• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice travelling from Luton or Heathrow Airports to Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ML_737

Hi, I have a few choices of airports to land at either Luton airport at 11pm. If I fly into Luton is there any way possible to hop to Milton Keynes and catch the 00:29 to Wolverhampton? Or would it be easier to fly into heathrow where I would land at just shy of 10pm, making the tube to Euston and making the 23:30 to wolves.

Just need a few options
Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Hi, I have a few choices of airports to land at either Luton airport at 11pm. If I fly into Luton is there any way possible to hop to Milton Keynes and catch the 00:29 to Wolverhampton? Or would it be easier to fly into heathrow where I would land at just shy of 10pm, making the tube to Euston and making the 23:30 to wolves.

Just need a few options
Cheers
Luton, if flight on time, a taxi might just make it. Journey about 30-35 minutes. Heathrow extremely unlikely to make Euston in time by any means.

robbeech

Established Member
Luton, if flight on time, a taxi might just make it. Journey about 30-35 minutes. Heathrow extremely unlikely to make Euston in time by any means.
Heathrow, certainly unlikely if you use the tube. HEX or a Taxi and you might just make it at that time of night.

andythebrave

Yes, agree, but not if there's any checked baggage involved.
To assist you can use the Flightradar24 app, search for the relevant flight number and you can then see its performance over the past week. It's no guarantee of your specific flight's arrival time (obviously) but if one has been consistently late, for example, that would potentially be a no no.

ML_737

I haven't booked the flight but the one that goes to Luton is a direct flight that only costs £20!!! From lviv in Ukraine. Whereas the one that goes to Heathrow is via Wawsaw on LOT,

There is no checked baggage

ML_737

If I go to Heathrow, flight lands at 9:45pm I can either take the tube (it's £30 cheaper then the HEX) Or just pay the extra money and take the hex??

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t try either of these options. You only need a small delay and you’re screwed. Luton has some pretty cheap hotels. Bunk there for the night if you can.

Andrew1395

Heathrow, cab to Watford Junction get the 23.41 which has a 6 minute connection for that Milton Keynes train. A pre booked taxi should take no more than 35 - 40 minutes to get to Watford Junction

ML_737

Right I'm probably going to fly into heathrow, and get the 724 bus to Watford junction ststion, then get the 23:28 to Milton Keynes, just about making the VT to wolves

ML_737

Actually there's 2 trains that I can take from Watford at half 11, both get me into Milton early enough to catch the VT

jfisher21

there is a national express coach from luton airport to wolverhampton at around midnight. its an overnight coach final destinations manchester / burnley.

ML_737

Right, Heathrow is looking like the likely Choice for me, is Euston ticket office, manual ticket checks in operation at 23:00 or not as it will make life easier and save time

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Right, Heathrow is looking like the likely Choice for me, is Euston ticket office, manual ticket checks in operation at 23:00 or not as it will make life easier and save time

The barriers are unlikely to be in operation that late, but you never know because VT do manual checks pretty randomly. However there are plenty of TVMs.

ML_737

Going to be tight, but I'll get the 22:18 HEX to Paddington, tube from pad to Euston and then hopefully just make it, pointless using the TVM due to the fact that I haven't got a card, using train line is pointless as I cant retrieve the tickets

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Going to be tight, but I'll get the 22:18 HEX to Paddington, tube from pad to Euston and then hopefully just make it, pointless using the TVM due to the fact that I haven't got a card, using train line is pointless as I cant retrieve the tickets

When are you travelling? Is there time to buy online for postal delivery?

Don't use trainline by the way, it charges fees. Use a TOC site instead.

ML_737

Next week, no because I am in eastern Europe, best bet for me Is to buy from the TM, (if he comes round) which on an late evening train it's unlikely, but I'm not sure

tony_mac

Established Member
Next week, no because I am in eastern Europe, best bet for me Is to buy from the TM, (if he comes round) which on an late evening train it's unlikely, but I'm not sure
Just so you know, if you decide not to buy a ticket before boarding then you may be liable to pay the full anytime fare (£91). It is actually a criminal offence, although Virgin don't normally prosecute unless you refuse to pay.

ML_737

Ah, didn't know that, as I don't have card on me, only cash, the ticket office will be presumably shut, so I was going to buy from the TM anyway without any intent to avoid paying

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The ticket office at Euston is open till midnight. I’m sure some of the TVMs take cash too.

jfisher21

they often check tickets at the entrance to the train at euston, they may even do that late at night!

jfisher21

if your flight is late (likely at Heathrow) or there are long immigration queues then it is also possible to get to Wolverhampton from there by overnight coach, changing at Birmingham.
heathrow.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.