• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

delticdave

No that's all wibble. Both locos provide traction power.
Class 37s were used for decades on hauled stock without needing an extra loco on idle just for ETH.

Wibble now, but not wibble back in the day....

Back in August '17 I had a ride from Norwich to L/stoft & return, both 37's running but only the lead loco providing traction power.
The set was formed of 3 x Mk. 2 A/Con in BR Blue & Grey, & possibly not yet fitted with 37 compliant MU cables.

Q? I've got the day off tomorrow (Tues. July 23rd) iare the 37's running, if so which trains? I'll probably be in Narg by 1130 -1200 & leaving about 1900.

TIA for any advice, DC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member

Back in August '17 I had a ride from Norwich to L/stoft & return, both 37's running but only the lead loco providing traction power.
The set was formed of 3 x Mk. 2 A/Con in BR Blue & Grey, & possibly not yet fitted with 37 compliant MU cables.

Q? I've got the day off tomorrow (Tues. July 23rd) iare the 37's running, if so which trains? I'll probably be in Narg by 1130 -1200 & leaving about 1900.

TIA for any advice, DC.
Last time I took a return trip from Norwich to Great Yarmouth aboard the short set, the rear locomotive was almost certainly running at full power. But there does seem to be a few moments delay between the front locomotive starting to rev up and the rear locomotive following suit.
But getting back to the 755's, are we still looking at Wednesday for introduction?

dk1

Veteran Member

TIA for any advice, DC.
Yes they are booked to run tomorrow. They where not always through wired like now & therefore both power up giving the enuthiasts a treat and those drivers that like to play, a damn good thrashing.

Railperf

Established Member
Yes they are booked to run tomorrow. They where not always through wired like now & therefore both power up giving the enuthiasts a treat and those drivers that like to play, a damn good thrashing.
Shame i.never got to record the 2 coach set. Reckon it must crack 60 in less than a minute :lol:

delticdave

Thanks. I was last up there a few months ago & the driver seemed to enjoy himself, 0-60 in 61 seconds east-bound from Acle.....

HLE

Established Member
Lease end is 31st October. Full stop. If the new trains aren't in by then, tough. Think Overground 172s. I can 100% say there is no wiggle room.

The 172 lease was extended several times with agreement with WMT

Carlgoss

So Stadlers on duty Norwich to Great Yarmouth Wednesday?..Whatever it’s sad to see the 37 short set ‘broken’ in the Norwich sidings tonight.. couldn’t even identify the 37 and one remaining MK2 as we tore past on the 17.00 NIN. Photos being taken by folk on the platform though.. so hopefully a record of this sad day.. brought back memories of 4 years ago.Turns out they were just removing one carriage..Back in service Wednesday!

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
Yeah me too. Think they are aiming to try again Monday.
I think trying to rescue the 360 at Colchester and the 379 near Bethnal with the 'emer' coupling, has given food for thought

LAX54

Established Member
Yes I hear it was all jolly good fun :lol:

I was on at Colchester for the East Gates 'issue' :)

We had a call from Romford Electrical Control about a tripping, but failed to reset, ECRO asked if we could get the 2 trains to lower the pans, upon talking to the Driver of the train out of Colchester Town, advised his pan was already down, and also half way down the side of his train :)

Aictos

Established Member
Well, it's not going to get any better as the Stadler and Bombardier kit do not have compatible Dellners. That's another train spec faux pas.

Is that not the fault of the manufacturers?

Surely there should be universal standards so a Dellner coupling can couple to another instead and NOT having them at different heights!

captainbigun

Is that not the fault of the manufacturers?

Surely there should be universal standards so a Dellner coupling can couple to another instead and NOT having them at different heights!

They have physically different couplers.

Absolutely that could and should have been harmonised through specification.

TheEdge

Established Member
So there are plans to run the FLIRTs on Monday? What services will these be?

When the first unit comes out it will follow the NC37 Class 37 Short Set diagram. So look for that in the Frequently Requested Diagram thread and you'll know.

Aictos

Established Member
They have physically different couplers.

Absolutely that could and should have been harmonised through specification.

Indeed and this is a major failing by all train designers by not making them compatible with existing fleets or with new but different fleets.

On Moderation
Indeed and this is a major failing by all train designers by not making them compatible with existing fleets or with new but different fleets.
It's arguably a bigger failing on the part of the RSSB in not mandating a standard multiple system, coupler heights etc. in the way that the AAR has in the US.

Companies competing with each other won't make their proprietary interfaces available to their competitors unless they have to.

hwl

Established Member
It's arguably a bigger failing on the part of the RSSB in not mandating a standard multiple system, coupler heights etc. in the way that the AAR has in the US.

Companies competing with each other won't make their proprietary interfaces available to their competitors unless they have to.
Most other non high speed manufacturers (Bombardier Siemens Hitachi and retrofitted Alstom 458 have harmonised the dellner couplers physically shame Stadler didn't read the RSSB coupling standards document...