• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio launch "Multipass" smartphone ticketing on West Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
I'm not sure of the benefits of this over introducing Contactless cards similarly to TfL which does all the smart stuff?

At least with the Contactless card, it will work the gates & doesn't die!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattdickinson

I'm not sure of the benefits of this over introducing Contactless cards similarly to TfL which does all the smart stuff?

The back office part is very similar to TfL Contactless or Southern Keygo.

The advantage to the TOC is that they just have to install BLE beacons rather than gates or validators.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't get accepted for the trial (no wonder if they've only got 100) but I'd certainly not see a problem with using Bluetooth. Bluetooth 4 LE uses hardly any power at all and most modern devices support it.

ATG

I go to a ticket office and excess the ticket to what I need it to be, or if that isn't an option buy an additional one. I can also refund any walk-up paper ticket less £10 (I don't do Advances, and in any case Advances are irrelevant to this concept), and if I do it at the point of origin most likely they will "non-issue" it for no additional charge.

I don't think I have ever completely changed my plans while sitting on the train, so that's a non-issue.

No, that isn't why Oyster is popular. Oyster is primarily popular because TfL make punitive charges for paying by any other method (except contactless). Simple as that. Capping is nice, but travelling around London is nothing like making a longer return journey.

I had worked that out :)

TBH I think it's a gimmick with many serious flaws and I suspect your trial will not meet with success.

I will hate to disappoint you... :) But thank you for your encouragement anyway.

As for Oyster, you described the reasons for its uptake; I was referring to the reasons why an average user likes Oyster now (it's not even capping per se, but convenience and "peace of mind").

Re changing one's mind: it's not about doing so on the train, it's about buying a single ticket but having to return on the same day, or buing Day Return and staying for longer (just some of the scenarios).

I agree that there are use cases described by you, when the passenger prefers simplicity of buying a mobile ticket "on the go" before travelling. MultiPass will allow for that too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I didn't get accepted for the trial (no wonder if they've only got 100) but I'd certainly not see a problem with using Bluetooth. Bluetooth 4 LE uses hardly any power at all and most modern devices support it.

MultiPass pilot will soon be expanded, with Android limitation "lifted". I'll post an invite here.

Contactless cards only work on routes with gates. MultiPass covers both (via BLE and soon-to-be-introduced contactless interface, including TfL coverage).
aka "doing it on the cheap".

Guilty as charged: MultiPass does indeed allows to save millions of taxpayers money...
However, the passenger will end up paying more if, for example they travel offpeak from Liverpool Street to Cambridge on Monday and then return offpeak from Cambridge to Liverpool Street on Tuesday. (£21.00 x 2= £42 rather than £32.10)

http://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/f/8891/8891.pdf

No, the passenger will be charged £32.10 (£21 + £11.10).

mattdickinson

I will hate to disappoint you... :) But thank you for your encouragement anyway.

As for Oyster, you described the reasons for its uptake; I was referring to the reasons why an average user likes Oyster now (it's not even capping per se, but convenience and "peace of mind").

Re changing one's mind: it's not about doing so on the train, it's about buying a single ticket but having to return on the same day, or buing Day Return and staying for longer (just some of the scenarios).

I agree that there are use cases described by you, when the passenger prefers simplicity of buying a mobile ticket "on the go" before travelling. MultiPass will allow for that too.

MultiPass pilot will soon be expanded, with Android limitation "lifted". I'll post an invite here.

Contactless cards only work on routes with gates. MultiPass covers both (via BLE and soon-to-be-introduced contactless interface, including TfL coverage).

Guilty as charged: MultiPass does indeed allows to save millions of taxpayers money...

No, the passenger will be charged £32.10 (£21 + £11.10).

According to the T&Cs, only the Day Return price is used to derive the Best Price. The only multi-day ticket mentioned is the Weekly season.

Be3G

Established Member
Do I take it that this system isn't yet configured to work on the Southbury loop? If so, how will the situation be handled if someone catches (say) the first Cambridge to Liverpool Street train on a Saturday and disembarks at Seven Sisters?

ATG

According to the T&Cs, only the Day Return price is used to derive the Best Price. The only multi-day ticket mentioned is the Weekly season.

Will check re T&Cs and revert.
Do I take it that this system isn't yet configured to work on the Southbury loop? If so, how will the situation be handled if someone catches (say) the first Cambridge to Liverpool Street train on a Saturday and disembarks at Seven Sisters?

There are no AGA trains from Cambridge that stop at Seven Sisters. If the passenger travels outside the pilot route, he/she needs to have a valid ticket for that journey.

Stompehh

ATG - thanks for your insight, always good to get information from someone 'in the know'.

Be3G

Established Member
There are no AGA trains from Cambridge that stop at Seven Sisters. If the passenger travels outside the pilot route, he/she needs to have a valid ticket for that journey.

You might want to have a look at the timetable. There's a southbound service every day except Sunday which goes via Seven Sisters: Mon–Fri it's the last train of the day, whilst Saturdays it's the first.

Whilst I take your point that outside of the pilot route people will be travelling on an invalid ticket, this pilot does seem to be advertised as a way to travel from Cambridge to London, and in the cases that I've given, it cannot be argued that Seven Sisters isn't on the way from Cambridge to London. I admit this is an edge case as the trains are at the ends of the day but it does nonetheless seem that something is being advertised which could theoretically land someone with a penalty fare.

ATG

You might want to have a look at the timetable. There's a southbound service every day except Sunday which goes via Seven Sisters: Mon–Fri it's the last train of the day, whilst Saturdays it's the first.

Whilst I take your point that outside of the pilot route people will be travelling on an invalid ticket, this pilot does seem to be advertised as a way to travel from Cambridge to London, and in the cases that I've given, it cannot be argued that Seven Sisters isn't on the way from Cambridge to London. I admit this is an edge case as the trains are at the ends of the day but it does nonetheless seem that something is being advertised which could theoretically land someone with a penalty fare.

Good point! We'll get that fixed, one way or another. Will revert.

A concern for me would be finding myself in hot water if my phone runs out of power mid-journey. Not uncommon if I've forgotten to charge it overnight. I like their helpful advice that if this happens you should call their helpline... do they still have payphones on trains?!

Yes that's why I am steering clear of mobile tickets, the average smart phone battery last a day so there us a chance you can run out of power especially whilst you are trying to get on the net in a bad place, drains the battery quickly

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
ATG, thanks for coming by to answer all of our questions. As you may have worked out, this forum is full of harsh critics :)

I can see how an app you just install and forget about can appeal to many ordinary rail passengers. No queues at the ticket office and faffing at TVMs for one thing. No need to work out which is the best ticket to buy, which most people who are not members of this forum do find confusing. Lots of people generally perceive Oyster, smartcards and to be easy and simple, and will be more than happy to install any app they can get their hands on without wondering how it works. There's also the 'its an app so it must be cool' mentality that prevails nowadays. Doing all the calculations in the back office makes sense here.

I know it can be quite complex working out the best ticket combinations for a set of journeys can be, and I applaud the work that has no doubt gone into all of this. That said, I stand by my original post as to why I personally won't be using the app any time soon.

One of many examples of the type of overcharging that makes me wary of continuous card authorities is that once my local council took my council tax Direct Debit twice on the same day in error. They refused to refund it back, instead saying the only thing they could do was make it so they instead didn't take the DD in the last month of the tax year to balance things out. That would be 6 months away. My bank refused to invoke the Direct Debit guarantee, put a mark on the credit report as it took me overdrawn, and tried to charge me an unauthorised overdraft fee.

I'm confused as to why in the terms 'we' is TEDIPAY (UK) Limited (whose registered address the website has wrong), but the EV SSL certificate holder and customer services contact is Multipass (UK) Limited. It isn't clear who is operating this site, and it makes me wary of how any disputes will be dealt with

I'm also disappointed that once again, every TOC seems to be doing their own thing, instead of working together on one integrated system.

JaJaWa

Established Member
MultiPass will soon be introducing innovative form factors (which will work with iOS too), hence dead battery will no longer be an issue.
Bluetooth (4 / LE) Beacons are compatible with iOS aren't they?

(Indeed, I thought they were originally launched by Apple as an alternative to NFC, as iBeacons)

ATG

Matt, T&Cs will be updated to reflect the scenario you highlighted. Thank you for your valuable input.
ATG, thanks for coming by to answer all of our questions. As you may have worked out, this forum is full of harsh critics :)

I'm also disappointed that once again, every TOC seems to be doing their own thing, instead of working together on one integrated system.

MM, thank you for your constructive criticism. You raised some valid points.

MultiPass will be offering an option of pre-purchasing m-tickets - including Advance Purchase - for those passengers who wish to do so, thus still offering the benefits of "no queuing" and "no paper tickets". There will be a "mix-n-match" option too, combining prepay and post-pay.

We'll be updating our T&Cs to reflect our promise to deal with all payment-related queries quickly and efficiently.

A lot of things will be trialled and changed during the pilot, to iron out many aspects of the service before the commercial launch.

The "big picture" plan is to unite, as a neutral "overlaying" umbrella, all transport operators so that MultiPass can become a "nationwide Oyster", offering passengers seamless multi-modal travel within the country. I bet you can imagine the challenges we are facing there...

(SSL certificate has to be in the same name as the service itself - one of the HSBC's requirements.)
Bluetooth (4 / LE) Beacons are compatible with iOS aren't they?

(Indeed, I thought they were originally launched by Apple as an alternative to NFC, as iBeacons)

iOS and Android handle BLE differently. We are working on iOS version of MultiPass too.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would love to get on this trial if any more spaces come up. I'm using AGA West Anglia a minimum of once per week, often more (sometimes it could work out cheaper to but a weekly season but I don't as I don't know until it's too late) and I vary the routes. Tottenham to Cheshunt, Cheshunt to Stratford etc.

ATG

I admit this is an edge case as the trains are at the ends of the day but it does nonetheless seem that something is being advertised which could theoretically land someone with a penalty fare.

Seven Sisters will be added to the route and T&Cs updated accordingly. Thank you for spotting that edge case, Be3G!
I would love to get on this trial if any more spaces come up. I'm using AGA West Anglia a minimum of once per week, often more (sometimes it could work out cheaper to but a weekly season but I don't as I don't know until it's too late) and I vary the routes. Tottenham to Cheshunt, Cheshunt to Stratford etc.

I will post a link here when "Phase 2" of the pilot launches in early May. That will be open to iPhone users too, btw.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I must say that while I have some difficulties with some of the concept, it is certainly good the level of research you seem to be doing e.g. on here, as is your willingness to fix shortcomings very quickly.

ATG

I must say that while I have some difficulties with some of the concept, it is certainly good the level of research you seem to be doing e.g. on here, as is your willingness to fix shortcomings very quickly.

Thank you for your kind words.

We genuinely want to help the UK Government to turn their election promises into the reality: http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/editors-blog/2015/04/the-missing-election-manifesto.html

It's time this country stepped into the next century when it comes to ticketing. I've already had that orange piece of paper framed! :)

Last edited:

Be3G

Established Member
Seven Sisters will be added to the route and T&Cs updated accordingly. Thank you for spotting that edge case, Be3G!

No problem, though do note that it's not just Seven Sisters involved here, as the first train on a Saturday stops at all stations via Edmonton except for London Fields and Cambridge Heath.

ATG

No problem, though do note that it's not just Seven Sisters involved here, as the first train on a Saturday stops at all stations via Edmonton except for London Fields and Cambridge Heath.

Yes, all such cases are being addressed, i.e. the rules for the pilot route will be reviewed.
ATG - is it your lot who do the Arriva Multi pass too?http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/MobileMultiFlex/

If so then why have you not opened this one on to the other platforms?

Not us, no.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
From my superficial understanding of the situation it sounds as if you alight anywhere between Cheshunt and Hackney Downs on that early train you'll be charged as if you alighted at Cheshunt, as that would be the last beacon you passed.

ATG

From my superficial understanding of the situation it sounds as if you alight anywhere between Cheshunt and Hackney Downs on that early train you'll be charged as if you alighted at Cheshunt, as that would be the last beacon you passed.

The last beacon - at present - is at Tottenham Hale. The stations between TOM and LST will be covered during the next phase of the pilot - there are some challenges there.

rasobey

I ordered my new Smart Card for AGA and only then did I read the small print that existing season tickets aren't able to be transferred across, but it is hope this feature is "coming soon". Does anyone know how soon? Not sure I can wait until my AGC expires in October!

Edit: I think the phrasing was more like "..working on a way of transferring existing tickets over to the Smart Card.."

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Based on experiences with other TOCs' smartcard systems, I'd not be in a hurry to do their beta testing for free.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I ordered my new Smart Card for AGA
Do you mean a Multipass card? Are they publicly available yet? I would definitely be interested in trying one out but as far as I was aware the full AGA-wide version referred to in the Guardian article isn't launched yet?

rasobey

Do you mean a Multipass card? Are they publicly available yet? I would definitely be interested in trying one out but as far as I was aware the full AGA-wide version referred to in the Guardian article isn't launched yet?

I suppose so, yes - if multpass is the more technical term :) Their advertising on the ticket barriers was changed from "Coming soon" to "Swipe your smart card here" or something. Have a look on www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/smart for more info.

My card arrived withint 2 days from the quoted 5 days but like I say I'm stuck until my existing seasons expires in October or they can come up with a way of tx'ing the existing one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.