• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Stood in for a 745 on the 0800 Norwich to London Ni90, you then caught the "normal speed" return journey.

Ironically, a 745 (being shorter length) would have a decent shout at a speed record given an (unlikely) clear run?

fat_boy_pete

745s are 12-cars.

It would have worked the 08:00 Ni90 East Anglian up beforehand.
I saw a pair of 755/4's in Colchester platform 6 on Sunday evening. Have they been passed for passenger service in multiple yet? If so, a pair would be a much better substitute for a missing 745.

dk1

Veteran Member
I saw a pair of 755/4's in Colchester platform 6 on Sunday evening. Have they been passed for passenger service in multiple yet? If so, a pair would be a much better substitute for a missing 745.
No, I think we are a while off that yet. They can run in multiple as ECS but only in diesel mode. Only time you’ll see them pan up together is when stabling or on the daily test runs.

fat_boy_pete

No, I think we are a while off that yet. They can run in multiple as ECS but only in diesel mode. Only time you’ll see them pan up together is when stabling or on the daily test runs.
Gosh, what on earth is stopping multiple on electric. Is there still a software issue or is it mechanical due to two pantographs?

dk1

Veteran Member
Gosh, what on earth is stopping multiple on electric. Is there still a software issue or is it mechanical due to two pantographs?
Mainly software from what I gather. 100mph running on test works fine with both pans up but will always be the furthest possible apart. Not sure if this prevents two 3-cars operating at all as that’s then not an option with them.

I must be missing the joke there!
Sorry, due to the acceleration. Shame it wasn’t a 755/3 but that wouldn’t help with loadings.

superalbs

Established Member
Mainly software from what I gather. 100mph running on test works fine with both pans up but will always be the furthest possible apart. Not sure if this prevents two 3-cars operating at all as that’s then not an option with them.

Sorry, due to the acceleration. Shame it wasn’t a 755/3 but that wouldn’t help with loadings.
Gotcha! Honestly it was pretty empty. I had two tables to myself in fact. Didn't pay attention to acceleration, was chatting with a friend.

dk1

Veteran Member
Gotcha! Honestly it was pretty empty. I had two tables to myself in fact. Didn't pay attention to acceleration, was chatting with a friend.
The 08:00 up was F&S from Norwich when formed by a 755 two weeks ago. Many decided to join the 08:03 instead for space, 1st class & catering.

superalbs

Established Member
The 08:00 up was F&S from Norwich when formed by a 755 two weeks ago. Many decided to join the 08:03 instead for space, 1st class & catering.
Wow, definitely not the case for me.

When I saw 4 car, I didn't know what to expect! Was thinking 321 at first...

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't forget the class 170 Norwich to Basingstoke!
That rarely warranted much more than a 153. To think catering was provided on most, some of which took less than £20 on a 10hr shift. There was a crazy idea hatched to get the guards to man the buffet counter too.

gaillark

That rarely warranted much more than a 153. To think catering was provided on most, some of which took less than £20 on a 10hr shift. There was a crazy idea hatched to get the guards to man the buffet counter too.
I remember that service. The timetable wasn't evenly spaced out.
Anyway I was caught up with at 755 at Liverpool Street and let it go. No first class or catering as quite rightly @dk1 points out. We need a few more 745 to be converted into mainline units with first class and cafe bar. It's annoying when paying a premium fare that the advertised service cannot be provided.

dk1

Veteran Member
I remember that service. The timetable wasn't evenly spaced out.
Anyway I was caught up with at 755 at Liverpool Street and let it go. No first class or catering as quite rightly @dk1 points out. We need a few more 745 to be converted into mainline units with first class and cafe bar. It's annoying when paying a premium fare that the advertised service cannot be provided.
First class conversion is a possibility but no more cafe bars.

The Basingstoke was not only unevenly spaced but sometimes only reached Stratford north of the river. It had to fit into the unit diagrams & priority was their use on mainline GEML services & those required for Hull Trains.

samuelmorris

Established Member
As someone that lives on the GEML and pre-pandemic used to regularly commute to near Woking, it's kind of a shame really. If that service still existed today operated by 755s I'd probably have used it over driving. But even though I don't mind the tube changes, the 40 minute bus journey at the Woking end pushes the journey over the edge of what's comfortably doable when the other three train journeys are considered.

Anyway, back on topic, is there not likely to be any long-term mainline work for the 755s if the through services to Lowestoft never happen? I was under the impression that even with those services going ahead there was a quite a substantial number of spare 755s lying around. Presumably without them there'd be needlessly many?

dk1

Veteran Member
Anyway, back on topic, is there not likely to be any long-term mainline work for the 755s if the through services to Lowestoft never happen? I was under the impression that even with those services going ahead there was a quite a substantial number of spare 755s lying around. Presumably without them there'd be needlessly many?
Not really that many spare. With the reduced timetable on the main line & 2/3 required for the test trains (SX) it’s sometimes been a struggle to provide enough for service. Don’t forget that they are planned to run in multiple (whenever it gets cleared) on some Norwich-London (was originally Ni90s) duties & also the planned hourly Peterborough- Ipswich. The small fuel tanks means several come out of traffic during the day to refuel too.