• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Dixie

New Stadler train for Abellio East Anglia heading through Boudry near Neuchatel Switzerland. Photographs by and copyright of Mario Stefani. Thanks Mario for allowing their use.

BMU.jpg BMU_2.jpgBMU_3.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

The bit above door is the rail for plug doors. There are no decals visable, 1st class, carriage letter etc. As said that are yet to be fitted

Doomotron

The bit above door is the rail for plug doors. There are no decals visable, 1st class, carriage letter etc. As said that are yet to be fitted
That's not what I meant. Above the doors there is an orange line (which, yes, is part of the plug door mechanism) but could (very big could) be a sort of redesigned cant line. Unlikely, but certainly possible.

The_Engineer

That Orange line look more like a rain gutter to me...…. Plug doors don't need an eternal rail (see MK.IV)

dp21

That Orange line look more like a rain gutter to me...…. Plug doors don't need an eternal rail (see MK.IV)

Bingo. The gutter is orange because it's at the same level the cant rail line is. That'll be added later on as a vinyl.

TheEdge

Established Member
So we've got a few drivers now who've been out to Romania and had a little play on them, or at least the bi-mode. Main report is, they shift. One quoted figure is 100mph in 100 seconds.

superalbs

Established Member
So we've got a few drivers now who've been out to Romania and had a little play on them, or at least the bi-mode. Main report is, they shift. One quoted figure is 100mph in 100 seconds.
Which mode is that on?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which mode is that on?

Electric, probably. The Swiss ones go like the proverbial off the hand-held earth moving device - even leaving the fairly quick Desiro well behind. It's one reason why I'm a fan - they should be able to offer substantial timetable improvements, particularly on the likes of Merseyrail where the 50x are somewhat lethargic, but also on any branch lines like those of Abellio.

eastdyke

Established Member
..... but also on any branch lines like those of Abellio.
But it is how they perform on diesel that will come to define the bi-modes. A lot of the services will have minimal chance of electric working, and even then exactly what 'the system' will permit them to do is a lttle unclear.
That said, I can't wait to see them in action, bring it on! :)

ac6000cw

Established Member
But it is how they perform on diesel that will come to define the bi-modes. A lot of the services will have minimal chance of electric working, and even then exactly what 'the system' will permit them to do is a lttle unclear.

Especially the 4-car version, with four engines and nearly 2 MW available ;) (see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...adler-flirt-trains.148431/page-2#post-3027536 ), although for reasons of fuel economy and emissions minimisation I assume they'll operate 'genset' style and only run as many engines as are needed to satisfy the immediate power requirements.

mullac30

On Diesel, they have an extremely good power to weight ratio, better than even a Short-Set HST with the 4-car version. Only downside is the small fuel tanks.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Electric, probably. The Swiss ones go like the proverbial off the hand-held earth moving device - even leaving the fairly quick Desiro well behind. It's one reason why I'm a fan - they should be able to offer substantial timetable improvements, particularly on the likes of Merseyrail where the 50x are somewhat lethargic, but also on any branch lines like those of Abellio.
Performance on Merseyrail's antiquated third rail system may be somewhat different from what it is on a properly-engineered high voltage OLE supply in Switzerland.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Performance on Merseyrail's antiquated third rail system may be somewhat different from what it is on a properly-engineered high voltage OLE supply in Switzerland.

They're still not terrible on the low voltage DC "tram OHLE" that is generally used on the narrow gauge lines, though.

Wivenswold

Established Member
With two of those deutz v8 diesel engines on a two car, they appear to be a match for the 321's acceleration.

The_Engineer

With two of those deutz v8 diesel engines on a two car, they appear to be a match for the 321's acceleration.

What is very noticeable is the LACK of diesel engine noise! Just a faint whine of electric motors and drive. You'd almost believe it is a straight electric train......

Wivenswold

Established Member
It's quite a lovely sound in my ears. I really think these units will become popular with enthusiasts. Something a bit different and in an area of the country that has very close links with The Netherlands & Germany it all seems very apt.

TheEdge

Established Member
Apparently they are nippy in both modes and relatively quiet when on diesel.

dp21

I've been quoted 1.7ms^-2 acceleration on the 3-cars in electric mode which is, I believe, faster than basically anything else on the mainline. It's also double the 0.8ms^-2 of the victoria line 09 stock.

Whether it'll be able to put down that power in the real world is another matter but it's impressive stats.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Very impressive but meaningless without an effective range. Is that until 10m/s? 40m/s? Clearly the unit isn't going to be accelerating at the same rate as the former by the time it has reached the latter.

Domh245

Established Member
1.7ms^-2 would be better acceleration than many vehicles emergency deceleration! I'd expect that it'd be restricted to something a little more sensible in service.

Doomotron

I've been quoted 1.7ms^-2 acceleration on the 3-cars in electric mode which is, I believe, faster than basically anything else on the mainline. It's also double the 0.8ms^-2 of the victoria line 09 stock.

Whether it'll be able to put down that power in the real world is another matter but it's impressive stats.
A 0-60 time may be more useful. Maybe even a quarter-mile or kilometer could help see how fast it is accelerating from 0 and near its top speed.

OK, maybe 0-60 may be a bit strange for a train. 0-25? 0-40-0?