• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acronyms for initial signaller training

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamTate

Good evening all. I’m currently revising for my Signaller IST written exams but I’m wondering if there are any decent acronyms out there please for the long lists we need to remember?

the one I’m struggling to make one for is for the 9 arrangements you need to make with a COSS before you can block the line (TS1 13.2.2)

many help would be massively appreciated!

Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stodge

The one we were taught was tall pants
T - time it will take to do the work
A - arrangements at level crossings
L - line to be blocked
L - locations between which the work will take place
P - protecting signals to be kept at danger
A - any additional protection required
N - nature of the work
T - time permission for work can be granted
S - single line working arrangements

headshot119

Established Member
For TW7

P - Points set for the safety of the move
U - Unworked points secured
B - Barriers at level crossing down
A - Automatic crossings will operate normally or on local
G - Ground frames normal unless required for the move
S - conflicting Signals at danger with reminders applied.

Pronounced as in poo bags

You can also reuse that for S5 as well with some adaption.

Stigy

Established Member
You mean mnemonics. Acronyms are the initials which serve to abbreviate as title - Like COSS or TOC for example. Sorry, it’s a pet hate of mine :)

Toots

And the latest one FTAP....might be worth asking your instructor about that Adam, it was certainly a surprise to me!

headshot119

Established Member
FTAP - Flexible Train Arrival Point. Do you need any help with that Toots, feel free to DM me.

Toots

No thanks mate, it's just that briefings have been few and far between round here because of covid and both that and Protection zones were a surprise to a few of us and I wondered if they were getting taught to the likes of Adam at Signalling school.
As soon as I became aware of them,I checked them out,especially if they were to be used on Absolute Block,which as you know a possession cannot be granted with a train in on that form of Signalling,yet it appears they can be with Protection zones using the FTAPs

headshot119

Established Member
No thanks mate, it's just that briefings have been few and far between round here because of covid and both that and Protection zones were a surprise to a few of us and I wondered if they were getting taught to the likes of Adam at Signalling school.
As soon as I became aware of them,I checked them out,especially if they were to be used on Absolute Block,which as you know a possession cannot be granted with a train in on that form of Signalling,yet it appears they can be with Protection zones using the FTAPs

I'd be interested if they're being taught as well. I guess there won't be too many places round the country with AB where the use of TCODs are authorised (Though I can think of two), so it'll be a bit of a niche, but like you I can't find anything that prevents there use in AB.

Toots

I'd be interested if they're being taught as well. I guess there won't be too many places round the country with AB where the use of TCODs are authorised (Though I can think of two), so it'll be a bit of a niche, but like you I can't find anything that prevents there use in AB.
And you can use disconnections as well I think,which in our case is usually the removal of the pin from the back of the lever by S&T staff...

AdamTate

The one we were taught was tall pants
T - time it will take to do the work
A - arrangements at level crossings
L - line to be blocked
L - locations between which the work will take place
P - protecting signals to be kept at danger
A - any additional protection required
N - nature of the work
T - time permission for work can be granted
S - single line working arrangements
Stodge we are loving this one mate! Helped 10 of us out no end in prep for this weeks exam!

And the latest one FTAP....might be worth asking your instructor about that Adam, it was certainly a surprise to me!
FTAPs and the likes are just starting to be mentioned with the new rulebook amendments a couple of days back :)

Toots

Stodge we are loving this one mate! Helped 10 of us out no end in prep for this weeks exam!

FTAPs and the likes are just starting to be mentioned with the new rulebook amendments a couple of days back :)
Well that's good because no-one has said a word to us about it...mind you,you'll get used to being a mushroom ,especially if you are in Signalling's hinterlands ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.