• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accident in India - At least 260 killed and 1,000 injured (02/06/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Ten people have been killed and dozens injured after a derailment in India.

Source: Daily Express. Also being reported by BBC News.

Major emergency with fatalities and more than 100 injured in train derailment in India.

Ten people have been killed and at least 100 people are feared to have been injured after a train derailed in India after colliding with a goods train in Odisha's Balasore. The accident reportedly occurred near Bahanaga station in Balasore on Friday evening.

Following the incident, rescue operations have been launched and the injured are being moved to Balasore hospital.

The Special Relief Commissioner's office in Odisha said in a statement: "Teams have left for the spot for search and rescue operation.

"Collector Balasore has also been directed to reach the spot to make all necessary arrangements and intimate the SRC if any additional help is required from the state level."

According to reports, several teams from the NDRF are on their way to the scene to carry out further rescue operations.

Odisha Fire Services DG and Sudhanshu Sarangi have reportedly been put in charge of supervising the operation.

Furthermore, Odisha Revenue Minister Pramila Mallik and the SRC have been told to head to the site of the accident to ensure the smooth running of the operation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
80 dead, 500 injured now. Three trains involved, a commuter train that derailed, an express train that hit overturned carriages, and a freight train.

Vespa

Established Member
Quite common in India, railways are not usually kept up to the same western standard as we come to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
BBC now reporting 207 deaths and 900 injuries. Can this get any worse? Clearly this is a major catastrophe and hopefully more details will emerge.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Appalling catastrophe. Life has almost no value in India, I'm afraid, so don't expect this to lead to any serious repercussions in the long term.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I think this makes it possibly the second worst train disaster in India after the one that killed 800?

londonbridge

Established Member
In a statement the Indian prime minister referred to the incident as a “mishap”…….I think it’s a bit more than that somehow.

38Cto15E

Terrible news, you only have to look at some of those Indian railways videos on Youtube to see how fast they go.

Bayum

Established Member
Terrible news, you only have to look at some of those Indian railways videos on Youtube to see how fast they go.
Interesting to say that because the average speed of each of these trains is less than 60mph. Granted, in some areas they’re faster but not massively.

railfan99

Established Member

I visited for three weeks in December 2019 and covered many lines, including some like Shimla that are narrow gauge 'toy trains'.

Even at close to 100kmh, passengers still stood close to open car doors, generally hanging on to vertical rails. This was on compulsory reserved (major) sections of long distance sleeping car trains.

At no stage did I see stupid behaviour on board, but many local residents cross the tracks.

When there were a couple of unreserved cars attached to a long distance train at say an intermediate station, typically these became super crowded with standees.

It's terrible what's occurred and we can't treat people as 'statistics', but given the huge number the extremely busy network carries each day post-COVID, thankfully (as it would want to be), this accident is an extremely rare event. The safety record has apparently improved over the years (as, again, it would want to).

As a minor point, the level of English among other passengers seemed low, but perhaps some were too shy to talk with me as often being the only foreigner (with white skin) on board, I stood out as 'unusual').

squizzler

Established Member
It is especially unfortunate that the Indian Railways have just devised their own equivalent of ESCS known as Kavach. India is known for considerable IT competence and I would expect it to be effective and apparently will cost a quarter of the money to install as ETCS, and it was demonstrated "live" in 2022. Whilst Wikipedia also says there is an aggressive schedule to roll it out, it will be no good for the 300 odd souls lost in Odisha, plus those traumatised survivors.

stuu

Established Member
They don't, there's a couple of sections with 160 km/h max. Most of the main lines are 100-140 km/h, including this one.

ExRes

Established Member
Typical political response with the PM Modi promising the people found guilty will be punished stringently, bit of a problem if the accident is down to political negligence

It appears that the initial cause was a derailment due to any number of reasons, negligence, equipment failure, lack of maintenance, an object on the track etc
There doesn't seem to be any doubt that 3 trains were involved but the BBC has two different versions in the same article!
Modi may mean well but it's unlikely anything will change.

MarkyT

Established Member
It appears that the initial cause was a derailment due to any number of reasons, negligence, equipment failure, lack of maintenance, an object on the track etc
There doesn't seem to be any doubt that 3 trains were involved but the BBC has two different versions in the same article!
Modi may mean well but it's unlikely anything will change.
The derailment may have taken place at the divergence from the main line to the goods loop. I note there is a public level crossing partway through the junction at that end of the station, which lends weight to an obstacle theory. Even a minor derailment at speed followed by a facing turnout can plausibly develop into something very serious, as we found out in the UK at Ufton Nervet in 2004.

Established Member
The derailment may have taken place at the divergence from the main line to the goods loop. I note there is a public level crossing partway through the junction at that end of the station, which lends weight to an obstacle theory. Even a minor derailment at speed followed by a facing turnout can plausibly develop into something very serious, as we found out in the UK at Ufton Nervet in 2004.

The explanation from local officials currently in the BBC report says the first train derailed after hitting a stationary freight train. You can see in some images that the white locomotive appears to be resting on top of what look like goods wagons, so it looks like it could be a rear end collision. The question then of course is how the express came to be on the already occupied line (goods loop?).

MarkyT

Established Member
The explanation from local officials currently in the BBC report says the first train derailed after hitting a stationary freight train. You can see in some images that the white locomotive appears to be resting on top of what look like goods wagons, so it looks like it could be a rear end collision. The question then of course is how the express came to be on the already occupied line (goods loop?).
The loco of the first passenger train ended up on top of an open wagon at the back of the freight in the goods loop, so it clearly left the trajectory of the parallel straight main line by some means. Either it was incorrectly switched to the loop or it was already derailed and then diverted by a wheel following the outside of the left-hand stock rail even though the points were correctly lying in position for the main line, very like the Ufton Nervet incident. If the points were aligned for the divergence to the goods loop, as it's likely they were comparatively speed limited, negotiating the junction at through mainline speed could plausibly cause a derailment through overspeed, but this would be just before hitting the rear of the freight so it's difficult to determine the initiating event. Take a look at the aerial photo in the following tweet, looking in the direction of approach of the first train: https://twitter.com/MsAnushkaShetty/status/1664908513754112001
1685821968542.png
Loco of first train circled yellow. Note there was also a stationary freight in the opposing direction goods loop (right of image). Some of the wreckage may have come into contact with it but it looks undamaged. The second passenger train, approaching towards the camera, ploughed through the carriages of the first that were scattered across the lines. The loco and some coaches of that are behind the camera. Some if its carriages may have become uncoupled and seem to have been left behind on the second track from right.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Utterly horrendous disaster in every sense, regardless of what the actual cause(s) turns out to be.

I'm well aware that India has a dark and blood-soaked history when it comes to rail disasters and that it lags well behind most of Europe and Asia when it comes to safety and regard for human life generally speaking, it's still hard to get a handle on such a high death toll resulting from a train accident in 2023. My condolences and thoughts are obviously with the victims and their families, the traumatized survivors and the rescue workers who will have no doubt seen and heard some truly hellish things during their efforts.

I think this makes it possibly the second worst train disaster in India after the one that killed 800?
3rd worst, as of me typing this. The Firozabad disaster of August 1995 is the second worst, with 358 confirmed deaths, though it should be noted that some sources push the death toll there up to beyond 400.

The Bihar accident in June 1981 (the accident the bolded part of the quoted text is referring to) had a official government death toll of 235 stamped on it as that was the number of bodies recovered from the Bagmati River that the train had plunged into, but estimates on the actual death toll range anywhere between 500 and beyond 800 and that most bodies had been swept away by the river before rescue/recovery operations could begin.

Given the relative lack of documentation of that accident (it's direct cause is contested, a cyclone, flash flooding and a brake failure have all been put forward), I can't say with any certainty the actual precise number of lives lost at Bihar, but what I can say is that 235 seems like a conservative figure to say the least given the number of people on board the train relative to the number of bodies that were pulled from the river.

(the fact that 235 is considered to be the conservative figure there really does put a cold chill up my back, as that figure eclipses Quintinshill's death toll by 9)

Killingworth

Established Member
Times of India report

Mamata Banerjee, Ashwini Vaishnaw spar over death figures after WB CM says toll could touch 500​

Jun 04, 2023, 01:04AM ISTSource: TOI.in

There was a bit of sparring between West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee and Railways minister Ashwini Vaishnaw over death toll in the Balasore train tragedy. When Mamata Banerjee insisted that the death toll could go up to 500 while talking to the media, Ashwini Vaishnaw, who was standing beside her, said that the death toll is 238 as per latest figures. Also, while Mamata Banerjee insisted that three more bogies were yet to be cleared of dead bogies, the Railways minister said that all bogies have been cleared. Later on, speaking to the media, Vaishnaw said that the state government gives out the death figures and as per the latest information, the toll was 261. He also said that there should be no politics over the tragedy and focus should be on restoring the services as soon as possible.
Video report has more information at; Times of India video

There are further reports on this site.

341o2

Established Member
Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Times of India website has details but I can't link to all the pages. Interesting that they seem to be hoping to have lines open today. Another report suggests Wednesday. Horrendous crash but amazing recovery operation.

Times of India website at; https://m.timesofindia.com/amp_news

Tio Terry

Copied from Facebook, please remove if not considered appropriate.

This accident happened after reconnection of maintenance work where maintainer unintentionally bypassed point NWKR instead of any LC boom related relay where the actual maintenance was going on, resulting the signal was clear for up main line with facing point reverse (in actual this should been Normal but due to loop at location interlocking system detected it as normal and signal cleared for max permissible speed) and this lead to passenger train collided Up loop goods train and bogies of UP main train jumped to Down main line and hit to last bogie of another running train which was running parallel to it. The mistake from Maintainer happened due to wrong nomenclature at location (This information I have received from my sources, validity of this will be subject to any final report published )

Status
Not open for further replies.