• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AGA old fashioned station clocks/destination screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Why is it AGA has so many old NSE clocks and TV screens?

I am pretty sure almost every other TOC has replaced these.

Connex replaced most of their TV screens years ago and SWT standardized all stations with new screens which obviously include the time

Is it because this region has seen less investment or what?

It is like a time warp!

southminster two years ago but most likely still there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XufmT4_ESAw

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Despite the bulky size, these clocks were good as the ticking helped pass the time. You could become rather hypnotised by them!

AGA has the requirement to change the screens unlike Network Rail I believe. I assume there's a timetable to do upgrade work, and asking AGA could be a good idea.

EssexGonzo

I think they're getting around to replacing them. They've just done Shenfield in the last few weeks.

But on the platform-specific screens they still show the the irritating "Due" time only instead of the scheduled departure time and any delay. But on the summary screen in the ticket hall they show the scheduled departure time - so it's a challenge knowing which service on the front screen matches up to which service on the platform screens.

jon0844

Veteran Member
At Cheshunt, the screens show the destination and below the stopping pattern omits the destination.

e.g. Liverpool Street
calling at Tottenham Hale

I can't think of anywhere else that shows things like that? AGA told me that Cheshunt is getting new screens and it this will be fixed. Hopefully also sorting out things like platform 1 becoming 12b and other odd things that happen on occasion.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I hated the noise those things made; they'd have been better had they been silent!

Clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunnNNKKKK*... clunk... clunk...

*That's the hour changing.

NeilWatson

At Cheshunt, the screens show the destination and below the stopping pattern omits the destination.

e.g. Liverpool Street
calling at Tottenham Hale

I can't think of anywhere else that shows things like that? AGA told me that Cheshunt is getting new screens and it this will be fixed. Hopefully also sorting out things like platform 1 becoming 12b and other odd things that happen on occasion.

To me that makes perfect sense, it's obvious that a train to Liverpool Street calls there!

387star

On Moderation
Even the isle of wight no longer has those clocks except perhaps at shanklin ticket office which still has a nse blind in what appears to be good condition!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Even the isle of wight no longer has those clocks except perhaps at shanklin ticket office which still has a nse blind in what appears to be good condition!
Well I think one station at least should preserve them.

railnerd

Hi.
If it aint broke... dont fix it!

Its like the red road signals on level crossings. I think many were changed to LEDs for the sake of it. I could understand it if they were life expired. Im sure NR would argue that the bulbs seldom fail. Ive reported several failed ones tho, usually at AHBs.

PeterY

Established Member
I hated the noise those things made; they'd have been better had they been silent!

Clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunk... clunnNNKKKK*... clunk... clunk...

*That's the hour changing.

I loved the clunking sound. I actually enjoyed the NSE era. If I travel around, I still keep a look out for anything with the NSE branding.

I hope one of the clocks is going to be preserved.

I loved the clunking sound. I actually enjoyed the NSE era. If I travel around, I still keep a look out for anything with the NSE branding.

I hope one of the clocks is going to be preserved.

Have a wander around Liverpool Street, plenty kicking around down there still if you look closely. Also the NSE "return to Bishops Stortford" trolley at Ely.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Hi.

Its like the red road signals on level crossings. I think many were changed to LEDs for the sake of it. I could understand it if they were life expired. Im sure NR would argue that the bulbs seldom fail. Ive reported several failed ones tho, usually at AHBs.

It's work being carried out as a result of the Beech Hill LC accident and fatality.

The resulting RAIB report revealed the design of wig-wag red light installed at Beech Hill emitted insufficient levels of light to meet the relevant standard (one light was almost 80% below specification) and that the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident may, as a result, have been unable to see that the wig-wag lights were illuminated until shortly before entering the crossing, at which point it was too late to stop short of the crossing.

The recommendation from the RAIB report was to replace all lights of the same type as those fitted at Beech Hill with new LED lights which meet or exceed the revised standards, which is why otherwise serviceable light fittings on crossings are being binned.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
To be fair to AGA, they inherited a large amount of stations that had been deprived of any kind of TLC for many years by National Express.

Most stations were not even given a basic clean, let alone have their equipment replaced by more modern equivalents in the whole of their tenure.

The departure screens in Ipswich ticket hall were broken for years on end, with various types of old screens brought in that had been robbed from elsewhere inc Stansted Airport to avoid actually having to buy any new ones.

Tio Terry

Hi.

Cant remember where it was but there was an accident at an AHB where a contributory cause was poor quality red flashing lights in low level sunlight conditions caused by ageing of the lens/reflectors/lamps. LED's don't suffer from the same problems so, in some ways, it makes perfect sense to change them. I seem to recall that all older incandescent lighting systems at AHB's had to be checked for adequate levels of light.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Cant remember where it was but there was an accident at an AHB where a contributory cause was poor quality red flashing lights in low level sunlight conditions caused by ageing of the lens/reflectors/lamps.

Sounds like Wokingham, 2008?

Wronskian

Have a wander around Liverpool Street, plenty kicking around down there still if you look closely. Also the NSE "return to Bishops Stortford" trolley at Ely.

(Ely's my local station.) How long has that trolley been there? It's certainly been a fixture for a while.

Ely had its monitors replaced quite recently, presumably as part of the same AGA upgrades.

Ambient Sheep

As someone who mainly travels on AGA (on the WAML) I had no idea that these lovely clocks were seen as outdated and due to be replaced. :( I'm another who loves them, and finds the ticking comforting.

Rick1984

If I rember correctly, the clock in Shanklin doesn't work (isn't switched on). Also I wouldn't like to hazard how long the ticket office has been closed there!

Status
Not open for further replies.