• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge, Hounslow

Standard Travelodge inside of the older style (ie no usb sockets or AC). Located a stones throw from Hounslow Central LU station on the Piccadilly line (around a 12 minute walk from Hounslow SWR station, so useful for early starts with night tube.

A bit of road noise but nothing that major. Certainly one I will stay at again if the price is right

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

high camera

Travelodge Feltham

Stayed ther last night while on business, paid £29 !!

Some rooms overlook railway station.

Lodge is in town centre with loads of eateries and a wetherspoons.

Well connected budget hotel for London

Kite159

Veteran Member
Regent Hotel, Bootle (Liverpool)

Stayed here last Saturday due to being on the BLS Merseyrail tour on the Sunday. The hotel has had some money spent on the interior (new carpets/wallpaper etc) recently (although could have done with having signs on the doors in the hall-way with room numbers). Room was comfortable, but there was a bit of road noise (although probably made worse as a main-road was closed so vehicles were diverting), and some light noise from the docks.

Not a lot of (food) shops etc around the hotel, there did appear to be a pub close by (but it looked like the sort of place for locals rather than tourists), I would recommend ignoring Google Map's suggestion to go via an industrial estate instead stay to the main-roads.

I would probably stay there again if the need comes around for an overnight in Merseyside where I don't arrive late.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ibis Styles Crewe

15 mins walk from Crewe station the hotel is in a quiet business park. Despite being the second lowest tier of the Ibis brand (lying in between "Ibis Budget" at the bottom and "Ibis") I found the rooms actually a bit superior to many of the higher tier "Ibis" hotels that I have stayed in. Like the "Holiday Inn Express" brand breakfast is complimentary and included fried eggs as well as bacon, sausage, scrambled and poached eggs. The usual choice of cereals and breads is also available.

Good place to stay if bashing in the area and using Crewe as a base.

AndrewE

Established Member
Is that the one which involves a walk alongside a dual carriageway?
It is, but it's only about 400m (with an intermediate junction) with a wide shared cycle / footpath. It's not a terribly long or intimidating trudge - compared to some roads I have walked along in other towns and cities!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that the one which involves a walk alongside a dual carriageway?

Yes it is.

It is, but it's only about 400m (with an intermediate junction) with a wide shared cycle / footpath. It's not a terribly long or intimidating trudge - compared to some roads I have walked along in other towns and cities!

Indeed and the walk is in what I would regards as the more "salubrious" part of Crewe.

route101

Established Member
Ibis Styles Crewe

15 mins walk from Crewe station the hotel is in a quiet business park. Despite being the second lowest tier of the Ibis brand (lying in between "Ibis Budget" at the bottom and "Ibis") I found the rooms actually a bit superior to many of the higher tier "Ibis" hotels that I have stayed in. Like the "Holiday Inn Express" brand breakfast is complimentary and included fried eggs as well as bacon, sausage, scrambled and poached eggs. The usual choice of cereals and breads is also available.

Good place to stay if bashing in the area and using Crewe as a base.

I thought the styles ibis brand was the highest brand, i recall staying in a Ibis Budget in Amsterdam and as pretty good.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I know it isn't relevant at the moment due to the CV, but slowly catching up with some new places I've stayed at.

Premier Inn, Wolverhampton

Stayed here on a Saturday night when it was very good value for money compared to normal. Normally a very short walk from the station but the underpass is closed due to the station rebuild so around a 5 minute walk. Standard Premier Inn rooms, certainly useful if you need an early start from Wolverhampton station and Birmingham is expensive.

Premier Inn, Doncaster (Fishergate)

Stayed here for the BLS tour during March, around a 5 minute walk from the station via the shopping area, so useful for early starts/late arrivals. Bit of road noise but nothing major compared to other places.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A few from me. as a creature of habit I've largely stayed in the same places over the last couple of years since I posted in this thread.

Britannia hotel Stockport:

not particularly close to the railway station but dialstone lane where it is located is rather well served by several bus routes so ideal if on a GM wayfarer, plusbus or other pass or ticket that makes bus travel free of charge or inclusive for you. That having been said the night I arrived I was quite late and the rain was coming down in a way that would have made Noah start buying wood so my journey from the station was in the back of a black cab

britannia's I know a bit of a Marmite subject for many people but this one was ok, as long as you don't go with high expectations you'll be absolutely fine. The only expectation I had was over bed and a shower and therefore was not disappointed. Commodores smelled a little musty but the room itself was clean and the bathroom although not factory fresh and the longer was perfectly serviceable. My shower gel was empty but reception quickly put that right when mentioned and it was full to the brim when I came back from indulging in several warming and relaxing house whiskeys in the bar which stayed open until about 11 on that particular autumn night

bed was comfortable for me and although a lack of power sockets meant that I used my power bank rather than hunting round for a free one at night I did do a bit of rearranging of stuff in the morning and was able to charge my phone and boil the kettle at the same time. I mean too bothered as strangely the cups were missing from my room which was doubtless and oversight by housekeeping. Made up for it by turning up at breakfast on the dot of 8 a.m. and disposing of 4 mugs of coffee as well as orange juice fruit and two plates of the hot stuff. Sunday service out of Stockport is a little limited and if it falls over for some reason first thing in the morning then you're in trouble. As I was in possession of an advance ticket with TransPennine back to Scotland I decided to play Safe and got an uber all the way to Piccadilly as it was showing as only £11 on the app and I ended up paying 10 NH where's the black cab fare back to Stockport station would have been around £6 based on the previous evening

Good for a leisure stay and would use again if in the area.

Premier Inn Glasgow cambuslang:

spontaneously ended up here after a forum trip to the West Highlands and farewell to the old sleeper stock on the evening run back South. there was a spare room available due to someone's arrangements changing and rather than the final drag back to Edinburgh and taxi home I grabbed it with enthusiasm as I had had a very long day and was exhausted. Good refurbished premier, no air conditioning though so be warned. Nearest station Carmyle 10-minutes walk. No lift if that is of concern to anyone but ground floor rooms available. Good breakfast at the adjoining pub
One roundabout off the m74 for a fast taxi ride into Glasgow should you need one

holiday Inn York city centre. Located just off Piccadilly this hotel is of no real relation to the railway station and requires a half hour walk or a combination of bus or taxi to get there but art was for me a fine way to dip my toe in the water of being out and about and away from home again post lockdown. the food and beverage offering was extremely limited at the time and the rooms are not the latest holiday in design but are still perfectly good and the air conditioning once fathomed out was extremely efficient. Plenty of plug sockets and a good supply of tea and rancid hotel instant coffee. Staff excellent. would use again but doubt I'll ever get the chance as you're quite often can be very expensive to stay in and and it was purely because I stayed about 10 days after hotels were given permission to open again but I got this price.

AntoniC

Regent Hotel, Bootle (Liverpool)

Stayed here last Saturday due to being on the BLS Merseyrail tour on the Sunday. The hotel has had some money spent on the interior (new carpets/wallpaper etc) recently (although could have done with having signs on the doors in the hall-way with room numbers). Room was comfortable, but there was a bit of road noise (although probably made worse as a main-road was closed so vehicles were diverting), and some light noise from the docks.

Not a lot of (food) shops etc around the hotel, there did appear to be a pub close by (but it looked like the sort of place for locals rather than tourists), I would recommend ignoring Google Map's suggestion to go via an industrial estate instead stay to the main-roads.

I would probably stay there again if the need comes around for an overnight in Merseyside where I don't arrive late.
Allegedly, that`s round the corner from a where an ex Everton & Manchester Utd and current Derby County player, paid for some adult services ...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
stayed in the premier in about 5 minutes walk from Dundee station last Thursday. Excellent. It's modern and has air conditioning in rooms but
website doesn't state this so I wonder if some rooms miss this as this is an older hotel which has been extensively rebuilt and refurbished to the new hotel standard. two lifts nd excellent attached beefeater as well as some fantastic railway and river views. Highly recommended. Bathroom fan runs on for about 10 seconds after the light is switched

route101

Established Member
Premier Inn Portsmouth Harbour.

Brand new PI , great customer service and comfortable nights sleep. Booked a week before for £44.

Travelodge Southampton Central

Bity tatty this one, got woken up by an argument in hallway in middle of night. Perhaps they still had homeless staying. Weed smell in stair well.

Travelodge Winchsester

Quiet , cleaner tHAN Southampton TL. Seemed very quiet.

Travelodge London Waterloo . £44 steal for central London. Reception staff , ladys mood seemed to flip halfway through, perhaps she wasnt pleased with my responses to her small talk. Room was a plus room , more like a Premier inn room.

route101

Established Member
Premier Inn Portsmouth Harbour.

Brand new PI , great customer service and comfortable nights sleep. Booked a week before for £44.

Travelodge Southampton Central

Bity tatty this one, got woken up by an argument in hallway in middle of night. Perhaps they still had homeless staying. Weed smell in stair well.

Travelodge Winchsester

Quiet , cleaner tHAN Southampton TL. Seemed very quiet.

Travelodge London Waterloo . £44 steal for central London. Reception staff , ladys mood seemed to flip halfway through, perhaps she wasnt pleased with my responses to her small talk. Room was a plus room , more like a Premier inn room.

Agree with Ibis Styles at Crewe. Another place I use (but not the cheapest) is Mercure Princes Street in Edinburgh. Close to Waverley station and you can see the trams from the breakfast room and front bedrooms.

Wuffle

Last year we stayed at a private B and B in York called The Apple House, Holgate Rd about a 10 minute walk from the station if you go via the car park and would definitely recommend it, only problem is a lack of a lift hence a bit of a climb up the stairs but worth it

A few months later we stayed at the Travelodge Edinburgh Central, St Mary's St and that was one of the Travelodge's we've stayed in and good value

We had booked to go to Bath in April but BoJo panicked -

route101

Established Member
Stayed in two Travelodges at the weekend.

Travelodge Cricklewood London

Was £25 for the night, close to the station. Area felt a bit dodgy at night, is this a bad area? Room was little grubby, family next door were playing music all night.

Travelodge Hull Central

Again £25 a night , not far from station. Nicer room than London TL. Few leisure stayers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Travelodge at Ashford has a nice view of the station. It also does a proper breakfast, rather than just a croissant in a box.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It's not exactly a budget-friendly option but for easy access to train and bus stations as well as the ferry terminal in Oban then the royal hotel is a very good option. Decent food and nice selection of whiskies. Plentiful supply of hot water at pretty much any time of the day

SteveM70

Established Member
Travelodge Porthmadog

First hotel I’ve stayed in since the madness began. Basic even by Travelodge standards but it’s a holiday and some good cycling, including comfortably beating Talyllyn trains up and down the Fathew valley.

And I had a beer in a pub beer garden. Luxury!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Travelodge Porthmadog

First hotel I’ve stayed in since the madness began. Basic even by Travelodge standards but it’s a holiday and some good cycling, including comfortably beating Talyllyn trains up and down the Fathew valley.

And I had a beer in a pub beer garden. Luxury!
I wonder if you had the same room as I did...? Front of the building, almost just above the entrance - one room over to the left as you look at the building from the car park.

SteveM70

Established Member
I wonder if you had the same room as I did...? Front of the building, almost just above the entrance - one room over to the left as you look at the building from the car park.

I’ve never had a stalker before :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Travelodge Glasgow Queen Street. Apologies if I've already written this up earlier in the thread but it was my last hotel stay before restrictions were tightened sufficiently in Scotland to make hotel stays a thing of the past for a while. It has the 2015 to 2018 style of rooms in terms of fittings and decor and bathroom. Converted office tower as so many are these days and 5 minutes from both Queen Street station and Buchanan Bus station with a little Tesco almost next door. Home bar and restaurant when such facilities are open and lots of city centre eating and drinking places nearby as well as full access to all the delivery services you could want, a nice smiling uber eats man brought me a mister Singh's India curry and some chilled Cider whilst I stayed.

I'm watching what I'm doing with Travelodge at the moment as their financial situation is to say the very least precarious. Do anyone with reward nights or credits from previous cancellations or compensation I would get these booked and used pronto before they either collapse due to lack of cash flow or get a a landlord on their hands and find properties sold to other hotel operators

SteveM70

Established Member
Travelodge Glasgow Queen Street

Ugh

Stayed there three years ago and when I opened the door to “my” room there was a bloke asleep in there. Unfortunately (for me) he was naked and he had no covers on him. The reception staff were remarkably sanguine about it when I went back downstairs and asked them what was going on

But apropos Glasgow, Grasshoppers is absolutely fantastic. 6th or 7th floor above Central station, nice rooms, great service

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge Glasgow Queen Street. Apologies if I've already written this up earlier in the thread but it was my last hotel stay before restrictions were tightened sufficiently in Scotland to make hotel stays a thing of the past for a while. It has the 2015 to 2018 style of rooms in terms of fittings and decor and bathroom. Converted office tower as so many are these days and 5 minutes from both Queen Street station and Buchanan Bus station with a little Tesco almost next door. Home bar and restaurant when such facilities are open and lots of city centre eating and drinking places nearby as well as full access to all the delivery services you could want, a nice smiling uber eats man brought me a mister Singh's India curry and some chilled Cider whilst I stayed.

I'm watching what I'm doing with Travelodge at the moment as their financial situation is to say the very least precarious. Do anyone with reward nights or credits from previous cancellations or compensation I would get these booked and used pronto before they either collapse due to lack of cash flow or get a a landlord on their hands and find properties sold to other hotel operators

Is that the one you paid £20 for the same day booking?

--------------

Couple more different Travelodges I stayed in last year, taking advantage of the BOGOF offer they had running:

Travelodge Nottingham Central
Around a 10 minute walk from the station, although not one to stay in during the summer as it doesn't have AC and the windows don't open that far in order to draw in fresh air so the room was a bit warm.

Travelodge Leeds Central
Around 5 minutes from the station (room I had overlooked the platforms so ideal for spotting), not so ideal for sleeping due to trains rolling past towards Neville Hill depot as the point work was a bit on the noisy side. Certainly one to avoid unless you are a heavy sleeper or need to be close to Leeds station for an early morning departure/late night arrival

Travelodge Manchester Central (Blackfriars Street, next to River Irwell).
Around 8 minutes from both Salford Central & Manchester Victoria station, older style building which had bouncers on the door when I stayed there. Road outside was a bit noisy, but was reasonable for a city centre hotel.

Travelodge Edinburgh Central (St Mary Street):
Around 10 minutes walk from the station, nothing much to shout about. Bit of road noise due to the road surface being stones.

Travelodge Edinburgh Central (Waterloo Place):
Less than 5 minutes from the station, quite a good location (especially when arriving around half midnight due to a 75 minute delay getting into Edinburgh due to a failed freight train, meaning I got to enjoy the delights of Dunbar station for over an hour).

Premier Inn, Reading (Caversham Bridge):
Around 8 minutes walk from the station, quite a reasonable hotel for the Reading area, near to the River Thames.

Premier Inn, Middlesbrough Town Centre
Around 5 minutes (or so) from the station. Newer style Premier Inn, quite reasonable for Middlesbrough. Very friendly staff on reception

Easy Hotel, Ipswich
Around 18 minutes (or so) from the station. Usual Easy Hotel standard of being budget (bed, AC, plug sockets, shower). Certainly one I would use again if ever I was needing to stay in that general area. Only downside was a slightly noisy extractor in the toilet unit

Easy Hotel, Manchester
Probably around less than 10 minutes from Piccadilly, again usual Easy Hotel standard of rooms. Another one I would use again if ever the need arises. Can't really blame the hotel for the couple making love in the room above. Not much in the way of traffic noise.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
You are indeed correct that I paid £20 for that Glasgow Travelodge on the day that I stayed in it, save me a horrendously antisocial early start on a Sunday morning and allowed me to enjoy curry and alcohol rather than going to bed with a hot chocolate at 21 like an old woman