• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AC whining and Desiro alarm sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
I'm assuming that it's been specifically tuned to make a major scale (there is no way that that could happen randomly or by harmonics).

It has, appart from the 1st and last note, someone in Siemens Mobility has a sense of humor... (Hence, I hope they win the DTP contract, in addition to other things)

Pumbaa

Established Member
It has, appart from the 1st and last note, someone in Siemens Mobility has a sense of humor... (Hence, I hope they win the DTP contract, in addition to other things)

Yes, the popular myth was it was the last locomotive one of their senior engineers worked on, and they wanted it to sound a little special.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The 323 sound when leaving a station and accelerating is perhaps the most unusual sound I've heard, it sounds like a formula 1 car reviving and going through the gears very quickly.

Established Member
Sadly later series of Taurus have updated software and don't sing. The newer Vectrons (on the rare occasions they actually manage to work) certainly don't...

Taurus going down the scale on arrival are also enjoyable, albeit you need a real merchant who is making a proper stop rather than FGW style. The Berlin ones are good for that, often under overall roofs as well for extra noise :)

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Yes, the popular myth was it was the last locomotive one of their senior engineers worked on, and they wanted it to sound a little special.

The version I heard was it being a nod to various Austrian Composers as OBB were the original customers...

I've heard that someone allegedly managed to get an ICE 3 to play the German National Anthem after playing with the software... [source unreliable but cool if true]

D365

Veteran Member
Then you'd upset the Strauss fans ;)

Would "changing the soundtrack", if at all feasible, affect rolling stock performance?

The Desiro sound, I don't mind it. One can barely hear it from inside as the carriages are well-insulated, and I've always thought them quieter than the Electrostar equivalent. The earlier CAF/Siemens 332/333 builds have a smoother Electrostar-esque sound, quite a different design, but Siemens lists them as a Desiro product on their Mobility website.

My ultimate favourite has to be the 365/Networker sound. And not just because I've grown up with it, it is the original AC sound! All else I have to say as a conclusion to this great traction sound debate is, each to their own!

starrymarkb

Established Member
The version I heard was it being a nod to various Austrian Composers as OBB were the original customers...

I've heard that someone allegedly managed to get an ICE 3 to play the German National Anthem after playing with the software... [source unreliable but cool if true]

This might be digitally altered but The German National Anthem, performed by an ICE3 (in Service Mode)

VTPreston_Tez

Some of Nottingham City Transport's Optare Solos (circa 2000 vintage) used to sing!

Ah yes, the singing Solos. I remember them well, there are a few left around Preston and I was on one the other day.
I like both the singing buses and 323s to be fair.

Established Member
Taurus going down the scale on arrival are also enjoyable, albeit you need a real merchant who is making a proper stop rather than FGW style. The Berlin ones are good for that, often under overall roofs as well for extra noise :)

That is true, unfortunately the noise is normally drowned out by the brake squeal on the double decker coaches!

Bob M

How does anyone hear outside noises from inside a 444 or 450 - the air con is deafening!

Gareth

Established Member
I admit, I rather like the sound. Gives them some character.

I like the sound too. Definitely up there with the '96 tube stock.

Then again, as I don't use them that often, it may be the novelty factor. Perhaps it grates for those commuting on them five days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.