• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

After Koralmbahn opens, which trains will divert via this route

Any routes that can be rerouted via Koralmbahn after its opening?

• NJ Wien - La Spezia

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Extension of NJ Berlin - Graz to Klagenfurt, Villach or even Lienz

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Railjet from Wien - Italy/Villach/Lienz

• Diversion of EC Transalpin via Tauernbahn, Villach, Klagenfurt to Graz

• Diversion of NJ Zürich - Graz via Tauernbahn, Villach, Klagenfurt to Graz

• Extension of RJ Berlin/Praha - Graz

• Other

• Total voters

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I’m well aware how many they have.

They would still have 10 1216.2s to cover three RailJets and whatever else is required.

Because they’re not available. Indications are that Widmer Rail Services have acquired them.
haha I forgot that PKPIC has ordered Newag MS Locos for services to Germany/Austria/Czech Republic/Slovakia/Hungary. I think most of the services from Poland to Germany/Austria/Czech Republic/Slovakia/Hungary will immediately switch to Newag MS locos or EU44(except for Slovakia/Hungary)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
The detailed plan about route arrangements after the opening of Koralmbahn is shown in the following attachment.

Moderator Note - the attached file is not in English and is without a quote. Please add a brief summary/quote from the document in English.

Attachments

• at0.pdf
    946.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Austriantrain

Established Member
The detailed plan about route arrangements after the opening of Koralmbahn is shown in the following attachment.

The next to last graph shows the proposed timetable after opening of the Koralmbahn; on the last slide the one when the Semmering tunnel is ready. Everything except the last two pages can be ignored; those two are self-explanatory even though they are in German.

BTW, Vienna - Salzburg is not included because there is no PSO contract for it.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
The next to last graph shows the proposed timetable after opening of the Koralmbahn; on the last slide the one when the Semmering tunnel is ready. Everything except the last two pages can be ignored; those two are self-explanatory even though they are in German.

I will show the English translation version later

Veteran Member
And before anyone gets excited, the preceding tables are examples based closely on the existing service (at date of publication)

I think the only words needing translating are the frequencies: hourly, 2-hourly, 4-hourly, occasional!

Stephen Lee

On Moderation

The last 2 paragraph did not mention about EC Emona and EC Croatia, does it mean it will be discontinued when Koralmbahn opens?

Austriantrain

Established Member
The last 2 paragraph did not mention about EC Emona and EC Croatia, does it mean it will be discontinued when Koralmbahn opens?

If you look at the graph, you will see „two-hourly services“, sometimes coming from Vienna, via Villach towards Slovenia, and while I don’t think that these will really be two-hourly, there is a high likelihood that Vienna - Ljubljana will run via Villach in the future.

As regards Zagreb, indeed the plan doesn’t include anything definitive except an Interregio service from Graz to Slovenia, but it doesn’t exclude isolated services from Vienna on a commercial basis. As I have mentioned in another thread, unfortunately, demand is very limited and unlikely to change much due to the very slow nature of these services and the geographic detour they incur, whereas the motorway runs straight down to Zagreb.

DanNCL

Established Member
If you look at the graph, you will see „two-hourly services“, sometimes coming from Vienna, via Villach towards Slovenia, and while I don’t think that these will really be two-hourly, there is a high likelihood that Vienna - Ljubljana will run via Villach in the future.

As regards Zagreb, indeed the plan doesn’t include anything definitive except an Interregio service from Graz to Slovenia, but it doesn’t exclude isolated services from Vienna on a commercial basis. As I have mentioned in another thread, unfortunately, demand is very limited and unlikely to change much due to the very slow nature of these services and the geographic detour they incur, whereas the motorway runs straight down to Zagreb.
So is the eventual plan to hand over everything between Graz and Maribor to the new Slovenian FLIRTs?

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but even with the speed advantage of the Koralmbahn it doesn’t seem to me that Wien - Ljubljana would actually be any quicker via Villach as opposed to the current route?

Also noting the new Ljubljana - Milano service using Trenitalia units, is the combination of that and the Koralmbahn opening likely to mean the end of through carriages between Wien and Trieste?

Austriantrain

Established Member
Maybe I’m missing something obvious but even with the speed advantage of the Koralmbahn it doesn’t seem to me that Wien - Ljubljana would actually be any quicker via Villach as opposed to the current route?

It’s not, but it does enable direct connections between Klagenfurt and Ljubljana, which is a long-standing aim and rather more important than direct trains from Vienna to Maribor. It also enables a denser timetable between Villach and Ljubljana; there is more potential there (from both Vienna and Graz as well as Munich and Salzburg).

Graz - Maribor is really a regional express distance and Zagreb, as I mentioned and unfortunately, is a very difficult proposal.

However and obviously, this won’t happen if the Slovenes don’t agree, so let’s see how it works out.