• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Admin Fee from Ircas Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas L

A month ago I was traveling on train back from work, I had unknowingly left my wallet at work and was issued a Unpaid Fare Notice covering the cost of the ticket which I have no problem with and the train conductor couldn't have been more helpful. Due to my very forgetful nature I had lost the ticket with the information to repay on. 4 days after the incident I then phone up GA to get the details to pay this back I was then put though to another company who receives the Notice by this point they had not received any information about my fare as it can take 2 weeks, I then gave my details and they would email me with the details to pay when they received it. I never received the email, recently I have found the slip again and went to pay the outstanding fare and saw I had a £35 admin fee for a tick of £6.10. I had no idea was not told about the 21 day deadline and wouldn't have known without the slip. What are my right to appeal this, as I chased to pay when I lost the ticket and never got any email from them, as I am on a low income living on my own and cant afford to pay this? Please help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ethernet22

The Unpaid Fare Notice says you have 21 days to pay otherwise you must pay a £35 admin fee. If you lost it it's your fault.

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
The fact you had the slip and failed to act on it is all that counts here. I think you are going to have to just pay up, grin and bear it. I can sympathize with your situation but you have to act now or it will just get worse. £35 may seem a lot and on a low income it is but if you look at most posts on this part of the forum it`s quite reasonable really.

GadgetMan

You need to pay this asap. They'll keep adding more admin charges on everytime they issue another reminder. After 3 letters or so it gets escalated to court.

gray1404

Established Member
I second the advise to pay this TODAY! It is really important to get this paid for the reasons already stated, so that further admin charges are not added and so it does not proceed to court. Personally, I would pay up and charge it to experience.

They let you down. They did not keep to the promise made on your phone call to them that they would keep in touch with you. In that regard you do have a valid complaint. However, in all honestly, I am not sure if it is worth your effort complaining to them. You could complain if you wanted and perhaps (although I think unlikely) they might refund the administration fee. I think it should also be possible to complain to Transport Focus if their reply is not satisfactory.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum. I agree with others - pay this asap to avoid it escalating further and chalk it up to experience. You could always then follow up with a complaint to see if they will refund anything.

Darandio

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. I agree with others - pay this asap to avoid it escalating further and chalk it up to experience. You could always then follow up with a complaint to see if they will refund anything.

I'm struggling here, complain about what exactly?

Darandio

Established Member
"I then gave my details and they would email me with the details to pay when they received it. I never received the email,"

I've never seen that offered as an option, ever. The fact is that the OP didn't pay the UFN, it's wholly their fault and there are no grounds to be shifting blame around.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm struggling here, complain about what exactly?

That the OP never received an email or apparently did not receive an explanation about the 21 day deadline.

I don't rate the OP's chances here but if he feels aggrieved then it's far better to pay asap to avoid the matter escalating and then try and see if the TOC will be prepared to refund the admin fee as a gesture of goodwill.

Fare-Cop

If the OP has the notice, which is what I believe is being referred to as 'the slip' the reference to a 21 day deadline is printed on it.

Wombat

I've never seen that offered as an option, ever. The fact is that the OP didn't pay the UFN, it's wholly their fault and there are no grounds to be shifting blame around.
The OP recognised that there was a charge to pay but had mislaid the slip. You could argue that he shouldn't have lost it, which is both true and unhelpful. Under the circumstances described, phoning the TOC is a reasonable action to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.