• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan567

Hi Guys/Girls, I'm Dan and I've recently applied for a position at preston through Network rail as a grade 2 signaller, I had to do an SJT test online and now my application on their website says "invite to assessment pending" does this mean I will be Invited to the assessment?

If so any tips and advice for getting through the assessment would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks very much
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi just a quick update, I've just recieved a telephone call from network rail, I have an assessment at 10.30am on Friday the 22nd August at square one in Manchester, my god can't actually believe I've got this far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anouther quick update, I have recieved an email today asking me if I was aware the job I have applied for is at Kirby thore near Penrith, I logged onto my network rail account and the job clearly states it's Preston,GB.
So I contacted them back to inform them that the job is advertised as Preston(department description- OB LOM PR) to be informed that the hiring manager has made a mistake on the location and it's took them 6 weeks to realise/notice it and would I be interested in still going ahead with it? I said No! As traveling a 100 mile each way to work just isn't viable, so I'm abit gutted but I guess mistakes happen.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

This might be a bit late, but I would advise reconsidering. Getting into signalling is an incredible start in a great company. The best thing about getting your foot in the door is that it gives you access to the internal job list.

I moved to take my first signalling post, and after 6 months in that post, I'm back in London in a high grade box.

I don't know if you have things tying you to Preston, but 6 months away is, to me, a small sacrifice for an amazing career.

Dan567

Hi,I fully agree with what your saying and i am gutted i've had to pass the the opportunity,but i'm married, me and the wife discussed it,she works in Manchester,if the job would of been in Yorkshire or Manchester way i would of still gone for it with a view of relocating,but Cumbria is the wrong end of the country for us.

thanks
Dan

TomBoyd

The problem is that the high grade Manchester jobs are unlikely to ever go on the external job list. You need to get yourself in the company...

Dan567

I agree, a job has come up as a operative(welding/grinding) at Preston, which I applied for yesterday and have just done my online tests today, ok it's not signalling but it will hopefully be a entry route into the rail industry, I currently work as a fully qualified Automotive panel technician(Panel beater)so have a lot of experience in metal work and welding/grinding although it will probably be very different, I would assume the principles are the same.

Thanks
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.