• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

gingertom

Established Member
I've found a spec for electric-only Flirts on Belarus' railway.
Relevant details:
4-car 132t 5-car 150t
2x powered bogies, 1000kw each, total tractive effort 200kN up to 47km/h 29m/h
acceleration 4-car 1.2m/s/s 5 car 1m/s/s

I calculate an electric 3-car would weigh in at around 104t and accelerate at 1.5m/s/s. What is as yet unknown is the weight of the power pods in the AGA bi-mode versions, 2 engines in a 3-car and 4 in the 4. This will reduce their acceleration somewhat.

https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e9...951-868b01c6fc0f/flirt_blr_bzd0814ir_45en.pdf

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
500kW traction motors? wow.
The Estonian FliRTs are rated at 1.2m/s^2 on electric and 0.85m/s^2 on diesel, I imagine the UK units will be similar in that regard.
[http://railcolornews.com/2014/06/18/flirt-trains-in-estonia-passengers-increased/]

This video may be quite helpful in terms of sound comparison - I appreciate they're not the same unit, but that should offer a little insight at noise levels.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well, all I did was divide 2000kW from the specification document you provided, by the four traction motors you would have on two powered bogies. Not complex arithmetic :P
The point I was making was, that's massive - I thought most EMU/DEMU traction motors to my knowledge are usually 200-300 at most.

Jonny

Established Member
I've found a spec for electric-only Flirts on Belarus' railway.
Relevant details:
4-car 132t 5-car 150t
2x powered bogies, 1000kw each, total tractive effort 200kN up to 47km/h 29m/h
acceleration 4-car 1.2m/s/s 5 car 1m/s/s

I calculate an electric 3-car would weigh in at around 104t and accelerate at 1.5m/s/s. What is as yet unknown is the weight of the power pods in the AGA bi-mode versions, 2 engines in a 3-car and 4 in the 4. This will reduce their acceleration somewhat.

https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e9...951-868b01c6fc0f/flirt_blr_bzd0814ir_45en.pdf

Is the 'power pod' the short coach without the windows?

gingertom

Established Member
Well, all I did was divide 2000kW from the specification document you provided, by the four traction motors you would have on two powered bogies. Not complex arithmetic :P
The point I was making was, that's massive - I thought most EMU/DEMU traction motors to my knowledge are usually 200-300 at most.
I think that's Stadler's standard traction bogie package, 2x 500kW motors. Point I'm making is they have made use of engines which accurately match the needs of those motors, which means for a bi-mode they will perform similarly on diesel as on electric. Unlike some others where the diesels, although very fine units in their own right, don't have enough horsepower to match the motors and performance suffers as a consequence.

samuelmorris

Established Member
But there's only one engine per pair of traction motors, surely? The 4-car units will have two (no idea if any additional powered bogies for electric mode), but the 3-car units just have the one, so that'd be half the power rating.

gingertom

Established Member
But there's only one engine per pair of traction motors, surely? The 4-car units will have two (no idea if any additional powered bogies for electric mode), but the 3-car units just have the one, so that'd be half the power rating.
the 3-car sets have 2 engines in the pod to drive 4 motors (2 out of 4?) so is a little more sluggish on diesel. The 4-car sets have 4 engines in the pod so performance should be the same on diesel as electric. i just hope the fuel tanks are big enough.

bahnause

SBB FLIRTs are rated 2000kW continuous and 2600kW max (500kW / 650kW per motor). That seems to be the standard for most operators.

Z_V_Diagramm.jpeg

hooverboy

On Moderation
I think that's Stadler's standard traction bogie package, 2x 500kW motors. Point I'm making is they have made use of engines which accurately match the needs of those motors, which means for a bi-mode they will perform similarly on diesel as on electric. Unlike some others where the diesels, although very fine units in their own right, don't have enough horsepower to match the motors and performance suffers as a consequence.
that's still a pretty chunky improvement.

a turbo or 158 is about 2*300kW per set.
even assuming a 3 car set of 2*500KW than the quoted figure of 1.7m^s2( lets say 0.9m-1.2m^s2 in service), is not at all unrealistic.
pretty impressive.
I think in terms of drag ,it's probably a bit sleeker and easier on the juice as well

we just need to know what the fuel consumption per person/km figures will be now.Can it give that type of performance on a rural branch line and use half the fuel of a present sprinter (lets say 150/156)at the same time?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Trying to match electric performance with a diesel tends to have a big penalty in fuel consumption, as the engine is sized for accleration but is running at constant speed most of the time, which needs less power so the engine is operating inefficiently. And of course emissions line up (to varying extents) with consumption. The multiple engines may help with that, by shutting some down when cruising so the rest can be run at an efficient power setting.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trying to match electric performance with a diesel tends to have a big penalty in fuel consumption, as the engine is sized for accleration but is running at constant speed most of the time, which needs less power so the engine is operating inefficiently. And of course emissions line up (to varying extents) with consumption. The multiple engines may help with that, by shutting some down when cruising so the rest can be run at an efficient power setting.

Battery hybrids would be a way to deal with this issue - use regen and run the engines slightly higher than idle when stationary to charge up, then use battery power to boost acceleration. It works well with the Toyota Prius. I believe Vivarail was looking at this at one point, too?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Battery hybrids would be a way to deal with this issue - use regen and run the engines slightly higher than idle when stationary to charge up, then use battery power to boost acceleration. It works well with the Toyota Prius. I believe Vivarail was looking at this at one point, too?
A variation would be to keep the engines idling or even shut down in stations to minimise pollution where people are exposed to it, and start the engine once out of the platform where maximum acceleration is needed. Guess it all depends on the duty cycle and the amount of battery and engine that are provided.

samuelmorris

Established Member
As I've just tweeted, that video's been taken on a phone camera by the sound of it, so the noise level will be hard to gauge as the frequency response of the video is all wrong. It's not going to be quiet, but compared to, for example, a 170? It really doesn't seem that bad. Consider how noisy the traction motors sound in that clip versus what most EMUs sound like. Also consider you aren't sitting over the top of it like on a regular DMU.

Domh245

Established Member
No such thing as a stupid question, but in short, probably not. They'll be a similar design, but I wouldn't expect them to be (for example) a 755/5, it'll be it's own subclass with subtle differences.

Indeed, doing a quick check shows that (at least one fleet of) the welsh flirts have 2 sets of doors on the leading vehicles, the anglia flirts have only set.

Railperf

Established Member
How fast is a Class 360 / Class 379 at reaching 100mph?
Class 360 does 0-60mph in around 45-50 seconds, 100mph in 2.5 minutes. I recorded an NSB Class 74 FLIRT achieving 100mph in around 1 min 45 secs and 125mph in little over 3 mins. Combination of high power / low weight and lower rolling resistance. The Class 360's are on old train now. Class 700 Desiros are much closer to FLIRT for acceleration.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do we know yet if they'll be able to get from Cambridge station to Coldham's Lane with the diesel off? It would certainly be prefferable

dk1

Veteran Member
Do we know yet if they'll be able to get from Cambridge station to Coldham's Lane with the diesel off? It would certainly be prefferable

If you believe the latest staff briefs then yes, however the diesel engines take some time from cold to restart without causing damage. We will have to wait formor information/advice.

On Moderation
If you believe the latest staff briefs then yes, however the diesel engines take some time from cold to restart without causing damage. We will have to wait formor information/advice.
Presumably, though, when under the wires the diesels will be pre-heated so they are ready to go.

Tam

Some photos from Velim today. Unfortunately there was no movement and (of course) the sun was in the wrong place.
P1560113.JPG P1560126.JPG P1560130.JPG P1560132.JPG P1560135.JPG P1560140.JPG P1560147.JPG