• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delticdave

Still not permitted to use AC mode in passenger service.

Talk of another two DMU diagrams converting to 755s next week.

Any thoughts / info re 755 operated services on Thursday &/or Friday this week?

TIA for any info, Dc.

evergreenadam

Do the 755s provide enhanced capacity into Cambridge during the morning peak? How does the seating capacity of a three car unit compare with existing three car units?

bspahh

Established Member
Do the 755s provide enhanced capacity into Cambridge during the morning peak? How does the seating capacity of a three car unit compare with existing three car units?

The Norwich-Cambridge trains use a 4 car 755 which has 202 full size seats and 27 flip up seats (https://anonw.com/2019/08/06/my-first-rides-in-a-class-755-train/ ).

The Norwich-Cambridge trains usually use a 3 car 170 has 180 seats (Page 133 of https://assets.publishing.service.g.../interim-franchise-agreement-direct-award.pdf ).

A 3 car 755 has 144 normal seats and 23 flip up ones (167 in total). A 2 car 170 has 110 seats.

Last edited:

delticdave

The best bets from Norwich would be...

Cambridge 09:40 15:40 18:40
Lowestoft 14:05 19:02
Yarmouth 10:36 12:36 17:36

Dank u wel, Mijnheer. I'll set the alarm tonight for an early start tomorrow.
(Car to Sandon P&R, bus to C/ford, train to Naarg, round trip to /from Sheringham, 14:05 L/stoft, 15:40 Cambridge, 19:00 to C'ford, then bus & car.........)

Things I do for a hobby......

Cheers, DC.

dk1

Veteran Member
Dank u wel, Mijnheer. I'll set the alarm tonight for an early start tomorrow.
(Car to Sandon P&R, bus to C/ford, train to Naarg, round trip to /from Sheringham, 14:05 L/stoft, 15:40 Cambridge, 19:00 to C'ford, then bus & car.........)

Things I do for a hobby......

Cheers, DC.
Haha, you just need to tick a few Wetherspoons along the way & you'll be as mad as I am.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Saw a 755 on the 1710 departure from Cambridge on Tuesday evening; full and standing all the way through...in spite of being right behind two previous departures towards Ely (1701 XC and 1706 GN).

The capacity of these units is going to get eaten up very quickly, I suspect.

Established Member
The Ely - Cambridge commute has grown out of all proportion in recent years. Meanwhile the timetable has evolved piecemeal with different companies doing the best with whatever rolling stock they have to hand at peak times, bearing in mind all the constraints they have to work to elsewhere on the network.

Yes it's easy to think a 4 car 755 must provide greater capacity, but as the figures show it is not as great as may be imagined. Nevertheless is a welcome step in the right direction, and eventually a 720 between Ely and Cambridge will help too.

arb

The Ely - Cambridge commute has grown out of all proportion in recent years. Meanwhile the timetable has evolved piecemeal with different companies doing the best with whatever rolling stock they have to hand at peak times, bearing in mind all the constraints they have to work to elsewhere on the network.

Yes it's easy to think a 4 car 755 must provide greater capacity, but as the figures show it is not as great as may be imagined. Nevertheless is a welcome step in the right direction, and eventually a 720 between Ely and Cambridge will help too.

*If* the provisional December timetables in RealTimeTrains are correct, we are losing the 18:22 Greater Anglia shuttle from Cambridge to Ely, so any extra capacity on the 755's in that hour specifically will very likely already be taken from day 1.

That said, there's going to be a lot of passenger load re-balancing between the various different Cambridge-Ely services anyway in December, because RTT says that some of the evening peak services to Norwich will start to call at Waterbeach, which will spread the load between Great Northern and Greater Anglia. Also if they start from Stansted rather than Cambridge, there'll be a similar re-balancing with CrossCountry. It feels like Greater Anglia could be gaining a *lot* of passengers from other TOCs between Cambridge and Ely just as a result of the new timetable, before you even factor in those who want to switch to the shiny new train!

eastdyke

Established Member
It feels like Greater Anglia could be gaining a *lot* of passengers from other TOCs between Cambridge and Ely just as a result of the new timetable, before you even factor in those who want to switch to the shiny new train!
They already have, by way of the GA only fares!
eg GA anytime day return is £5.10 vice £7.30
GA annual season is £1020 vice £1292. ..........

It's about the money!

rdlover777

Saw a 755 on the 1710 departure from Cambridge on Tuesday evening; full and standing all the way through...in spite of being right behind two previous departures towards Ely (1701 XC and 1706 GN).

I hope they run the 755s in doubles then during peak time

ashkeba

Established Member
Not possible due to platform lengths across the Brecks.
Is there no Selective Door Opening possibility due to platforms on the trailing edges of level crossings at Shippea Hill, Lakenheath, Harling Road, Eccles Road and Attleborough, like at Waterbeach?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is there no Selective Door Opening possibility due to platforms on the trailing edges of level crossings at Shippea Hill, Lakenheath, Harling Road, Eccles Road and Attleborough, like at Waterbeach?
You would have an entire unit off the platform, which is a big no.

bspahh

Established Member
They already have, by way of the GA only fares!
eg GA anytime day return is £5.10 vice £7.30
GA annual season is £1020 vice £1292. ..........

It's about the money!

An normal Off Peak day return is £4.60 between Ely and Cambridge. It is valid from 8.45. If you can wait until the 9.38, a Greater Anglia Off Peak day return to Cambridge is £2.50. On the 10.38 I can use a Club 50 railcard and its £2.00!

Established Member
You would have an entire unit off the platform, which is a big no.

And why would you drag a unit all that way (and back) when the high demand is for a relatively short part of the overall journey? Better to run a unit just between Ely and Cambridge and get more trips out of it if possible.

hooverboy

On Moderation

you have to remember that norwich to camidge is the 3 car set if you are lucky. if not it'll be a 2 car 156/170.

the 755/4 flirt still works out as a 25% increase(50 seats) which I agree,is very much needed on that line.
Also there are adequate 755/4's to make the 4 car set a permanent fixture here,which was not the case with the turbostars and sprinters.

755/3 will be adequate on the wherry and bittern lines once the holiday season is over, which would give an extra couple of carriages/4 car sets on norwich-cambridge if needed.

hooverboy

On Moderation

may well do.
if it turns out to be mega popular the going to a 30 min service rather than hourly wouldn't go amiss, in which case you could probably work it with 755/3's.
the present hourly norwich-cambridge is usually pretty loaded anyway with the current 3 car set,2 car is definitely standing room only.

hopefully GA have an option to order a couple more should the need arise.I would guess they would like a year or so to see how the new schedule beds in before making that kind of investment..after all it's already very substantial upgrade for the branch lines.

abellio as a group might think on this one!..I've just taken a look at EMR regional future rolling stock and it looks like 37 (28*17x+ 9*156)sets ,versus 61 presently.looks a bit on the light side if you ask me...about 10-15 sets short by the look of it.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Let's hope the two extra Stadlers do become available. We lose 170207 & 170270 to Wales from this weekend. De-branding already done.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Let's hope the two extra Stadlers do become available. We lose 170207 & 170270 to Wales from this weekend. De-branding already done.
there's plenty sitting in the sidings at norwich and wymondham,you won't be short of stock that's for sure.

As for driver/guard training,I would be chomping at the bit to have a play with these new toys!they're fantastic!

trebor79

Established Member
you have to remember that norwich to camidge is the 3 car set if you are lucky. if not it'll be a 2 car 156/170.

the 755/4 flirt still works out as a 25% increase(50 seats) which I agree,is very much needed on that line.

Breckland line is (or was) almost always a 3 car 170. Only seems to be a 2 car 170 or 15x if something has gone wrong.