• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
What are the plans for the current Greater Anglia DMUs (apart from the 153s to Scotrail)?
I thought the x5 Scotrail 153s where already allocated from elsewhere. The 156s future home has not yet been specified either. The only confirmed fleet are the the 12 170s which all move to TfW next year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
well, if they have already used it, and come up with what we have currently, it will prove interesting ! lol
I imagine there will be quite a bit of testing, measuring and tweaking to get the FLIRT to platform interface sorted out. But for a transit run the extendable ramps won't be used, so it's just a question of confirming the gauge like any other train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has it been explained why the FLIRTs are narrower than the 170s and 90s?

They're not particularly narrow - 2.72m, with the power pack being 2.815m. The Class 170 is actually narrower at 2.69m, and classes 444 and 185 narrower still (2.68 if I recall correctly, the Wiki article doesn't say). For comparison a Class 156 is only 1cm wider and a Class 158 2cm narrower.

I think they do look very narrow, which is probably a combination of the shape of the cab end (which tapers in to avoid clouting platforms) and the fact that the "body" (I know it's a monocoque) is lower-floor and so taller.

LAX54

Established Member
I imagine there will be quite a bit of testing, measuring and tweaking to get the FLIRT to platform interface sorted out. But for a transit run the extendable ramps won't be used, so it's just a question of confirming the gauge like any other train.
currently a list as long as your arm where they are barred, but of course some, not all I am quessing, will be resolved,

On Moderation
What's in the big section with no windows? On photos of full length units I've seen, there's the same no windows section on the other half unit.
Traction equipment. The 12-car IC and Stansted sets have motor bogies at the outer ends of cars 1, 6, 7 and 12. So the full wheel arrangement is:
Bo-2-2 + 2-2-2 + 2-2-Bo + Bo-2-2 + 2-2-2 + 2-2-Bo

trebor79

Established Member
Thanks.
Read elsewhere that the toilets are in the middle of the saloons rather than at the vehicle ends. Is it right there's only 4 toilets?
These are going to be very different trains to what we are used to!

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks.
Read elsewhere that the toilets are in the middle of the saloons rather than at the vehicle ends. Is it right there's only 4 toilets?
These are going to be very different trains to what we are used to!
Thought it was seven on a 12-car 745/0.

trebor79

Established Member
Ah, not right there's only 4 then!
Quite looking forward to trying these out, although I suspect I'll miss the trusty Mk3. I miss the Mk2s, nicest coaches I ever travelled in, light, airy and quiet (except when braking!).

I'm a bit odd, I like old school stuff. Should have been born in the 50s!

dk1

Veteran Member
Whoops!! Looks like it's slightly worse than the current LHCS situation on WC facilities. A mere 5 on both 745 varients & 2 on the 755 in both 3 & 4 car units.

Rick1984

the Mkiii feel positively boxy inside but is it because they are narrow but square, like a Desiro, rather than tapered but wider than other stock?

I get what you're saying BUT it makes no sense to me when ordering a whole new fleet from scratch. Surely any local oddities are baked into the bid process?
I doubt TfL would be able to fix issues if new trains on the deep tube overhung a little more than expected at the end of the units.

It makes no sense to be me that new fleets get ordered with inherent shortcomings unless there's a programme of works to make the infrastructure fit the new fleet to overcome said shortcomings.

But I'm just a layman.

We're going off topic, but didn't something like this actually happen on the Piccadilly Line when the current trains were introduced?

Wasn't some "shaving" of tunnels needed at some locations?

lewisf

We're going off topic, but didn't something like this actually happen on the Piccadilly Line when the current trains were introduced?

Wasn't some "shaving" of tunnels needed at some locations?

The Croydon Tramlink platforms were shaved by a few cm when the Stadler Variobahn trams where introduced a few years ago

Was an interior layout in Modern Railways a few months ago but can't remember now. I know the original shew none at all in first class but do recall something about remedial plans for this.
Most recent plans I've seen show the 5 spread well between the 12 coaches so one every two or three, including one in first class, bearing in mind the coaches are shorter in length than the current ones, it hopefully won't be too bad.

dk1

Veteran Member
Most recent plans I've seen show the 5 spread well between the 12 coaches so one every two or three, including one in first class, bearing in mind the coaches are shorter in length than the current ones, it hopefully won't be too bad.
I think we've been spoiled for many years. It's only since the mk3 GA refurb in 2014/5 that we've halved the number on a IC set with nothing from coach G to J.

Does anybody know if there is another delivery on Thursday? :)

Don't think so, the arrival last week is the testing unit so I don't think deliveries will start properly for a good few weeks yet. Besides there's nowhere to put them!!