• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accident report of incident involving a train hitting a car circa 1966?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfoxcc

I am trying to find a report from 1966ish that involved the 16.00 Edinburgh - King's Cross which hit a car ( US serviceman involved -survived...car wrecked!!) on a level Crossing somewhere north of Peterborough as the writer says:

The guard checked the train and everything appeared to be all right so it went forward to Peterborough where we got the C&W to take a closer look. They declared that all was well and within five minutes the train was on its way to London where it arrived about ten minutes down.

The Commonwealth Mk 1 coaches were pretty solid vehicles!

Would such an incident be reported back then and the Investigation team be involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Colin1501

The Commonwealth Mk 1 coaches were pretty solid vehicles!
The Class 55 'Deltic' locomotive which I assume was hauling the train was even more solid! Interesting to see how little disruption the incident caused compared with what would happen today - passengers probably stranded on the train for hours, and the line closed completely with mass cancellation of other services!

Gloster

Established Member
Doing a search on Railways Archive for ‘road vehicle collision‘ and the years 1960 to 1970 reveals forty three accidents, however only eleven have documents available. The other ones are listed by date and location, but I don’t know the area so I can’t say if they are on the ECML.

Regarding clearing up after an accident. The accident at Beckingham on 5 April 1968 saw five deaths in the car that was hit. The accident happened at 11.13, the train left at 12.29 (being driven by a driver who had been travelling passenger in it) and trains passed under Caution until normal working was resumed at 14.50.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I can't find any mention on the railways archive site, but if the outcome was that incidental then I suspect it might not have drawn much official attention. Perhaps a little context to your question would help narrow things down a bit. "1966ish" and "somewhere north of Peterborough" are not very helpful search terms.

But then, a lack of formal investigation is hardly surprising when you consider that a derailment at Great Chesterford in April 1965 that resulted in motor cars and a brake van ending up on the "up" platform together with the derailment of a locomotive and train and the destruction of several vehicles appears not to have been formally investigated (or at least no report has yet come to light).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I can't find any mention on the railways archive site, but if the outcome was that incidental then I suspect it might not have drawn much official attention. Perhaps a little context to your question would help narrow things down a bit. "1966ish" and "somewhere north of Peterborough" are not very helpful search terms.

But then, a lack of formal investigation is hardly surprising when you consider that a derailment at Great Chesterford in April 1965 that resulted in motor cars and a brake van ending up on the "up" platform together with the derailment of a locomotive and train and the destruction of several vehicles appears not to have been formally investigated (or at least no report has yet come to light).
Indeed, searching the Railways Archive for accidents on the Eastern Region caused by driver error produced 19 results for 1960-70, but most had no formal investigation and thus no report made: https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/e...opment=all&published=no&acctype=all&submit=Go

silverfoxcc

Thankos for all your assistance.That is all the info i had. it comes from someone who seems to be very economical with details when he does not want to be checked

Status
Not open for further replies.