• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Not a fan of token services, I know harder to do but I'd prefer majority were 1hour 40mins for example so more benefit. There is slack in timetable to do this but clearly its the paths between Ipswich and Liverpool Street. Basically seems a gentle cruise from Liverpool Street to Colchester in the evening - my guess following a stopper or frieght train, end of the day there is only so much capacity on those sections.
The GEML services to Southend, Braintree, Clacton, Colchester and Ipswich are running to Class 321 timings. That means the XX;00 Norwich service catches up the Southend service by Shenfield, the Braintree service at Witham, and then is on the coat tails of the Colchester Town service from Marks Tey onwards. Similarly the Class 745 timings are still not as fast as they could be.

GeoffS

The 720s would be alright if the aisle wasn't so narrow. The narrow aisle is annoying on commuter services, but it's completely unsuitable for Stansted Express.

Should be mostly 2+2.
Better still, COMPLETLY 2+2! The compelling verdict on the 3+2 is that one can walk through a whole carriage without seeing any of the groups of 3 seats occupied by 3 people!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is there a 755/745 still in the south somewhere? I remember seeing one when I was travelling to London?
There were three 755s at Liverpool Street on Friday afternoon. This seems to be a regular feature substituting for a 745/0.

dk1

Veteran Member
But they shouldn’t be, putting regional trains on intercity services is unacceptable. Next it’ll be 150s on Paddington to Penzance!

Oh please!! They were always planned to operate on the mainline from Norwich as were 720s.

LowLevel

Established Member
But they shouldn’t be, putting regional trains on intercity services is unacceptable. Next it’ll be 150s on Paddington to Penzance!
A lash up of 755s which excepting first class have the same interior more or less as a 745, is nothing at all like running a 150 from London to Penzance, is it really?

On Moderation
But they shouldn’t be, putting regional trains on intercity services is unacceptable.
There's no major difference betwen them for the passenger, other than the lack of first class and buffet. So a 755 lash-up is, from a passenger perspective, pretty much the same as a 745/1. Do you have a problem with 745/1s being used on Norwich trains, too?
Next it’ll be 150s on Paddington to Penzance!
That's hyperbolic nonsense. There's a huge difference between a 150 and a 745 and you know it.

Class15

On Moderation
A lash up of 755s which excepting first class have the same interior more or less as a 745, is nothing at all like running a 150 from London to Penzance, is it really?
I’m not a user of first class, but some people are, and paying the fee for an Intercity train with a Cafe bar and first class should not present a regional standard-class only unit.

It was only last week when a 166 made its way up from Paignton. :)
I’d better get prepared for the 378s on the Sleeper :lol:

Oh please!! They were always planned to operate on the mainline from Norwich as were 720s.
I don’t care whether they were planned to or not. The fact that unsuitable trains are being used on Intercity services is diabolical, whether it’s supposed to happen or not. The fact is they did not order enough 745s. Let’s get that straight.

You have to laugh.
At yourself.

dk1

Veteran Member
I don’t care whether they were planned to or not. The fact that unsuitable trains are being used on Intercity services is diabolical, whether it’s supposed to happen or not. The fact is they did not order enough 745s. Let’s get that straight.

We are where we are, I can only say that the word ‘diabolical’ makes me chuckle more than ‘fuming’ if that’s possible.

At yourself.
Always

Class15

On Moderation
We are where we are, I can only say that the word ‘diabolical’ makes me chuckle more than ‘fuming’ if that’s possible.
Where we are is that GA needs more intercity trains. Of course, it’s not GA’s fault, it’s the fault of the DfT who won’t fund anything that’s actually needed and only funds unnecessary new trains.

Don’t worry I do too, all the time! :lol:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
I’m not a user of first class, but some people are, and paying the fee for an Intercity train with a Cafe bar and first class should not present a regional standard-class only unit.
I’m struggling to understand you here - these services won’t be advertised to have such facilities.
Again, I’m struggling - what makes them completely unsuitable? They’re of the same interior design spec as the Intercity sister units.

dk1

Veteran Member
Where we are is that GA needs more intercity trains. Of course, it’s not GA’s fault, it’s the fault of the DfT who won’t fund anything that’s actually needed and only funds unnecessary new trains.

That was a fault from day 1 that every switched on staff member criticised. Nothing you can do about that now especially as the DfT is so tight bumed and constantly bleating about what us poor tax payers have to contribute lol.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m struggling to understand you here - these services won’t be advertised to have such facilities.
It's actually quite frequent that services advertised as having first class accommodation get operated by something other than a 745/0.

Class15

On Moderation
That was a fault from day 1 that every switched on staff member criticised. Nothing you can do about that now especially as the DfT is so tight bumed and constantly bleating about what us poor tax payers have to contribute lol.
So tight bumed that they ordered extra 730s to replace 15 year old perfectly fine units….

Frequently 745/1s or 755s are seen on services which have first class advertised. Again, I’m not a user of first class, but I don’t think this is a good way to go about things.
Again, I’m struggling - what makes them completely unsuitable? They’re of the same interior design spec as the Intercity sister units.
Lack of advertised facilities such as first class and a café bar. Also they’re shorter (I haven’t seen 12 car 755s) which can frequently cause overcrowding. Fine on commuter routes but not on a region’s premier intercity route.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Whether advertised or not, intercity services need some form of first class accommodation
Do they? The vast majority of passengers have zero interest in first class accommodation, and indeed for that matter, light refreshments.

dk1

Veteran Member
Do you think that's acceptable?

Unless the DfT commit to converting 720s for Stansted Express operation & pay to convert some 745/1s with first class, I see no other option.

I don’t think that is. Whether advertised or not, intercity services need some form of first class accommodation and at least light refreshments.

Light refreshments are offered with a trolley on 745/1 Intercity services booked to have catering & in one of the 755s when in multiple.

Class15

On Moderation
Unless the DfT commit to converting 720s for Stansted Express operation & pay to convert some 745/1s with first class, I see no other option.
Maybe should have got more 745/0s rather than unnecessary 720s to replace 379s…
What about getting a few 379s back for Norwich services? An improvement on 755s, surely.

dk1

Veteran Member
Maybe should have got more 745/0s rather than unnecessary 720s to replace 379s…
What about getting a few 379s back for Norwich services? An improvement on 755s, surely.

That’s all history now and been said many times before. We are where we are I’m afraid.

Adrian1980uk

Light refreshments are offered with a trolley on 745/1 Intercity services booked to have catering & in one of the 755s when in multiple.

This is the problem, there are no real solutions, can't order the 2 or 3 extra units required as that would cost a fortune to get Stadler to retool up for those. Converting the Stansted Express properly with buffet car would be expensive too and to the detriment of the service they're designed so whatever happens here on in will be a fudge.

Typical government procurement though, spend millions later to save 2 million now.

Time will tell what does become the answer but I can see it losing intercity status as less people will book first class if it becomes too pot luck to get it.