• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket stock returning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greeby

Earlier this week, the latest edition of the Manual became viewable. I noticed in the section which displays ticket stock types that a new page for Advance Purchase stock (RSP7599/201, to the same design as the old Aptis type) had been added.

Anyone out in booking office-land heard anything more about this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This is interesting. They might want to change the colour of it though, given that season ticket stock is now blue.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
First I've heard of it, wouldn't surprise me if they did reintroduce it though, they could put the basic conditions on it if they did, or is that too forward thinking?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Advance stock used to be dark blue and looking at the FRPP, the stock image is also dark blue. I noted the reservation detail section on the back also, presumably if advance stock returns, this is an error as all Tis print that currently.

snail

Established Member
First I've heard of it, wouldn't surprise me if they did reintroduce it though, they could put the basic conditions on it if they did, or is that too forward thinking?
Careful, that's a dangerous accusation! :lol:

If it happens it has to be better for the hard of thinking to have the train and seat reservations on the same ticket. You would hope it should come with the warning that it is valid only on that train and no other.

Some TVMs have 2 printers, they'd just need to be reprogrammed to only use the correct one. Maybe some of the others have the capacity to be equipped with a second?

Or in the case of hopper-fed machines, just have a second hopper with advance stock, and instruct the machine to pull from that instead of common stock
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i'm going out today, ill ask the person behind the desk if they know anything about it

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can anyone please pull the image from the FRPP and upload it to here?

WillPS

Established Member
I can only see this being a good thing. Can current printers print on the reverse of the ticket?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They are attached to this post

Attachments

• EMBED_390836_03000001_large.gif
    EMBED_390836_03000001_large.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 31
  • EMBED_390836_03000002_large.gif
    EMBED_390836_03000002_large.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 39

lemonic

The problem with that ticket design is that tickets purchased in advance are not necessarily 'Advance' tickets! (Unless they print Off Peak and Anytime tickets purchased in advance on the blue ticket stock but then you wonder what the point is!)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Advance tickets would be the only tickets printed on them as they are the only 'advance purchase' tickets.

AFAIAA ticket printers can only print on one side of ticket stock.

Advance tickets would be the only tickets printed on them as they are the only 'advance purchase' tickets.

AFAIAA ticket printers can only print on one side of ticket stock.

You can buy lots of tickets in advance, not necessariley just Advance type, but if their an advance purchase (i.e. booked online) I assume they will be printed on these.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You can buy lots of tickets in advance, not necessariley just Advance type, but if their an advance purchase (i.e. booked online) I assume they will be printed on these.

I think this type of ticket stock might only be available at stations, and/or possibly through online/telesales fulfilment if the tickets are posted.

As Yorkie earlier intimated, I don't think TVMs will carry this stock.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Before 'Simplification' there were two phrases used to describe tickets, 'Advance Purchase' and 'Walk Up' fares.

'Walk Up' fares were the likes of Saver, Super Saver, Cheap Day, Standard Open, Standard Day, etc.

'Advance Purchase' fares were the likes of Advance, Super Advance, Apex, Value Advance, etc.

'Advance Purchase' has not previously meant 'tickets bought in advance'. (just like 'Single line working' is not the same as 'Working of a single line')

Clip

Established Member
Modern TVMs - The like you find on chiltern and such have the capacity for 3 if not 4 printers. One of these could easily be a dedicated 'advance stock' printer.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I am mildly concerned by the image of the reverse of these "blue" tickets, which seems to list each train. Would "&Connections" trains be listed here, or not?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Until instructions are filtered through and stock distributed, no-one can say for definate. However given that '& Connections' appears in the route and currently no reservation coupons say '& Connections' on them, I'd say the only place you are likely to see '& Connections' is in the route.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Modern TVMs - The like you find on chiltern and such have the capacity for 3 if not 4 printers. One of these could easily be a dedicated 'advance stock' printer.

I didn't know that. It will be interesting to see if it does appear in TVMs though.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am mildly concerned by the image of the reverse of these "blue" tickets, which seems to list each train. Would "&Connections" trains be listed here, or not?

I would imagine that they work in the same way as the original RSP4599/201 stock, and "no" is the answer.

Clip

Established Member
I didn't know that. It will be interesting to see if it does appear in TVMs though.

Indeed. The idea being that with 3 on the go one prints your outward one your return and one your reciept(should you request one) so you dont have to wait for them one at a time like you do with Southeastern TVMs so its speeded up.And the hoppers dont have to be filled up quite so often

bnm

Established Member
These images are not new in NFM10. The same entry showing pictures of RSP 7599/201 is in the current NFM09.

Flamingo

Established Member
If these do come in, with the trains listed on the back, it would make life SOOOOO much easier!

Please let it be true!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If these do come in, with the trains listed on the back, it would make life SOOOOO much easier!

Please let it be true!

I'm sure that most travellers picked at random from the street will be pleased that it will then be one ticket that they have to worry about rather than ticket + reservation coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.