• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Bornin1980s

If they're that loud on electricity what on earth are they like on diesel? At least the interior looks better than I feared, but I notice poor legroom in the window seats from the seat design and mediocre seat to window layout despite the narrow windows. The corridor through the power car looks awful I'm afraid. Why is it so narrow, and why does it need to be through the middle rather than along one side which would allow there to be windows?
I would suspect much of the noise from a train at speed is rail noise. That said, some modern electrics, like the new Eurostars, seem to be alarmingly loud, louder than most diesels. The power car corridor looks very narrow. I would imagine most passengers won't use it. It might be a consequence of using v engines rather than straight engines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
The power car corridor looks very narrow. I would imagine most passengers won't use it.

Here in the Netherlands, we have similar units (the D-GTW, also built by Stadler). While our loading gauge is a bit wider than the one used in the UK, the difference isn't that big and the corridor on the GTW units isn't very roomy either. It is used though :)

samuelmorris

Established Member
I would suspect much of the noise from a train at speed is rail noise. That said, some modern electrics, like the new Eurostars, seem to be alarmingly loud, louder than most diesels. The power car corridor looks very narrow. I would imagine most passengers won't use it. It might be a consequence of using v engines rather than straight engines.
It's definitely traction motor noise as it only comes from the outer bogies.
I know what you mean about the 374s, but that's all from the traction control gear, the motors themselves aren't very noisy at all, and at speed, they're far quieter than the trains they replaced. In this case the traction control gear noise seems fairly average, better than 800s, but noisier than Aventras.

As for the corridor width I agree but I'm not sure it's any narrower than the inter-vehicle gangways you got before through-gangwayed stock started to appear. I'm sure people looking for a seat will still use it.

Tam

It's undergoing start/stop audio testing now with lineside and internal microphones.

Edit: in diesel mode.

Last edited:

Tam

Some videos from today, all of them in diesel mode...

https://streamable.com/gh9tj Idling in the siding before pulling onto the test track.

https://streamable.com/1khtw More idling in the siding with 'fans' kicking in.

https://streamable.com/z2a5t Idling, then pulling away from the siding to join the test track.

https://streamable.com/jaeny Nearing the end of the first lap, slowing down to stop.

https://streamable.com/st4gs Standing start on the test track.

I 'thought' I had two other videos of her manoeuvring from the siding to the test track, but much to my embarrassment, I have two videos of the ground as I walk along a path, having not pushed the record button fully :)

Last edited:

Tam

These videos are of the acoustic testing, some stationary, some at slow speed, some from standing start. There is some 'sameyness', but I thought it best to load them all and let folk see them anyway. Note the lineside microphones on stands and the traffic cones by the track, plus pink and blue spray-paint on the ballast, all of which were used to consistently align the train with the microphones. One of the technicians told me that there were also 24 microphones onboard, including the passenger areas and driving cabs.

Near the end of one of them, you can hear me receiving a text message on my phone (can't miss it :- ) )

https://streamable.com/rlmld

https://streamable.com/28ynj

https://streamable.com/hjweb

https://streamable.com/a1n4e

https://streamable.com/srl11

https://streamable.com/j7snt

trebor79

Established Member
Almost sounds like a pocket sized HST! :)

Snap, I was going to sat the exact same thing! Can't beat a bit of good turbocharger whistle!
The blowers (I guess for the traction motors) also sound vaguely reminiscent of a class 91when they first start up.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive coverage, Tam! The full speed 'blower' noise is quite alarming, but the rest of it all seems quite reasonable. Good acceleration on diesel mode by the looks of it.

dp21

The corridor through the power car looks awful I'm afraid. Why is it so narrow, and why does it need to be through the middle rather than along one side which would allow there to be windows?

Narrow because of the UK loading gauge and needing to have the engines either side. The reason for not having them both crammed into one side is imagine the back one fails. You'd then have to take the engine in front out or lift it out of the roof somehow.

It makes much more sense in maintainability terms. You can lift the engine rafts right out with a forklift.

Bornin1980s

I'd to try one of the bi-modes our when it enters service. Can anyone recommend any destinations?

fgwrich

Established Member
Thanks for those videos Tam. It's almost like a little Britain over at Velim from your videos, what with two sets of the new Greater Anglia Stadlers, the new Northern units and the new TPE stock from CAF all being there at once!

trebor79

Established Member
The power car corridor doesn't look any narrower than the gangway connection between a couple of 158s, for example.

MikePJ

I'd to try one of the bi-modes our when it enters service. Can anyone recommend any destinations?
Well, once everything's in service, perhaps the most interesting itinerary for stock-bashing would be an all-Stadler tour London-Stansted-Norwich-London. London-Stansted Airport on a 745/1, change to a bi-mode 755 at Stansted, running on electric to Ely, then on diesel to Norwich, then back to London on a 745/0.

But for a shorter outing, perhaps Felixstowe? The old town seafront is very agreeable, there are nice walks along the North Sea coast, and then you can go round to the estuary side and see the massive container terminal and freight yards.

Bornin1980s

Thanks. How near will any of these pass to Peterborough? Since I live in the north east near the ECML, Peterborough often comes up as a changing point for Anglian destinations.

Alfie1014

Thanks. How near will any of these pass to Peterborough? Since I live in the north east near the ECML, Peterborough often comes up as a changing point for Anglian destinations.
They will work the service to Ipswich, which at some point is due to become hourly and extend most of the day to Colchester.

MikePJ

Narrows it down. Any recommendations on the line through Peterborough?
Ely? It's quaint, has a nice riverside and an amazing cathedral. And the station is a big junction with lots of traffic. It's 40 mins from Peterborough. Also, the bi-modes will change over to electric here.

Established Member
Loads of nice towns in East Anglia. Yes Ely is a favourite, but none of the other suggestions are bad, and Norwich is a fine city. The Nutshell in Bury indeed is tiny, so don’t tell anyone about it.

Felixstowe and the ferry to Harwich for a circular tour via Manningtree, the list is endless. I’m sure we’ll all get bored of these units once the novelty has worn off though.

Railperf

Established Member
The FLIRTS in Norway are comfortable enough for a 90 minute to 2 hour journey and beyond. I travelled once in standard class and another time in the 'Comfort' section. For 100 NOK (approx £10) extra - regardless of journey length, you get slightly more comfy seats, guaranteed tables, free hot drinks and newspapers. Well worth the extra. Problem in this country is we only offer standard cattle class or ultra luxury first class with nothing in between. Most off-peak trains have empty first class, and the upgrade to first is not worth the extortionate price per person. It isn't just about seat pitch and cushion softness and depth! It seems the UK railways are missing a trick here.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wouldn't call UK First Class "ultra luxury".

Doubt I would bother; seat width is my main reason for bothering, particularly the option to have a seat that is both window and aisle.

The solution to empty First Class off peak is a reasonable First Class Off Peak walk-up fare, at approximately 160% of the relevant Standard fare. Some TOCs do have First Class Off Peak but it is still too expensive.

Railperf

Established Member
In my case - i wanted a window seat and table - standard class is more airline style seating and full of students etc, while Comfort had a selection of seats. You just take a seat and pay the upgrade to the train manager on the day.

RLBH

Perhaps not ultra-luxury - but including provision of hot food and alcoholic drinks with the fare will tend to make it much more expensive than it ought to be on the merits of accommodation alone!

Railperf

Established Member
Having also travelled in Italy - there does seem to be a market for a level of service - above standard class - but lower than first class!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
All a little irrelevant, given that of the two classes and four subclasses, only the Norwich IC units will have any 1st class and the rural ones, which seem to be closest to being introduced, are all Standard Class.

Grumbler

Doubt I would bother; seat width is my main reason for bothering, particularly the option to have a seat that is both window and aisle.

The solution to empty First Class off peak is a reasonable First Class Off Peak walk-up fare, at approximately 160% of the relevant Standard fare. Some TOCs do have First Class Off Peak but it is still too expensive.
Years ago it was possible to travel off-peak in first class for a small fee - say £10. I think that should be reintroduced.