• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for a Tourist visiting York

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoBo30

Hello! I'm planning a trip in September and am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice. My father and I are flying into London and plan to take a train to York for a week's worth of vacationing. My inquiries are threefold:

1) I am vaguely aware of reported problems with overcrowding on UK passenger routes. My father is 70 years old and is the owner of a knee that is well past its prime. I have to avoid putting him in a position where he is standing for 2-3 hours at a time. So far, I have identified the East Coast Mainline as the probable route that we'll take to York. Are there overcrowding problems on this route? If so, what can I do to ensure that my Dad gets a seat? Do I need to spring for something besides the cheapest fare when booking the tickets?

2) My Dad and I are (obviously) big rail fans. I am planning our trip around The Yorkshireman steam excursion on 23 Sept. My thought was to hire a car and chase it from Doncaster into York, photographing it along the way. My Dad and I do this sort of thing often with steam excursions here in the US, but was wondering if this is a feasible thing to do in the UK, especially in that area. If so, are there any do's and don'ts to follow?

3) Finally, what are some "have to do" things in York. We're obviously going to the NRM, Yorkminster, the castle, and the shambles. I also think we'll do the Yorkshire Air Museum, but is there anything else we should do?

I thank you so much in advance and await your advice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)
Hello! I'm planning a trip in September and am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice. My father and I are flying into London and plan to take a train to York for a week's worth of vacationing. My inquiries are threefold:

1) I am vaguely aware of reported problems with overcrowding on UK passenger routes. My father is 70 years old and is the owner of a knee that is well past its prime. I have to avoid putting him in a position where he is standing for 2-3 hours at a time. So far, I have identified the East Coast Mainline as the probable route that we'll take to York. Are there overcrowding problems on this route? If so, what can I do to ensure that my Dad gets a seat? Do I need to spring for something besides the cheapest fare when booking the tickets?
Obtain a seat reservation. It is unlikely that seat reservations would not be honoured (due to disruption) but in the very unlikely event that there are no seat reservations in place, and no alternative seat can be found, you'd get the cost of the ticket back.

Reservations are currently open for most dates in September.

Do you know yet when you are travelling?
2) My Dad and I are (obviously) big rail fans. I am planning our trip around The Yorkshireman steam excursion on 23 Sept. My thought was to hire a car and chase it from Doncaster into York, photographing it along the way. My Dad and I do this sort of thing often with steam excursions here in the US, but was wondering if this is a feasible thing to do in the UK, especially in that area. If so, are there any do's and don'ts to follow?
Until timings are known (someone may have an idea of the likely path) it is difficult to say, but I can't really see this being feasible, unless it stops for water or pathing reasons for an extended time.

If you hire a bus, or get an infrequent bus, Colton Junction (map) is a popular location (it may be impossible to park near the junction when a railtour is due though). A popular station to see trains is Church Fenton (map), you can get the train between York & Church Fenton, but they are relatively infrequent by UK standards.

3) Finally, what are some "have to do" things in York. We're obviously going to the NRM, Yorkminster, the castle, and the shambles. I also think we'll do the Yorkshire Air Museum, but is there anything else we should do?

See http://www.visityork.org/seeanddo/

Depends what you want to do but Jorvik Viking Centre, York Dungeon, Yorkshire Museum etc are popular. A hot air balloon ride may be nice if your budget suits and if the weather is OK.

You can walk along most of the walls. They close at dusk. You could start near the station (see map) and go either clockwise or anti-clockwise.

As for less well known attractions, a tour of the York cold war bunker may be worth considering; if you do that then it's also worth seeing Holgate Windmill (5 min walk from the bunker) if you can find a day when they are both open.

You may also want to consider a walk through Rowntree Park, over the Millenium Bridge, and along the other side of the river (map).

You could have a meal at The Sidings (menu / map).

You could get a bus to Pickering and do the North Yorkshire Moors railway as far as Grosmont or even Whitby (if the timetable allows when you visit). You can go back the same way from Whitby, or you can take a bus back to York, or the regular train via Middlesbrough, which is very slow but only costs £13.90 single if you avoid travelling via Darlington. Or do the above in the reverse direction.

HoBo30

Thank you so much, Yorkie! The plan is to arrive in London on 21 Sept and immediately catch a train to York. We'll travel back to London on the 26th and fly out the next day.

I want to do the Viking Centre and Yorkshire Museum. Is the Dungeon an actual historical thing, or a tourist trap-type attraction?

James Wake

Welcome to the forum!

I will be on a railway holiday around the country on 17th-23rd September, and I'm probably going to pass through York on the 23rd, so I might see the Yorkshireman too.

There are two train operators between London Kings Cross and York, that is Virgin Trains East Coast and Grand Central. Depending on which airport you are flying into and out of and at what times, we can perhaps give some advice with the best tickets to get as well between London and York.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Firstly, very sensible choice. York and the Yorkshire area are wonderful . i Lived there for a long time;)

You will be fine. There is overcrowding at times but most often on commuter routes, at peak hours or on services where the trains simply aren't up to the job. If you avoid the rush hour and any obvious high days and holidays you will have no troubles. There are lots of service to York. Some are fast and some stop at lots of stations. The journey will be about 2 hours. I guess there is a chance you may use Grand Central rather than Virgin to York. They are also very comfortable but they run less often.

If you buy an advance ticket that will come with a seat reservation. If you buy an open ( perhaps on the day ticket is a better name) you should ask at the station to book you a seat at the same time. Try for a table seat if you can but all the seats are comfortable and certainly better than any plane.

If all else fails Virgin (who run the East Coast services) often have a non reserved carriage with free seats. Ask at Kings Cross where you board and the staff will help. If you can (much as this injuries by egalitarian principles ;) ) consider first class. It is nice on East Coast and comes with some free food and drinks.

I don't know your budget but if you are doing lots of rail travel you might consider a Britrail pass. This is a ticket with wide validity and designed for visitors to our country who want to travel by train.

It might be difficult on the stretch between Doncaster and York ( plus the routing might not be by the obvious route and may not be known until very close to the day). Colton Junction just outside York is a good bet for pictures.

However, why photograph steam trains when you can ride on the real thing? Close to York are several preserved railways. The best are the North Yorks Moors Railway or the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. They can be reached by public transport or by hiring a car. My preference would be the NYMR. You could even take the stream train from Pickering to Whitby. It is well worth it even if it seems expensive. ( I might be biased!)

NOTE - the NYMR can be reached at Grosmont by train from York but it is not a direct route, will eat into your day and while it is for large parts a very pleasant scenic journey it is slow. A bus form York to Pickering ( Coastliner 840/843?) or a car are better options.

See here: https://www.nymr.co.uk/

it depends on the length of your stay, how far you want to travel and whether you would take a hire car. You could try a coach tour like this one: https://www.grandyorkshire.com/ if you don't fancy driving but do also think about getting out of York. There is so much to see.

I am sure you will want to spend ages looking round the NRM (and also the nearby railway station which is superb) and the obvious tourist sites linked to above. The minster is wonderful and i would recommend a trip around some of the walls. I might also suggest Bettys tea room for afternoon tea. Cliffords Tower is also nice but there are other castles in the area that are better like Helmsley. ( take a look at https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ & http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/)

If you have a car try and take a drive out onto the Moors. You may the TV show Heartbeat. That was filmed in North Yorkshire and often on the NYMR referred to above. Or head the other way to the Dales and perhaps take a look at Fountains Abbey. Castle Howard is nearby ( as seen in Brideshead Revisited) and which was allegedly the inspiration for Downton Abbey (which was filmed in the area - if not at Castle Howard)

let us know how long you are in York for and if you are happy to drive and we can look at some kind of tour route. It is a wonderful part of the country with so much to see and so much history.

I am sure you will have a great time

Last edited:

StarCrossing

I second the suggestion to visit the York Cold War Bunker, which is fascinating. They do tours at various times of the day. When I went, I was the only person to turn up for the first tour of the day, and so I had a private tour for the usual price. From memory, it's about a mile from the station.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Coming all the way from Amercialand to visit one of the most historic cites in the UK. A city founded in 71 AD and full of unique historic buildings and artifacts and we are suggesting a visit to a bunker.....................

I am sure the bunker is interesting but I am not sure it is even in the top 3 divisions of things to look at in York and Yorkshire. Goodness me we can offer a better view of York surely?

gazthomas

Established Member
1) If you buy an advanced ticket, or make a seat reservation with a flexible ticket you should be fine.

2) Doncaster to York is a really short distance so in my view it's a waste of a hire car. Why not book to go on the tour to get to York? (and not return?)

3) As you say the NRM and the Minster are must haves. I would also recommend the Jorvik viking centre and if your Father is okay for a walk, a walking tour of the city - the Roman and/or Ghost tours are excellent. I would recommend a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway too without hesitation - get a bus to Pickering

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's also possible to request a priority seat (extra legroom) and special assistance (someone to help you to and from the train) at no extra cost if you need them. If booking an Advance ticket, particularly for travel in the middle of the day, you may find first class costs not much more and may even be cheaper. That gives you more room and depending on operator may include some sort of free refreshment.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Your feedback is noted.

Everyone has different interests.

Indeed - I simply suggest that for what might be a once in a life time opportunity for the OP to visit York there are better things to look at both in the city and in the surrounding area.

If you knew York and had visited many times it is certainly something different. I would happily visit and may well do on my next trip up.

The Ghost Bus Tour is something I've not done, but would be tempted to do one day. I often see the bus! You can get it half-price (on production of a train ticket to York), see: https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ghost-bus-tours-york

I wouldn't waste money on ghost tours mainly because ghosts don't exist so you wont see much ;)

(although if the history part of the tour is accurate it could be very informative)

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
Indeed - I simply suggest that for what might be a once in a life time opportunity for the OP to visit York there are better things to look at both in the city and in the surrounding area.

If you knew York and had visited many times it is certainly something different. I would happily visit and may well do on my next trip up.

I wouldn't waste money on ghost tours mainly because ghosts don't exist so you wont see much ;)

(although if the history part of the tour is accurate it could be very informative)
Yes, the history part was excellent!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Driving from Doncaster to York on a route close enough to the railway to see the passing train is not straightforward, and pretty much impossible to do in a time that would beat the train, even a steam one.

Other suggestions:

A 'cruise' on the River Ouse is a good way to see parts of the city from a different perspective https://www.yorkboat.co.uk

A day trip to Scarborough (by train of course) to get a taste of the good old British seaside.

Or you could do what an increasing proportion of York visitors do, and get hammered by crawling around the numerous pubs and bars.

HoBo30

I'd like to thank all of you for your very helpful replies. The NYMR sounds very nice. We'll have to add it to the itinerary!

So we've had a slight change of plans and are now flying into and out of Leeds, connecting via Amsterdam. Google assures me that there are plenty of rail and bus transit options available.

The Cold War Bunker does sound very interesting, but I feel that there's probably something similar here in the States that I could do one day. For example, I hope to visit a deactivated Minuteman ICBM in South Dakota when I make a trip out west next year.

The Ghost Tour sounds very interesting as well.

Besides Betty's for tea, where are the good spots to eat?

Again, thank you so much for your hospitality and suggestions.

James Wake

From Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA) there are several bus links to surrounding towns/cities with railway stations. These are Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate. Information on the buses is here:

http://www.flyingtigerbus.co.uk/

Your best bet is to go to Leeds in my opinion as it has the greatest number of trains to York of the three. The return fare on the bus from the airport to Leeds is £6, which you can use for your return as well as it is valid for up to 28 days.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
So we've had a slight change of plans and are now flying into and out of Leeds, connecting via Amsterdam. Google assures me that there are plenty of rail and bus transit options available.

What time of day are you travelling? Leeds-York could gets busy at some times of day and certain trains aren't reservable. Perhaps any regular commuters on here could suggest what times it might be difficult to get a seat.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd like to thank all of you for your very helpful replies. The NYMR sounds very nice. We'll have to add it to the itinerary!

The Cold War Bunker does sound very interesting, but I feel that there's probably something similar here in the States that I could do one day. For example, I hope to visit a deactivated Minuteman ICBM in South Dakota when I make a trip out west next year.

The Ghost Tour sounds very interesting as well.

Besides Betty's for tea, where are the good spots to eat?

Again, thank you so much for your hospitality and suggestions.

that gives you even more time in York!

Leeds Bradford airport doesn't have a railway station (yet) but there is a bus link to Leeds. There are about 560000 trains per hour between Leeds and York and the journey takes about 30 minutes. You might have trouble at peak times as the trains are very busy ( and too small) and not all the local trains allow you to reserve a seat. Let us know your rough times and we can advise further.

I cant really tell you about the bus link as when I lived in York I always drove to the airport. I am sure others can advise on options. I think the bus is called the flying tiger and has "plane" route numbers like 747/757. I am not sure how much baggage you will have or where you will stay in York ( assuming a self organised trip rather than a tour package) but it might be worth asking the hotel for advice on a transfer. One of the better hotels should be able to arrange a car/taxi for you which might make your arrival a bit easier.

if you do have a chance to ride on the NYMR try and make a whole day out of it and go all the way to Whitby: https://www.visitwhitby.com/ It is a lovely little seaside town ( where Count Dracula landed) and sells the best fish and chips, (a British institution which i think it is a legal requirement to consume at the seaside ;) ) in the known world.

I wonder if you or your dad would also want to sample a British pint of beer - York is well served for that kind of thing ( and has a very popular reputation for lively weekend partying) but there are lots of quiet pubs. Try a York brewery one like the 3 legged mare just along from the minster.

Food wise it really depends on your tastes and budget. I always liked the The Blue Bicycle or El Piano or the House of the Trembling Madness for something a bit off the wall! Someone still local will be able to give you a better steer.

I hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:

HoBo30

that gives you even more time in York!

Leeds Bradford airport doesn't have a railway station (yet) but there is a bus link to Leeds. There are about 560000 trains per hour between Leeds and York and the journey takes about 30 minutes. You might have trouble at peak times as the trains are very busy ( and too small) and not all the local trains allow you to reserve a seat. Let us know your rough times and we can advise further.

The flight to Leeds lands at 9:50 AM. So, by the time we go through customs, gather luggage, and take the bus into the city, it might be 11:00-11:30 AM I'm guessing? On the way back, we're going to spend the night before in Leeds and go to the Royal Armouries Museum, then fly out the next morning.

. . . and sells the best fish and chips, (a British institution which i think it is a legal requirement to consume at the seaside ;) ) in the known world.

At the risk of being refused entry to the country, I have to confess that I'm not that big on seafood (except for shrimp and grits, but that's only because I've spent a lot of time in the South!), but I guess I'll step out of my comfort zone while visiting a foreign country and give it a go!

I wonder if you or your dad would also want to sample a British pint of beer - York is well served for that kind of thing ( and has a very popular reputation for lively weekend partying) but there are lots of quiet pubs. Try a York brewery one like the 3 legged mare just along from the minster.

Dad not so much, but I'm always down for a beer. Will keep this in mind.

Food wise it really depends on your tastes and budget. I always liked the The Blue Bicycle or El Piano or the House of the Trembling Madness for something a bit off the wall! Someone still local will be able to give you a better steer.

I'll pretty much eat anything (except a ton of seafood), but would like to try the traditional local fare. That is, I can get burgers and BBQ here at home, and I'll go to Italy for pasta, etc. Budget wise, it's not much of a concern, but am probably not looking to eat anywhere a coat and tie is required, if that makes sense.

I hope you have a great trip!

Thank you! Y'all have been so helpful!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The flight to Leeds lands at 9:50 AM. So, by the time we go through customs, gather luggage, and take the bus into the city, it might be 11:00-11:30 AM I'm guessing? On the way back, we're going to spend the night before in Leeds and go to the Royal Armouries Museum, then fly out the next morning.

You will be fine. That is well out of peak times and even if you did have to stand the train journey between Leeds and York is short.

At the risk of being refused entry to the country, I have to confess that I'm not that big on seafood (except for shrimp and grits, but that's only because I've spent a lot of time in the South!), but I guess I'll step out of my comfort zone while visiting a foreign country and give it a go!

Dont think seafood, odd as that sounds. It might be fish (and it should be Cod or Haddock) but it is a white fish fillet battered and deep fried and served with thick chips. It should be served fresh and hot and drenched in salt and vinegar. You should also get a pot of mushy peas!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

(apparently fish-and-chip outlets sell roughly 25% of all the white fish consumed in the United Kingdom, and 10% of all potatoes! We eat a lot of fish and chips!)

Dad not so much, but I'm always down for a beer. Will keep this in mind.

There are plenty of nice, quiet old style pubs in York where you can sit and have a quiet pint. There are also lots of lively bars. Friday and Saturday nights are busy (like any city) but other times are fine

I'll pretty much eat anything (except a ton of seafood), but would like to try the traditional local fare. That is, I can get burgers and BBQ here at home, and I'll go to Italy for pasta, etc. Budget wise, it's not much of a concern, but am probably not looking to eat anywhere a coat and tie is required, if that makes sense.

You want a Yorkshire pudding then ;)

Last edited:

HoBo30

Thank y'all again for your help. We're a week away from departure and I'm very excited. We're going to do the NYMR all the way to Whitby on the 25th. A quick question, though -- when I bought the tickets online, I purchased "return" tickets (which I assume are what we'd call "round trip" tickets here in the U.S.) and selected a train from Pickering to Whitby, but was not given the opportunity to select a return train. Are the tickets open-ended, meaning we can hop on any return train we like?

Also, are there taxis in Whitby? We want to visit the abbey, but I'm sure Dad can't do the 199 steps with his knee. My thought was to pack him in a cab from the station while I walk the steps. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thank y'all again for your help. We're a week away from departure and I'm very excited. We're going to do the NYMR all the way to Whitby on the 25th. A quick question, though -- when I bought the tickets online, I purchased "return" tickets (which I assume are what we'd call "round trip" tickets here in the U.S.) and selected a train from Pickering to Whitby, but was not given the opportunity to select a return train. Are the tickets open-ended, meaning we can hop on any return train we like?

Also, are there taxis in Whitby? We want to visit the abbey, but I'm sure Dad can't do the 199 steps with his knee. My thought was to pack him in a cab from the station while I walk the steps. Thanks!

Yes, there are taxis in Whitby - you can find one just about anywhere in the country.

DerekC

Established Member

To answer your other question - yes, a return ticket will have an open return so you can get on any train you like.

Somewhere in the suggestions for eateries was a recommendation for "The Sidings" - I would really suggest you try this one. You get to sit in a railway carriage with a great view of all four tracks of the East Coast Main Line about 4 miles north of York. You need to book, though. The website is here:

http://thesidingshotel.co.uk/

Anyway have a great time! And if you get bored in York (unlikely) go see the Yorkshire Dales (Herriot Country)

Veteran Member
Yes, there are taxis in Whitby - you can find one just about anywhere in the country.

There is also the open top bus, thouh as you will see from the timetable and map it inconveniently does its circular route the wrong way round for your plan! However, if Dad can manage the level stroll along the harbourside (well worth it, stop at chippy compulsory en route), then he can join the bus at the Bandstand while you walk.

http://www.coastalandcountry.co.uk/openTopCoach.html

If you get a wet day (and, let's be honest, this is not outside the bounds of possibility in Yorkshire!) I would recommend the Castle Museum. This is housed in the former Debtor's Prison and some of the cells have been preserved (including the one said to have been occupied by the highwayman, Dick Turpin). There are also a number of reconstructed streets from days gone by, but the entire museum is almost entirely under cover.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is also the open top bus, thouh as you will see from the timetable and map it inconveniently does its circular route the wrong way round for your plan! However, if Dad can manage the level stroll along the harbourside (well worth it, stop at chippy compulsory en route), then he can join the bus at the Bandstand while you walk.

http://www.coastalandcountry.co.uk/openTopCoach.html

that is a good idea actually! ( IF the weather is good!)

The OP may ( or may not know) that the Whitby & the abbey helped inspire Bram Stoker's Dracula: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/learn/story-of-england/victorian/dracula-whitby/

English Heritage:
While staying in Whitby, Stoker would have heard of the shipwreck five years earlier of a Russian vessel called the Dmitry, from Narva. This ran aground on Tate Hill Sands below East Cliff, carrying a cargo of silver sand. With a slightly rearranged name, this became the Demeter from Varna that carries Dracula to Whitby with a cargo of silver sand and boxes of earth.

The log charts the gradual disappearance of the entire crew during the journey to Whitby, until only the captain is left, tied to the wheel, as the ship runs aground below East Cliff on 8 August – the date that marked Stoker’s discovery of the name ‘Dracula’ in Whitby library. A ‘large dog’ bounds from the wreck and runs up the 199 steps to the church, and from this moment, things begin to go horribly wrong. Dracula has arrived …

Please bear in mind that North Yorkshire in September can be "changeable" weather wise so take a rain coat and layers you can take on or off! It is also on the North Sea coast and on a bad day can be foul yet on a nice day be as nice as anywhere in the world.

if it is nice you might want to have a trip on a boat out into the sea. The old lifeboat, The Mary Anne Hepworth, is a nice historic vessel (http://www.oldlifeboatwhitby.co.uk/homenew.htm). You might also like to have a wander along the qauy and take a look at the small RNLI Lifeboat Museum (https://rnli.org/find-my-nearest/museums/whitby-lifeboat-museum)

perhaps you could get your fish and chips and an ice cream on the way!

As an aside the RNLI ( Royal National Lifeboat Institution) is a Charity funded entirely by donation rather than, say, a coast guard funded by government. The crews are all volunteers and do a remarkable & brave job saving people in difficulty on the sea

Last edited:

HoBo30

I'd like to thank you all again for your help in planning our trip. Now that I've been back awhile, I thought I'd share some thoughts and photos that I took along the way.

First, I was not impressed with Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. The low hanging, unfinished ceilings left me with the impression that they were in the middle of a construction project. Only after walking around for a bit did I realize that that's just the way it is. It was odd. But more importantly, the concourse we were on was bereft of signage. There were no departure or arrival boards anywhere. The gate attendant at our flight from Detroit gave us the wrong gate number for the flight to Leeds, and there was no signage, so we just wondered around for bit before asking for help. It was odd.

Second, UK border agents are much more friendly than US or Canadian border agents. I wasn't made to feel like a criminal while going through customs, so that was nice.

We took the Flying Tiger 747 from the airport to Leeds city center, then the train from Leeds to York. Had no problems with either service.

After taking a short nap after checking into the hotel, I decided to walk around the city for a bit. I stopped into the Walgate Ale House for a pint. It was quiet, so I sat and read the local paper for a bit. A story bemoaning the increase in average cost for a pint of bitters to over £3 was of great amusement to me.

The first two full days were spent at the Yorkshire Museum and York Minster:

37074012494_4b29f0845a_z.jpg

37074010034_f217fae2b2_z.jpg

37074007034_738dfe6b3a_z.jpg
DSC_0110+[/url] by Adam Zwicker, on Flickr[/IMG]
37074007034_738dfe6b3a_z.jpg

37113521463_ebd46a5117_z.jpg

37113551643_7f0ccaeac9_z.jpg

York Minster was wonderful. We made it to evensong one evening, and it was superb. The guided tour was also well worth the price of admission. I especially liked the intact dragon where one's sins went after confession. Walking atop the city walls also provided nice views of the cityscape.

After the Minster, we caught an uber to the edge of town to watch the Union of South Africa pull the Yorkshireman excursion into the city. We waited along the line for approximately an hour and caught a good deal of traffic going in and out of the city before the steamer showed up:

37734631456_fe271a3e85_z.jpg

I only got one decent shot of the Union of South Africa, and it isn't very good, but I guess I can now say that I've seen an A4 in steam:

37734629486_43c8739a4d_z.jpg

The National Railway Museum is top-notch. The ambulance train exhibit was especially interesting. Sitting in Mallard's cab and looking through the narrow view that Joe Duddington had while on the record setting run was quite eye-opening:

37751801232_0026abd083_z.jpg

We took a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to Whitby. We took the Coastliner 840 from York to Pickering, the train from Pickering to Whitby, and the Coastliner from Whitby back to York. The NYMR was absolutely perfect. The trip to Pickering and Whitby was my favorite part of the trip:

37074104854_16cb879cea_z.jpg

37783757961_ef81f329d0_z.jpg

37783755621_1bf3fa4cc7_z.jpg

37525255090_708a58edc0_z.jpg

23930823368_b80ca33082_z.jpg

37525250850_4b9d7c4600_z.jpg

After visiting Whitby, I read Dracula. When I got to the parts set in Whitby, I could see in my mind's eye Stoker's descriptions of the town as if I was there. The abbey, the walk along the river, and the 199 steps were wonderful. I got a jet necklace for the girlfriend, which she likes very much. I think the NYMR and Whitby are what will stick with me from this trip the most.

The trip back from Whitby will also stick we me. The dusk, driving over the Moors, the heather, and the remoteness of the place made it like passing through an alien landscape. It was kind of haunting, but in an intriguing way.

We spent the last day in Leeds and went to the Royal Armouries Museum before flying out the next morning. We were treated to a live re-enactment of a Viking/Saxon duel circa 800 AD, which was quite good.

Also, the food was quite good. There was a food and drink festival going on in York, so we sampled a number of Yorkshire puddings, which were quite delicious. Dad was last in the UK over 30 years ago, and mentioned before we left that he was not holding much hope for the food, but was pleasantly surprised by the local fare. I drank my fill of local brews and he stuck to cider, which suited us both.

As an aside, a common thing that I've noticed here is that when Americans converse with British tourists, they inevitably ask some variation of "How do you like the United States?" (at least around Metro Detroit they do). The exact same thing happened in reverse to me a number of times, which I found pleasantly amusing.

In the end, the trip is best summed up by the exchange I had with a security screener at the airport before leaving. He asked if I'd ever consider coming back to England. Without hesitating, I said yes.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Glad you enjoyed your trip :)

Which pubs and restaurants did you visit and what did you think of them?
After the Minster, we caught an uber to the edge of town to watch the Union of South Africa pull the Yorkshireman excursion into the city. We waited along the line for approximately an hour and caught a good deal of traffic going in and out of the city before the steamer showed up:

I only got one decent shot of the Union of South Africa, and it isn't very good, but I guess I can now say that I've seen an A4 in steam:
I know this venue well, having been to that Tesco a number of times. I'd never take a photo there though! (partly due to poor view and partly because I would be recognised ;))

No need to get an Uber there; there are frequent buses costing much less (and buses will be quicker than Uber as Uber at busy times as Uber can't use bus lanes)!

For those who aren't on a tight budget, I'd recommend an Uber or taxi to Colton Junction, or perhaps Copmanthorpe.

Status
Not open for further replies.