• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidentally bought 2 tickets with one railcard

claystrong19

Hi everybody!

I unknowingly bought tickets with my railcard for two people(that includes me). My partner just arrived from the Philippines and did not have any bank card that pushes through here yet so I had to buy her tickets as well.

I buy my train tickets on the Trainline app and I didn’t realise it was set on the railcard by default(I am not very tech savvy). I may have bought us previous tickets with the same railcard(she’s only been here a week, purchased 5 returns, and 1 single ticket). Only did I realise it when today, when we travelled from Dorking to Guildford where we both our tickets stopped at the gates. I showed my ticket to the Railway Employee and she asked for my railcard. This immediately gave me a pang of anxiety since I realised I also bought the other ticket with the same railcard. I was let through but unfortunately, not my partner.

My partner, who was visiting Guildford Post Office to obtain her British Residence Permit Card(bless her), got asked for her name and address. She’s a dependent so she hasn’t got any proper orientation to all the services we have. She hasn’t even got a GP yet.

Anyway, I seek advice on to what to do. The employee said the Railway Company(South Western Railway) will contact us for further details regarding the incident. How do I deal with this predicament? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What type of railcard have you got?

Veteran Member
Essentially, she will get a letter (it may not arrive for some time) from SWR asking for an explanation and probably threatening prosecution.

However, most train companies will agree to a financial settlement covering the cost of the journey and their admin expenses. They will first look to see if there is any evidence of previous offences, which unfortunately there may be.

Please come back for further advice at that stage.

Meanwhile it would be worth her getting her own railcard if she will be travelling reasonably often, not only because it will save money but also because it shows good intent.

Titfield

Established Member
You may wish to search this forum (use the tool in the top right hand corner) for other cases involving either no railcard or expired railcard. Whilst all cases are unique the process that the TOCS use is standardised. You will be able to see the outcomes of similar cases but nb it is not guaranteed that yours will be the same.

Whilst it will give you no comfort, the problem (bad outcomes) of owning a railcard as a default setting on a railway app is featuring more and more often on these forums. Unfortunately making sure that you have the correct settings on any app is the responsibility of the user.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hopefully not going too far off topic here: but how does the system that the OP used apply railcard discounts for multiple sales in the same basket?

Most systems I've seen do not allow more than one railcarded ticket to be added at the same time.

SussexMan

Hopefully not going too far off topic here: but how does the system that the OP used apply railcard discounts for multiple sales in the same basket?

Southern's website allows you to select the number of adults and then add the number of different railcards. The example below will give me three adult tickets, one full price, one with a 16-17 Saver and one with a 16-25 railcard.

Southern.jpg

Alex C.

It's possible if you're purchasing in two separate transactions that you miss the railcard. I bought a ticket individually a few months ago for my wife who did not have a railcard. Trainline defaulted to my Network Railcard and whilst I'm sure I clicked on remove, it applied it at the end. On reflection, I think I just forgot to remove it but it's not impossible to do if you're used to spending 20 seconds buying a ticket.

I do find it odd though that the OP felt immediate anxiety when they were asked for their own railcard, I would have thought the first they would have realised there was a problem is when the partner was asked for their railcard. Probably not worth including that in any contact with SWR!

kristiang85

Established Member
If you are going to travel together often it might be worth getting a Two Together Railcard; it works out at £15 each so you will likely make the money back very quickly.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hiya Hadders,

The railcard was a 26-30 one.
Unfirtunately a 26-30 Railcard can only be used by the cardholder to obtain discounted tickets. SOme other railcards (eg Network, Two Together, Disabled and Friends & Family (if travelling with a child) allow discounted tickets to be used by more than one person.

WHat will happen next is that South Western Railway will write to your in the next few weeks. The letter will use quite threadening language saying that they have received a report and are considering prosecuting. The letter will ask you for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. I suggest you send a short reply mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

SWR are usually prepared to offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with their investigation and who haven't come to their attention before. We can't guarantee this and the are within their right to prosecute in the Magistrates Court should they decide to do so. If you are offered a settlement expect to have to pay the fare avoided at the full Anytime rate (with no account taken for the ticket you did purchase) plus an admin fee of around £150.

Paying an out of court settlement might feel as though you're paying a fine but technically it isn't a fine - only a court can impose a fine as a punishment upon conviction and paying a settlement means you won't have a criminal record.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

claystrong19

Thank you everyone! Will wait for the letter and will post a draft after it comes. I’ve come to terms with paying the fine. Hopefully they won’t go too hard. Will definitely give this thread an update once it comes.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you everyone! Will wait for the letter and will post a draft after it comes. I’ve come to terms with paying the fine. Hopefully they won’t go too hard. Will definitely give this thread an update once it comes.
Just to clarify you don't want to pay a fine - a fine would mean you've been convicted by a court.

What you want to pay is an out of court settlement. It feels like paying a fine but technically it isn't!