• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on Polish domestic sleeper trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I’m planning to book a journey on a domestic Polish sleeper train and I’m trying to understand the supplement for each different type of sleeping accommodation on board.

The journey is for a family of five from Gdansk to Krakow on TLK 53172 (‘Rozewie’).

It’s for travel in April so booking hasn’t opened yet, but by running dummy bookings for sooner dates I’ve managed to ascertain the following 'per room' supplement rates:

4-berth couchette – 276 PLN
3-berth compartment – 237 PLN
2-berth compartment – 318 PLN
1-berth compartment – 299 PLN

… but this doesn’t seem right to me. Either the 3-berth or the 2-berth price seems an anomaly, as there’s surely no motivation to book a 2-berth when a 3-berth is cheaper (and the compartments are identical).

I emailed the PKP helpdesk and they confirmed the above prices, though I don’t know if the person who answered had just run a dummy booking and come to the same conclusions as I had.

I suspect the answer is ‘sometimes train fares are irrational’ but I thought I’d ask here first in case anybody has any special insight. Or indeed, can point me in the direction of the RailPL forums!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Does sole use require a 1st class ticket, perhaps? Common in Central Europe.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
… but this doesn’t seem right to me. Either the 3-berth or the 2-berth price seems an anomaly, as there’s surely no motivation to book a 2-berth when a 3-berth is cheaper (and the compartments are identical).
Looking at seat61 for other Polish sleeper routes, the prices seem to be correct - 2 sleeper is dearer than 3 per person. Also, the newest PKP sleeping cars have dedicated 2-bed sleepers which are termed "deluxe" as they have a TV and more comfortable berths.

The 3-bed compartments meanwhile can be sold as 1, 2 or 3 person occupancy if required.

SandsofEss

Thank you all for reviewing.

The 'Deluxe' sleeper explanation makes sense. I suspect that tips the balance in favour of sole use of a couchette (and the inevitable bad night's sleep that follows)

Alfonso

Thank you all for reviewing.

The 'Deluxe' sleeper explanation makes sense. I suspect that tips the balance in favour of sole use of a couchette (and the inevitable bad night's sleep that follows)
A family of five won't fit in a four berth couchette so you might want to go for two three berth sleepers, even if you need the buy an extra ghost child ticket for exclusive use

Polrail

The PKP domestic supplements currently are (per person):

Single sleeper 299 zł.
Double sleeper 159 zł.
Triple sleeper 79 zł.
3- or 4-person couchette compartment 69 zł. (note: sleeping cars are used for 3-person couchettes)
6-person couchette compartment 59 zł.

A first class ticket is required for booking a Single compartment.

There are no deluxe compartments sold in domestic trains.

The price of the 2nd class ticket to accompanying the reservation will vary, depending on how early you purchase the ticket.

SandsofEss

The PKP domestic supplements currently are (per person):

Single sleeper 299 zł.
Double sleeper 159 zł.
Triple sleeper 79 zł.
3- or 4-person couchette compartment 69 zł. (note: sleeping cars are used for 3-person couchettes)
6-person couchette compartment 59 zł.

A first class ticket is required for booking a Single compartment.

There are no deluxe compartments sold in domestic trains.

The price of the 2nd class ticket to accompanying the reservation will vary, depending on how early you purchase the ticket.
Thank you Polrail. That's helpful confirmation.

In that case, it does indeed appear cheaper to book six tickets with two triple sleepers, rather than five tickets with one triple and one double.

I don't understand the logic, but that may be a failure of my imagination.

Polrail

In that case, it does indeed appear cheaper to book six tickets with two triple sleepers, rather than five tickets with one triple and one double.

If the train you are looking at has the option of 3-person couchette compartments, would be your cheapest option, as the equipment is exactly the same as the sleeper! (I don't get the logic either, as the sleepers often sell out, and they could sell this as more expensive sleeper space!)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Where are the deluxe sleepers sold? Which routes? I did Warsaw to Vienna last year and it wasn’t an option.

Polrail

Where are the deluxe sleepers sold? Which routes? I did Warsaw to Vienna last year and it wasn’t an option.

At the moment I believe the Deluxe is available to Vienna (PKP car) and to Prague (CD car).

SandsofEss

If the train you are looking at has the option of 3-person couchette compartments, would be your cheapest option, as the equipment is exactly the same as the sleeper! (I don't get the logic either, as the sleepers often sell out, and they could sell this as more expensive sleeper space!)
Thank you. It doesn't appear so on dummy bookings, but I'll see what my options are when the booking window opens.

You sound like an expert on Polish railways. Do you mind if I ask you another question?

Our original plan was to take the Karpaty sleeper from Gdansk to Zakopane. But I found a timetable that suggests this train will only run as far as Krakow in April, changing to a replacement bus at 4am.

Zakopane is still our destination, but I don't fancy a 4am change. Is it likely that we will be able to book a through ticket on the Karpaty but take a later bus? Do the sleeper carriages get left in Krakow Glowny until later in the morning (so we can sleep until say 6?)?

I appreciate you may not know, but thought I'd ask!

Polrail

There is a timetable revision taking effect on 13 March, so the final version of March-June timetable should be in place 21 days earlier (about 20 Feb.).

There is engineering work taking place on the Zakopane line, and as I understand it, through IC trains will not return until June, in time for the summer season.

Do the sleeper carriages get left in Krakow Glowny until later in the morning (so we can sleep until say 6?)?

Unfortunately, no. You'll be turfed out upon arrival!

I just checked to confirm, and Deluxe sleepers (with shower and en suite WC) can be booked on the PKP car to Vienna (with 1 or 2 beds) and in the CD car to Prague (with 1, 2 or 3 beds).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.