• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Absolute Block Signallimg

Dano28

Are there any Absolute Block signalling sections between Derby and Edinburgh, that the main ECML TOCs use?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DoubleO

There is a short AB section at Swinderby, between Newark and Lincoln, as well as AB sections between Newcastle and Carlisle. Both are used as diversionary routes by ECML services.

Dano28

There is a short AB section at Swinderby, between Newark and Lincoln, as well as AB sections between Newcastle and Carlisle. Both are used as diversionary routes by ECML services.
Thanks for that.

Is the Newcastle to Carlisle diversion route used by only LNER or do XC use it too for services to Edinburgh?

DoubleO

Thanks for that.

Is the Newcastle to Carlisle diversion route used by only LNER or do XC use it too for services to Edinburgh?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, but I'm sure someone else will!

Lucy1501

I believe Swinderby is now TCB in both directions.

Tomnick

Established Member
I believe Swinderby is now TCB in both directions.
Correct, as indeed it has been for many years – soon after the closure of Lincoln St Marks station and diversion around to West Holmes Jn, if I'm not mistaken.

Gainsborough Trent Jn to Beckingham's still AB though, plus (further south) three sections between Peterborough and Ely (do LNER still go that way?)