• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Abbo

Blimey, how on earth did I spell more???

Yes sounds about right. Thankfully we leave all that sort of crap to the ROG boys & girls. A couple have been brought across from Crown Point together. The drivers concerned pleaded ignorance. Saved them walking back out in the rain though ;)
Interesting. How does the early morning ECS get to Sheringham and Cromer ; two paths ?

LAX54

Established Member
Interesting. How does the early morning ECS get to Sheringham and Cromer ; two paths ?

==> All sectors; WTT times; Page 1 of 1
Trains at WHITLNGHM for HOV+WRXHM
All trains from 04:00 to 08:00 on 03/01/20
Lc Arr Dep Wttid Origin Unit Allocations
PASS 05:00 5S01 NCH CRNPT 04:10 755404
PASS 05:13 2S04 NORWICH 05:10 156407
PASS 05:43 2S06 NORWICH 05:40 755327
PASS 06:12 6P40 PARKSTNQY 03:34 No unit info available for this train
PASS 07:18 2S08 NORWICH 07:15 755419

WTT to the Cromer Line Friday 3rd Jan

WroxhamTroll

2 paths one of which goes from crown point empty, sadly they seem to be late every day to form the 6.23 from HXM to NRW. Comes to something when the first empty train if the day is routinely late.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's reliability has left lots to be desired lately. Either legacy units or send the second one behind & start the 05:53 from Cromer at Walsham.

dk1

Veteran Member
2 paths one of which goes from crown point empty, sadly they seem to be late every day to form the 6.23 from HXM to NRW. Comes to something when the first empty train if the day is routinely late.
Unless you have a spare/standby driver & guard to run earlier it's not really possible. Guards sign on 04:50 & drivers at 04:54/05:00 for that job.

To add to the above yes it has been changed. Trains run seperatley & crew sign on earlier. Stock for the 05:53 goes ECS to Cromer as 5S01 at 04:56.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
It would appear the NiN services are diagrammed for 2 x 755/4 rather than a 745. Does anyone know why ? Are 2x755 more powerful/faster than a 745?
I thought it was to do with 755s being accepted into service first. It does make sense the 755s or 745 being allocated to a stopping IC service where its superior acceleration would help make up time when running late. The loco hauled sets cope with the Nin90 perfectly fine.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Just because it uses Linux does not mean the interface for managing it is any good. It could be, if someone takes the effort to understand how it is used and what the interface requires (called Usability design or UX for short) but that is not always done well.

Certainly Linux, one has just spat out a whole load of linux terminal messages on the screen saying to log bug reports to http://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/issues/ among other things. Lots of small white text on black background.

Roast Veg

Established Member
They're running it on weston!? That's a reference Wayland implementation, not a stable window manager!

LAX54

Established Member
I thought it was to do with 755s being accepted into service first. It does make sense the 755s or 745 being allocated to a stopping IC service where its superior acceleration would help make up time when running late. The loco hauled sets cope with the Nin90 perfectly fine.

Apart from a smart pull away from station stops, which will help a little, the 745s will not be any faster, than a 90 / DVT overall well maybe 4 or 5 mins max.

Class 170101

Established Member
Apart from a smart pull away from station stops, which will help a little, the 745s will not be any faster, than a 90 / DVT overall well maybe 4 or 5 mins max.

Hopefully dwells will be smarter with slide vice slam doors.

Railperf

Established Member
A 755 in electric mode will easily gain almost a minute over a Class 90 hauled service on every station stop requiring acceleration from.rest to 90 or 100mph. We shall see in due course what the 745s are capable of doing..but i do not expect them to be significantly slower. With a 7 stop diagram - Stratford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket and Diss..you could easily improve the schedule by at least 1 min per stop - subject to pathing among other services. Once the whole fleet is solely in the hands of 720/745/755's a major timetable improvement could take place.

Railperf

Established Member
Just sampled a 755/3 in diesel mode. Much quicker off the line than a Class 170!!! 0 to 60mph in less than 70 seconds! Still quicker than even a Class 802 bi-mode. Who would have thought that Anglia secondary regional services would have quicker bi-modes in diesel mode than GWR mainline!!

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just sampled a 755/3 in diesel mode. Much quicker off the line than a Class 170!!! 0 to 60mph in less than 70 seconds! Still quicker than even a Class 802 bi-mode. Who would have thought that Anglia secondary regional services would have quicker bi-modes than GWR mainline!!

Quicker than an 802 on electric?

Railperf

Established Member
Mind you..i would be interested to see how the 755/3 fares in electric or diesel mode to 100mph!
Just sampled a 755/3 in diesel mode. Much quicker off the line than a Class 170!!! 0 to 60mph in less than 70 seconds! Still quicker than
Quicker than an 802 on electric?
Quicker acceleration on electric to 100mph - yes for both 3 and 4 car. There is no doubt these could be engineered for 125mph too - if a TOC wanted it. But mainly I am talking about diesel mode here. I could not have dreamt that even the lower power to weight ratio 3 -car would accelerate to 60mph on diesel quicker than a class 802 in diesel mode!

Last edited:

From what I have seen on Twitter 755412 was on the 08:03 Ipswich - Peterborough.

stonojnr

Is it an actual interview? To me it read like having received a letter from GA replying to queries sent in advance.

yeah it reads like they submitted a bunch of questions to GAs PR dept and theyve just filled the answers in, whether thats considered actual investigative journalism thesedays Im not sure, but it seems par for the course for the local papers sadly so its not like they are only giving GA a free pass.

I mean as a comparison theres a story in among the Felixstowe line service was cancelled again, oh no wait its working again story today, about an increase in potholes reported, outside their Ipswich based Archant office is a road that literally looks like its been ploughed up, half the debris is scattered on the pavement, they can look at it out their windows, pop down and even take photos, yet theyve just taken the councils line as fact that well we've had a bad winter and the rain & flooding has caused the problems and everything is being fixed really quickly

Railperf

Established Member
OTT can't see the stock allocations can it? To my knowledge they aren't public, you can only see the timing load, which would show 755 regardless of what was actually used.
Pretty much all the timing loads are for 755, but at the moment a 170 or 156 is just as likely to turn up. Only Norwich to Cambridge seems to be guaranteed 755s at the moment. Plus the majority of Ipswich to Cambridge turns. Seems the 170 is also used on Ipswich Cambridge too at the moment, but probably cos the 156's cannot keep time!

Railperf

Established Member
It is gutting for me to see many 755s in the sidings and be on a conked out 156 leaving Cambridge. Is it due to lack of trained crew at Ipswich?
Yes...and lack of trained crew at Colchester. Spoke to a Liverpool St driver yesterday who says they have now started their Stadler training.

dk1

Veteran Member
It is gutting for me to see many 755s in the sidings and be on a conked out 156 leaving Cambridge. Is it due to lack of trained crew at Ipswich?
Those 755s at Cambridge where dumped there from new. Can't do much as need to be dragged to Norwich by ROG before mileage accumulation can start.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It is gutting for me to see many 755s in the sidings and be on a conked out 156 leaving Cambridge

It's even more gutting for stranded passengers without any train service at all to see many snobbish passengers on legacy rolling stock constantly moaning that the stock is not good enough for them.