• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Affordable tickets for the Caledonian Sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If the E&G 15 minute interval service isn't coming back, does make me wonder whether they could get into Queen Street...

Though suddenly their 5 car trains won't cut it any more. If they can easily fill them from Edinburgh, carrying on to Glasgow doesn't make commercial sense.
They would struggle to compete with Avanti and the airlines when the journey time is inevitably so much longer that way.

Plus they are benefitting from having had their track access agreement approved pre-Covid. Grand Union Trains presented an economically stronger case but were rejected, having missed the boat (or should that be the gravy train... ;)).

I doubt any further expansion of their service will be countenanced until/unless (and it's a big if) railway finances improve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tornado

The paths that Lumo use are going to be largely unchanged until the ECML recast, whenever that is. But not next year.

We don't actually know all their paths as they are only running 4 out of the 10 daily trains at the moment. Although I see that one run is already at 4 hour 3 mins.

Also, my personal preference for longer journeys is to maximise comfort rather than squeeze the door-to-door to a minimum. A 2 (or 1) stop LUMO to Edinbugh, stretch legs/eat, then a semi-fast to Glasgow seems a lot more relaxing to me than a 6-stop Avanti on a claustrophobic Pendalino. Obviously that won't cut the mustard with business people though.

Perhaps CS are correct to target the high end of the market, as they could never compete with LUMO-bracket pricing.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
We don't actually know all their paths as they are only running 4 out of the 10 daily trains at the moment.

We do, they are all in the published timetable and have been for months.

Perhaps CS are correct to target the high end of the market

Who knew!

Also, my personal preference for longer journeys is to maximise comfort rather than squeeze the door-to-door to a minimum. A 2 (or 1) stop LUMO to Edinbugh, stretch legs/eat, then a semi-fast to Glasgow seems a lot more relaxing to me than a 6-stop Avanti on a claustrophobic Pendalino. Obviously that won't cut the mustard with business people though.

Wouldn’t cut the mustard with most people. Given that most London - Glasgow services from Euston were fully reserved today (in Standard), I think most people can cope with the Pendolinos. I certainly don’t find the claustrophobic at all.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Airline Man

I’m not in the rail industry, know little about trains and have only been on one rail journey in the last six years!….but the Sleeper to Fort William is on my bucket list and I want the full works travelling in a Club cabin. My background is in revenue management and pricing for British Airways.

I‘m flexible about dates going to Fort William but paying around £630 return is pushing my budget a bit. Have any of you rail insiders got any tips on how I get the trip at a lower price, quieter and cheaper times to travel and how far out to book by? Guess the Caledonian Sleeper price by Revenue Management.

As a revenue management person I’m used to trying to charge as high a price as people can afford!

Thanks.

alistairlees

Established Member
I’m not in the rail industry, know little about trains and have only been on one rail journey in the last six years!….but the Sleeper to Fort William is on my bucket list and I want the full works travelling in a Club cabin. My background is in revenue management and pricing for British Airways.

I‘m flexible about dates going to Fort William but paying around £630 return is pushing my budget a bit. Have any of you rail insiders got any tips on how I get the trip at a lower price, quieter and cheaper times to travel and how far out to book by? Guess the Caledonian Sleeper price by Revenue Management.

As a revenue management person I’m used to trying to charge as high a price as people can afford!

Thanks.
Travel northbound on a Monday or Tuesday. Travel southbound on a Tuesday or Wednesday. At all costs avoid bank holiday weeks, and the week either side of Easter. November will be pretty quiet, but if you want to do it when there's lots of light then you should go in May or June.

Surprisingly you can get from London to Fort William on Thursday 2nd June for £285.00, and back again on Monday 6th or Tuesday 7th also for £285.00. Lots of other dates are already sold out - they will be selling fast! This is the lowest price you will get at the moment - demand for staycations is high. If you take another adult with you (and share the room) then the per person cost will come down a lot. If you take a child with you, and they share your room, then there is no additional cost.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'd rather charge as low as the competitor charges. As long as the Caledonian Sleeper is much more expensive than one night of Travelodge + the first easyJet from Gatwick on a Saturday, I will take the latter, as I did last weekend. Also, starting from Bournemouth, getting to Gatwick Airport is much cheaper than getting to London as well!

The Caledonian Sleeper at this state only caters business travellers who need to attend a business meeting at 09:00 in Central London on an business trip by a Scottish company (or vice versa). For anyone outside central London, it will be much more cost effective to book a night of Travelodge near the airport and take the first easyJet for the destination.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Surprisingly you can get from London to Fort William on Thursday 2nd June for £285.00, and back again on Monday 6th or Tuesday 7th also for £285.00. Lots of other dates are already sold out - they will be selling fast!
It's definitely one of the most interesting things about the Sleeper that even at these prices they can make some reasonable rates of occupancy on selling the experience. At £570 return they're competing with travelling on day trains at £185.70 and a hotel budget of £192.15 / night. I can see that there's in fact no shortage of mid range and upper mid range hotel rooms in some prime Glasgow and Edinburgh locations for less than £190 / night.

JamesT

Established Member
I'd rather charge as low as the competitor charges. As long as the Caledonian Sleeper is much more expensive than one night of Travelodge + the first easyJet from Gatwick on a Saturday, I will take the latter, as I did last weekend. Also, starting from Bournemouth, getting to Gatwick Airport is much cheaper than getting to London as well!

The Caledonian Sleeper at this state only caters business travellers who need to attend a business meeting at 09:00 in Central London on an business trip by a Scottish company (or vice versa). For anyone outside central London, it will be much more cost effective to book a night of Travelodge near the airport and take the first easyJet for the destination.
The question is how well loaded is the Sleeper at the current prices? If it’s pretty full, then dropping prices might simply be throwing away revenue from people willing to pay more with little opportunity to replace it.
The Sleeper is already heavily subsidised, anything that results in higher subsidy probably won’t fly.

Kite159

Veteran Member

And how many of those business travellers will go the night before (either by day-train or flying) then staying in a hotel, so they arrive at the meeting at 9:00 fresh after a decent nights sleep? (rather than risking a "oh sorry sir, your middle berth is broken, we have moved you to a berth above the wheels" kind of situation.

paul1609

Established Member
And how many of those business travellers will go the night before (either by day-train or flying) then staying in a hotel, so they arrive at the meeting at 9:00 fresh after a decent nights sleep? (rather than risking a "oh sorry sir, your middle berth is broken, we have moved you to a berth above the wheels" kind of situation.
The fact is that the sleeper hasn't had much in the way of business travellers since the mid eighties/early nineties even when it was dirt cheap. Its been a mainly leisure/ tourist operation in all the time I've been using and I'm old enough that my first trip was in a Mk1!

alistairlees

Established Member
The fact is that the sleeper hasn't had much in the way of business travellers since the mid eighties/early nineties even when it was dirt cheap. Its been a mainly leisure/ tourist operation in all the time I've been using and I'm old enough that my first trip was in a Mk1!
The Highlander, yes; the Lowlander, less so - there was decent business traffic on the Glasgow especially, but also on the Edinburgh, pre-Covid.

paul1609

Established Member
The Highlander, yes; the Lowlander, less so - there was decent business traffic on the Glasgow especially, but also on the Edinburgh, pre-Covid.
I'd agree there's more on the lowlander but it's still not much mostly southbound on sunday/Monday and Northbound Thursdays/Friday. The Glasgow portion had pre covid been in decline ever since the West Coast modernisation was completed. I recognise far more regulars on flights from Gatwick to Glasgow than I do on the sleeper.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yet it has been full or nearly full every time I've used it. People like sleeper trains. They tolerate easyJet. We do not live in a rational world and I am happy people actively choose night trains above budget airlines.

Fort William is almost all leisure, but the Aberdeen portion has a lot of frequent travellers who split their time between there and London.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yet it has been full or nearly full every time I've used it.
In this case the Caledonian Sleeper is priced correctly. Unfortunately this results in most travellers to use a environmentally damaging form of transport which can only be fixed by means of tax.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yet it has been full or nearly full every time I've used it. People like sleeper trains. They tolerate easyJet. We do not live in a rational world and I am happy people actively choose night trains above budget airlines.

I like the adventure of sleeper trains, but easyJet would give me a lot more sleep even with an 0400 start! :)

Plenty of people enjoy flying, to be fair. I do. Some of the airport faff isn't fun, but there are ways to avoid it by judicious choice of airport (where possible) or by doing stuff like paying the whatever-it-is-now to jump the queue at Luton.

Edit: still a fiver.

Fort William is almost all leisure, but the Aberdeen portion has a lot of frequent travellers who split their time between there and London.

The Aberdeen is pretty quiet these days, isn't it?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
In this case the Caledonian Sleeper is priced correctly. Unfortunately this results in most travellers to use a environmentally damaging form of transport which can only be fixed by means of tax.
The Highlander is basically full nearly all the time, so the problem is not the price but the fact even a full length train is not enough capacity for demand. And there are solutions to people choosing to fly to Scotland which don't involve taxing them.

The Aberdeen is pretty quiet these days, isn't it?
I hear so, although I have not been on the Aberdeen portion for several years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Highlander is basically full nearly all the time, so the problem is not the price but the fact even a full length train is not enough capacity for demand. And there are solutions to people choosing to fly to Scotland which don't involve taxing them.

I hear so, although I have not been on the Aberdeen portion for several years.

I still think the Aberdeen will end up being dropped at some point, which would give you two more coaches which can go to one of FW or Inverness, would give them spare seating/lounge coaches, would drastically simplify the Edinburgh shunt, and would remove the annoying "change in the middle of the night" thing. Aberdeen is much closer to Edinburgh/Glasgow than the other two destinations and so can much more easily be done with day trains or by changing off the Lowlander.

It's odd how things change, the FW was once the basket case.

miklcct

On Moderation
And there are solutions to people choosing to fly to Scotland which don't involve taxing them.
Apart from taxing flying, what incentive can be made to travellers for a weekend out on a typical Friday evening - Sunday schedule to get off the plane but take night trains instead? Telling them to sit on a daytime high-speed train is not a solution unless a trip from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh can be feasibly done under 3 hours, such that it can be time-competitive with flying even a connection is needed to board the high speed train. Remember that, for those not living in inner London, getting to an airport is usually faster than getting to a London Terminal because there are multiple airports surrounding London. For example, for a traveller starting from Brighton, by the time he reaches Kings Cross to board a high speed train, he would already be in the air if he chose to fly instead.

paul1609

Established Member
I still think the Aberdeen will end up being dropped at some point, which would give you two more coaches which can go to one of FW or Inverness, would give them spare seating/lounge coaches, would drastically simplify the Edinburgh shunt, and would remove the annoying "change in the middle of the night" thing. Aberdeen is much closer to Edinburgh/Glasgow than the other two destinations and so can much more easily be done with day trains or by changing off the Lowlander.

It's odd how things change, the FW was once the basket case.
Aberdeen's a lot further from Edinburgh (130ish miles) than Fort William is from Glasgow (100ish miles).
Unless things have changed in the last 3 years the Fort William portion is still a complete basket case from when the clocks change in October through to Easter. It maybe slightly less of a basket case than the Aberdeen because in the summer its booked out, despite being a fairly regular on the West Highland train I still can't remember meeting anyone in the Aberdeen Lounge car who wasn't travelling to West highland destinations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Aberdeen's a lot further from Edinburgh (130ish miles) than Fort William is from Glasgow (100ish miles).

That may be so, but Edinburgh-Aberdeen is 2.5 hours from Waverley (no crossing the city required) and is roughly hourly (with some gaps), while Glasgow to Fort Bill is three times a day and takes over an hour longer, so Aberdeen is without doubt an easier one to do as a connection.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Apart from taxing flying, what incentive can be made to travellers for a weekend out on a typical Friday evening - Sunday schedule to get off the plane but take night trains instead?
We've just established that the sleepers are basically full, very popular, many people's preferred mode, and also that they can charge what they like. The answer is surely for the surfeit in demand, to put on more Scottish sleepers - perhaps an earlier departure and subsidise the operation properly.

You could also try slot-restricting domestic flights to throttle the environmental damage, although that would be a more severe option.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
For example, for a traveller starting from Brighton, by the time he reaches Kings Cross to board a high speed train, he would already be in the air if he chose to fly instead.

No he wouldn’t.

It’s 47 minutes from Gatwick to St Pancras on a Thameslink train from
Brighton. To get off a train, to the right terminal (Scotland flights are generally from the north terminal), through bag drop, security etc, and be at the gate before it closes 30 minutes before departure is snot going to happen except in the luckiest of circumstances.

And then you have the trundle from pushback to actually taking off, which at Gatwick can be quite a journey!

Now do the sums for a traveller starting at Kingston, or Croydon, or Hampstead, or Hammersmith, or Streatham, or Orpington...

paul1609

Established Member
No he wouldn’t.

It’s 47 minutes from Gatwick to St Pancras on a Thameslink train from
Brighton. To get off a train, to the right terminal (Scotland flights are generally from the north terminal), through bag drop, security etc, and be at the gate before it closes 30 minutes before departure is snot going to happen except in the luckiest of circumstances.

And then you have the trundle from pushback to actually taking off, which at Gatwick can be quite a journey!

Now do the sums for a traveller starting at Kingston, or Croydon, or Hampstead, or Hammersmith, or Streatham, or Orpington...
I don't really want to start a flying v rail debate again but there's really not much in it:
Flights to Scotland in normal times are easyJet from North Terminal, BA from South Terminal.
As a regular Id normally arrive at Gatwick between an hour and 1 hr 30 before scheduled takeoff. I don't remember an occasion when I didn't get a coffee before takeoff, sometimes its a pint.
The rail alternative is 47 mins to St Pancras, then for normal (non priv pass) passengers minimum of 21 minutes transfer to Kings Cross. In reality the next train that you will be booked on to Edinburgh will be 1 h30 mins after your train left Gatwick Airport platform. Croydon or Streatham would be in the not much in it zone. Hammersmith or Kingston you'd presumably go to Heathrow.
Its Really only central London or North of the river that Rail has an advantage and then not if you are on a direct line to Luton or Stansted.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The rail alternative is 47 mins to St Pancras, then for normal (non priv pass) passengers minimum of 21 minutes transfer to Kings Cross.

I don’t see what difference having a Priv pass is for the walk from St P LL to Kings Cross … and it certainly isn’t 21 minutes!

If you mean the advertised minimum connection time, then of course any passenger can choose to ignore that - they just don’t get a refund if it goes wrong. Same principle for air passengers Arriving by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.