• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The PIS is clear, but seems pretty unadventorus, they are actual sreens right rather than LEDs? You'd think they could use a bit of colour in them? Do they do anything but white text on black background.

I know the Thameslink PIS isn't perfect reliability wise, but at least it makes use of the big screen far better.

The trolley is a publicity stunt I assume?

MisterT

Around 0:35-0:40 in the previously mentioned video you can see the use of colour on the PIS, with the loading indicator.

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
The PIS is clear, but seems pretty unadventorus, they are actual sreens right rather than LEDs? You'd think they could use a bit of colour in them? Do they do anything but white text on black background.

I know the Thameslink PIS isn't perfect reliability wise, but at least it makes use of the big screen far better.

Dunno what more you need on it? Not sure the Tube Status would be all that useful on a Local Service to Norwich.

jj1314

I'm not convinced anyone really needs a sense of 'adventure' in their PIS, but clear and readable screens are a must. White on black is a leading contender for most-readable combination in my experience (working outdoors with various instruments with integrated LED panels).

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I was just hopign that they'd add loading information on them and suchlike, that would be more useful on the Stansted and Intericty services than the locals I admit, because the stansted units currently suffer from massively unbalanced loads where the part of the train nearest the terminal is heaving and like sardines whilst the other end you can get carriages to yourself..

TheEdge

Established Member
I was just hopign that they'd add loading information on them and suchlike, that would be more useful on the Stansted and Intericty services than the locals I admit, because the stansted units currently suffer from massively unbalanced loads where the part of the train nearest the terminal is heaving and like sardines whilst the other end you can get carriages to yourself..

The PIS screens on the units, and the new PIS screens in the stations both show loading information

MrPIC

Am disappointed it's the same PIS lady as currently, was hoping they'd use the TFL lady

Wivenswold

Established Member
From one video;
It looks superb inside, look at all those empty seats!
The cabin sounds very quiet.
Seats look comfy.
Nice big windows.

Just felt we needed some positive comment instead of the usual hole-picking.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh it's not a criticism at all! Remarkable trains

They very much look as good as the Euro-FLIRTs if a bit smaller, and the seats are "known good" - same ones as new SWR First Class, of which I had a quick try and reckoned they might beat the venerable Grammer IC3000.

I'll have a ride at some point, but due to a lack of free weekends I will probably hang fire until they're on the ICs too then go for a day bimbling round the area.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
From one video;
Seats look comfy.
Nice big windows.

From what I have seen they look excvellent, however I never really did have any concerns that they would be anything else, my worries were never about the rural bi-modes and more about the stock that Greater Anglia is procuring for other routes.

These are a step change for the local lines and long overdue, providing extra capacity and a more modern train environment for those of us who have had to suffer 153s and other trains too short for the work they often end up on. Should also result in less short forms and even if they are short, becoming less of an issue.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Amazing, a big milestone, the first in service. Hopefully now the rollout continues steadily until the end of the year, hopefully one IC or StanEx diagram becomes a 745 in not too long. They look roomy, but my concern was never with Stadler, I knew we were in good hands, its more the Aventras I'm waiting to try. I'm expecting a cattle truck calamity.

From one video;
Seats look comfy.
Nice big windows.

Yes, they look fantastic. My only prior concern was the width of the 'engine room' walkway but from the video it looked perfectly adequate. From what I've seen so far these look like a massive step up from what's gone before... can't wait to travel over and have a go sometime.

Montel Osman

Does anyone know which services these will be on tonight after 1800 from Norwich? Would like to try them out after work.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes, they look fantastic. My only prior concern was the width of the 'engine room' walkway but from the video it looked perfectly adequate. From what I've seen so far these look like a massive step up from what's gone before... can't wait to travel over and have a go sometime.
The walkway looks no narrower, and not much longer, than the inter-unit gangway on the Class 458/5, when they're actually in use.

mde

Am disappointed it's the same PIS lady as currently, was hoping they'd use the TFL lady
That's Julie Berry - her recordings are perhaps a bit more 'friendly, yet authoritative than the rather brusque TfL types.

The train itself looks superb though, a real step change - and, perhaps on that note... a complete removal of the step at many stations :D

samuelmorris

Established Member
That door alarm is as annoying as the class 345's.
Enforced by regulations, all new trains must adhere to this standard (two separate alternating pitches of around 2200/1750Hz, spanning 3 seconds if the door is opened, 5 if it isn't - yes it's that specific!)

Julie Berry is fine for the DVA, a little bit pretentious-sounding and omnipresent perhaps but clear and professional.
They look as good in service as they have promised to be - I'll wait for a few more of them to be about then I think a trip may be in order :)

rdlover777

seeing these finally in service puts a smile on my face, lets hope other companies follow suit and order Stadler FLIRTs, looking at you Southeastern