Colchester drivers cannot work north of Haughley on the GEML.

Tobbes

Established Member
I'm an Ipswich/Manningtree - LST commuter, and the Stadlers are fantastic, much better IMO than the Mk 3s (especially at the end). Compared with GWR IETs, there's no contest, though I've not been on another flavour of IET, it should be said.

The StanEx units minus tables are always a bit of a pain - I like my table, thank you! Anything that could bring them up to normal IC standard would be great. And the 755s are a revelation whether putting a bike on on the East Suffolk or getting the 0600 ex-Ipswich to Peterborough to go north or west - I remember the 153s/156s on these same services and the best thing that can be said is they staved off closure back in the day, and the crews always tried hard. But compared to the 755s, it's a different universe.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm an Ipswich/Manningtree - LST commuter, and the Stadlers are fantastic, much better IMO than the Mk 3s (especially at the end). Compared with GWR IETs, there's no contest, though I've not been on another flavour of IET, it should be said.

The StanEx units minus tables are always a bit of a pain - I like my table, thank you! Anything that could bring them up to normal IC standard would be great. And the 755s are a revelation whether putting a bike on on the East Suffolk or getting the 0600 ex-Ipswich to Peterborough to go north or west - I remember the 153s/156s on these same services and the best thing that can be said is they staved off closure back in the day, and the crews always tried hard. But compared to the 755s, it's a different universe.
I refuse to agree with anyone that suggests they have an ambience of an Intercity train. Meanwhile, I think the IETs - particularly LNER’s - do.

Railperf

Established Member
I refuse to agree with anyone that suggests they have an ambience of an Intercity train. Meanwhile, I think the IETs - particularly LNER’s - do.
Ambience is a subjective subject. But i'm sure that for the regional services on which the 755s were and are primarily used for - the ambience and passenger comfort way exceeds the previous class 153, 156 trains. I commuted in from Manningtree for several years, so i have used 321's, Class 86/90 hauled trains, Class 360s and now both the 720's and 745/755 fleet. The 745/755's are a huge improvement from a passenger perspective than anything gone before. If a competing TOC were to use a 745/755 fleet on any of the other main Intercity routes, i would be inclined to use that service over an IET every time. Class 755/ 4 combo London to Aberdeen ? Might be slightly slower - but yes i would choose it every time over an IET if it were available.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Ambience is meaningless if you can’t get a seat or the seat, ride and catering is inferior. I returned from Bristol yesterday and the IETs were so full and standing people (including me) were unable to board so I took a 165 to Salisbury and a 158 back to Waterloo where I had a more comfortable seat and the ride is far superior.

Those 158s may only be regional trains but I much prefer them on IC journeys to IETs and I will use the WoE line from now on. They have superior comfort even without a buffet they are superior to IETs and are less busy.
Ambience is a subjective subject. But i'm sure that for the regional services on which the 755s were and are primarily used for - the ambience and passenger comfort way exceeds the previous class 153, 156 trains. I commuted in from Manningtree for several years, so i have used 321's, Class 86/90 hauled trains, Class 360s and now both the 720's and 745/755 fleet. The 745/755's are a huge improvement from a passenger perspective than anything gone before. If a competing TOC were to use a 745/755 fleet on any of the other main Intercity routes, i would be inclined to use that service over an IET every time. Class 755/ 4 combo London to Aberdeen ? Might be slightly slower - but yes i would choose it every time over an IET if it were available.
totally agree.

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member

are there surplus 720s currently?

I thought there would be surplus 720s when all of them have been delivered, which as far as I'm aware hasn't happened yet

Adrian1980uk

The 06:28 runs full & standing from Manningtree. There are I hear plans to start another GE service back from Ipswich but what’s really needed is the 06:48 & 19:00 returned to the timetable.

The 07:26 which is now formed by x2 755s calls at Colchester (officially) to set down only.

Challenge is that there doesn't appear to be the extra trains to increase the intercity from Norwich, I know most predicted this on here when they were ordered, but maybe the answer is an extra 720 from Ipswich to soak up demand.

One wonders what would have happened without COVID, with increased passengers.

I tend to travel on 07:05 to Liverpool street and that now is fairly full too, which is good news. I think we'll see more complaints of full trains from September as more people return office after the summer break as I think generally that is the expectation of companies of at least 2days a week.

I agree, the 06:48 really needs to return. The 07:05 attracts the last of the regular morning commuters as well as those travelling to London for a day business trip.

I travelled on the 07:26 for the first time today. I notice that was formed of 11 coaches and the screens at Colchester were advertising it as the 08:32 to London. Until last week RTT still had Colchester as set down only but that doesn’t apply from this week onwards. Even the journey planners have the 08:32 as a service from Colchester to London. Has the set down only been dropped ?

Adrian1980uk

I have to agree, I always said a few years ago when the clamour for new trains in the press was at its peak, careful what you wish for as I had visions of it changing to an extended commuter based service but the Stadlers have been better than anyone could have expected

RunRepeat

I caught the 19.02 yesterday evening, woefully inadequate. Standing the whole way through including in the power pack (the thee car I was in anyway). A few seats became available at Colchester but still not enough to accommodate those standing.

dk1

Veteran Member
I caught the 19.02 yesterday evening, woefully inadequate. Standing the whole way through including in the power pack (the thee car I was in anyway). A few seats became available at Colchester but still not enough to accommodate those standing.
It's only going to get worse.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Is the 06:28 up/09:00 down always a 755? Today it was 336 coupled to I don’t know if it was a /3 and a /4 or two /4s. It wasn’t showing on journeycheck so I assume it’s booked traction and not a substitute.

Also the 18:10 down has not returned either though I don’t know how busy the 17:50 and 18:30 downs are.
It wasn’t 3 coaches surely? Journeycheck wasn’t showing any short forms yesterday.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is the 06:28 up/09:00 down always a 755? Today it was 336 coupled to I don’t know if it was a /3 and a /4 or two /4s. It wasn’t showing on journeycheck so I assume it’s booked traction and not a substitute.

Also the 18:10 down has not returned either though I don’t know how busy the 17:50 and 18:30 downs are.

It wasn’t 3 coaches surely? Journeycheck wasn’t showing any short forms yesterday.
06:48 up & 18:10 dn (SX) have not returned though are desperately needed at least Tuesday to Friday. Yes, bimodes are used nearly all day on diagrams starting 06:28 & 07:26 ex-Norwich now.

RunRepeat

It was 3/3/4 formation, I was in the middle set. However when I was walking up towards the front, there were people walking back down the formation as the front 4 was obviously rammed full.

Adrian1980uk

Busy on 17:50 although a Stansted Express 745 with a coach locked out.

They are getting busier in the mornings too, 7:05 was full, but I don't know there's enough Rolling stock to increase services without putting 720s on