• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for used car, fiesta or seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Ah, it's inside the engine with oil lubricating it in some form. What a rubbish idea.
I agree, it is a stupid idea, the later 1.8tdci had a lower wet belt as well. I've had 2 Fiestas, the second did 173k miles in 12 years and apart from a couple of broken road springs and the battery packing up after a few years the only other problem I had was when the immobiliser started kicking in when it shouldn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
If I was going for an older car that I didn't want to need expensive repairs I would go for a normally aspirated petrol, as a turbo is just another thing to blow up.

For a cambelt? Where on earth have they put it?

I guess you'd get it done for less at a non-main-dealer, but this points to silly design.

If it's been well looked after turbos don't really blow up.
Engines like the VW PD have a very good reputation for reliability.

A0wen

On Moderation
With an older used car that's a big "if".

Not with most petrol turbos - they are relatively light pressure and not put to that much work.

With performance cars - such as the older Imprezas for example, there was a case for concern because often the cars had been driven hard and you needed to give time for the turbo to cool before shutting off, but with a bog standard Focus, Astra etc, that's not a concern.

Diesels are more problematic because you tend to get problems with the Dual Mass Flywheel (in the clutch) or the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve which can in turn affect the turbo - the Vauxhall / Fiat 1.9 diesel engine was notorious for EGR problems which then caused problems with the turbo and intercoolers.

talldave

Established Member
If going for Fiesta, I'd be looking at the top spec Titanium or Vignale models as they're more likely to have been privately owned and cared for and less likely to have been abused as part of a hire company's fleet.

D365

Veteran Member
I have heard the Fiesta Ecoboosts are ones to avoid from someone for reliablity.
My parents have an Econetic. Essentially an Ecoboost without turbo, albeit this limits the power output to 80hp.

A0wen

On Moderation
My parents have an Econetic. Essentially an Ecoboost without turbo, albeit this limits the power output to 80hp.

That's absolutely incorrect I'm afraid.

The Econetic badge started being used by Ford *long* before the 1.0 Ecoboost engines came on the market (2007 vs 2012).

Econetics were usually diesels and had various changes - not just to the engines - to reduce their CO2 output. It was the same approach as VW's Bluemotion.

The non Ecoboost 1.1 petrol engine used by Ford is one of their Duratec family of engines. It's not related to the Ecoboost engines in any way.

D365

Veteran Member
That's absolutely incorrect I'm afraid.

The Econetic badge started being used by Ford *long* before the 1.0 Ecoboost engines came on the market (2007 vs 2012).

Econetics were usually diesels and had various changes - not just to the engines - to reduce their CO2 output. It was the same approach as VW's Bluemotion.

The non Ecoboost 1.1 petrol engine used by Ford is one of their Duratec family of engines. It's not related to the Ecoboost engines in any way.
According to Wikipedia, their 13 plate 1.0 petrol is "a naturally aspirated version of the same [EcoBoost] engine". The car has an 'Econetic' badge on the back.

A0wen

On Moderation
According to Wikipedia, their 13 plate 1.0 petrol is "a naturally aspirated version of the same [EcoBoost] engine". The car has an 'Econetic' badge on the back.

There are some differences of opinion to Wiki - this site clearly states 1.0 80ps Duratec.

Either way the Econetic badge predates the Ecoboost by over 5 years and *most* Econetic's which have been sold are diesels of varying types.

D365

Veteran Member
There are some differences of opinion to Wiki - this site clearly states 1.0 80ps Duratec.
But my parents’ car has the ’Econetic’ badge despite being a petrol. Strange.

In any case, they opted for it instead of the Ecoboost because of the aforementioned reliability concerns.

A0wen

On Moderation
But my parents’ car has the ’Econetic’ badge despite being a petrol. Strange.

In any case, they opted for it instead of the Ecoboost because of the aforementioned reliability concerns.

As I explained, the Econetic badge was introduced to various models (including Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo) as a lower Co2 version, largely aimed at the company car market where the Benefit in Kind (BiK) tax is based on the Co2 output.

It tended to include other changes, such as 'stop start' technology, different wheel / tyre combinations and even bodykit changes.

It was no different to Volkswagen's "Bluemotion', Skoda's "Greenline" or Vauxhall's "Ecoflex" badging.

Status
Not open for further replies.