• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket issued without seat reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcgurk

EDIT: GWR got back to me. Train for which I don’t have a reservation is a “local stopping service” and is non reservable. Fine, that explains lack of reservations.

I now have an additional issue: my advance ticket is in 1st and this train doesn’t offer 1st coaches. I’m wondering how a TOC can sell a first advance ticket for a train without that class of travel with no warning that this is so (I just checked on GWR site and it would happily sell me another ticket without alerting me).

Evening all. Bit of a strange one here: I have purchased an advance ticket for a trip from Cardiff Central to Witham. When the booking confirmation (via Seatfrog) came through, part of the trip didn’t have a seat reservation (see attached) - although this is AFAIK a reservable service.

Seatfrog say talk to GWR.
GWR say talk to Seatfrog.

I’m less worried about having a reservation than I am about being able to travel at all.

Can anyone advise me?

Attachments

• CD3FF204-C84D-4FC9-BEE8-E3112B779F30.jpeg
    CD3FF204-C84D-4FC9-BEE8-E3112B779F30.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
That sounds like a counted place which means you can board the train. It's a different issue if the reservation coupon was missing but this is an e-ticket

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Going out on a bit of a limb - could it be that there's an event on in Cardiff? When this happens, all specific seat reservations are usually binned and there's a queueing system in place.

Some extra trains have already been loaded such as this one, which would suggest it to be the case: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:V15024/2023-02-04/detailed

Haywain

Veteran Member
Going out on a bit of a limb - could it be that there's an event on in Cardiff?
Wales v Ireland (rugby) that day.

RTT shows the train as running to Swindon only, and as a standard class only service. It also shows it mysteriously changing from a class 80x to a 110mph EMU at Bristol Parkway. I suspect it is running as a planned relief service and won't be reserved, with any first class accommodation being declassified.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Wales v Ireland (rugby) that day.
Then there's our answer. I'd suggest that the OP leaves a reasonable amount of time before they leave as it'll be very busy.

Though Cardiff Central are no stranger to these events so I'd imagine it's a fairly slick operation.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Then there's our answer. I'd suggest that the OP leaves a reasonable amount of time before they leave as it'll be very busy.
The egg chasing kicks off at "2.15pm", so getting on to Central station shouldn't be too bad but it will still be very busy.

WizCastro197

Established Member
A
EDIT: GWR got back to me. Train for which I don’t have a reservation is a “local stopping service” and is non reservable. Fine, that explains lack of reservations.

I now have an additional issue: my advance ticket is in 1st and this train doesn’t offer 1st coaches. I’m wondering how a TOC can sell a first advance ticket for a train without that class of travel with no warning that this is so (I just checked on GWR site and it would happily sell me another ticket without alerting me).

Evening all. Bit of a strange one here: I have purchased an advance ticket for a trip from Cardiff Central to Witham. When the booking confirmation (via Seatfrog) came through, part of the trip didn’t have a seat reservation (see attached) - although this is AFAIK a reservable service.

Seatfrog say talk to GWR.
GWR say talk to Seatfrog.

I’m less worried about having a reservation than I am about being able to travel at all.

Can anyone advise me?
Again is it possible First Class has been declassified due to the above events?

Or it has only charged you for the Swindon to London part in First?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the service in question is booked for a 387 which obviously doesn't have First Class?

pmcgurk

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From experience after events at Cardiff the queuing system outside the station is pretty slick but don't expect to travel on your reserved train. They let people onto the platform prior to the train arriving, it's effectively turn up, load and go.

pmcgurk

A

There’s a question. How could I tell, with the bewildering range of fares… does NFM list advance fares too?

Haywain

Veteran Member
From experience after events at Cardiff the queuing system outside the station is pretty slick but don't expect to travel on your reserved train.
Is that likely to be the case almost 3 hours after the end of the event?

There’s a question. How could I tell, with the bewildering range of fares… does NFM list advance fares too?
Advance fares can be found on the BRFares website but you seemed to be asking, at the outset, about a Seatfrog upgrade which won’t be listed.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Depends whether Wales have won!

Being serious, three hours after the event things will be quieter but I'd still expect to queue. Rugby isn't like football, may people will go for a drink or meal after the match rather than just head to the station.

pmcgurk

Advance fares can be found on the BRFares website but you seemed to be asking, at the outset, about a Seatfrog upgrade which won’t be listed.
Entire ticket was purchased on Seatfrog, not just an upgrade. Return journey is Cardiff-Witham, 2 passengers, one with a 16-25 railcard. Price was £145.60 for this trip which appears to correspond to this Advance fare (see picture): £87.60 plus £57.80 (one third off) is £145.40 so I guess that’s the fare that’s been applied. GWR are still happy to sell me a 1st advance at that price - and with no warning that there’s no 1st carriage for the first hour of the journey.

A

It’s charged me for the whole trip in 1st - see my reply to Haywain below.

Attachments

• 3C14538C-5D9C-4D8B-9F60-869D9A1ACA65.jpeg
    3C14538C-5D9C-4D8B-9F60-869D9A1ACA65.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 24

Class800

Established Member
What would happen if the OP was unable to board the correct train on an Advance due to the queue? I know what should happen but in practice? Especially with the parts of the journey further away from Cardiff

Sleepy

Established Member
Entire ticket was purchased on Seatfrog, not just an upgrade. Return journey is Cardiff-Witham, 2 passengers, one with a 16-25 railcard. Price was £145.60 for this trip which appears to correspond to this Advance fare (see picture): £87.60 plus £57.80 (one third off) is £145.40 so I guess that’s the fare that’s been applied. GWR are still happy to sell me a 1st advance at that price - and with no warning that there’s no 1st carriage for the first hour of the journey.

You purchased the tickets from Seatfrog, it is down to them if they want to warn about a leg with no 1st class - GWR themselves certainly do when purchased from them eg. journey from St Ives to Paddington only the train from St Erth has 1st class.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-224250.png
    Screenshot_20221122-224250.png
    260 KB · Views: 16

Haywain

Veteran Member
A through ticket will be charged at the first class rate even if part of the journey does not have first class accommodation.

pmcgurk

You purchased the tickets from Seatfrog, it is down to them if they want to warn about a leg with no 1st class - GWR themselves certainly do when purchased from them eg. journey from St Ives to Paddington only the train from St Erth has 1st class.
GWR’s website does indeed warn. Their own mobile app, however, does not.

I’ve taken this up with Seatfrog as their site gave me no warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.